🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

My no claims bonus is over 2 years old. Who will insure me?

Options
I have 5 years no claims bonus but I've not had insurance for the last 2 and a half years (because I lived in London and didn't need a car, then I moved overseas).

I tried 2 insurers and both of them insisted that the no claims discount had to have been issued within the last 2 years. As mine was issued in May 2008, they don't take account of it at all.

If I cannot use my 5 years NCB, the price of insurance goes up from £370 to £800!!!

Are there any insurers which will accept my 5 years NCB?

Thanks

Comments

• Dan_Smith
    Options
    Aviva will accept up to 3 years from any previous insurer.

Co-op will accept up to 3 years if the previous policy was with them.

Otherwise try a broker like Adrian Flux.
  • big-saver_2
    Options
    Thanks for the tips.

Aviva quoted £595. They confirmed that they would accept an NCB up to 3 years old. £595 is much better than the best quote I had for 0 years no claims (£800). But its a lot more than the £370 if I was expecting to pay. This 2 year NCX expiry is very costly!

I called Adrian Flux and they quoted £641 with an insurer that would also accept NCB up to 3 years old.

The same quotes for third party fire and theft were: Aviva £465 and Adrian Flux £447.

So I think I will go with the Adrian Flux quote. In 12 months time, I will then have 6 years NCB and will be able to use it for any insurance company and expect to get my premium back down below £300.

I have 5 days left to choose, so if anyone else knows can recommend an insurance company or broker that will accept an NCB that is 2.5 years old, I'd love to hear it!

Thanks
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If your interested in TPF&T (Or Third Party Twist and Bust as my old colleague used to call it) try getting comprehensive quotes with a bigger excess altough bear in mind that Aviva apply the voluntary excess to fire and theft claims which is fairly unusual
  • big-saver_2
    Options
    Thanks for the tips.

The car will definitely be on a public road, so no chance to improve the quote there.

I will try adding a mature female to the quote to see if that helps. (I've had a license for 17 years and I have a clean record so it might not make a difference but if it does then great).

I will try Quidco too...
  • Disillusioned8
    Options
    I'm not sure how this works at all, and maybe I am posting a message cross-thread ? I hope not, but if I am then please forgive me as I've never posted before. I just need to get this off my chest !

I am currently feeling a bit disappointed and disillusioned with Aviva, and I am leaning towards feeling that they have taken advantage of me. It may be the case that I have been a little naive and thoughtless, but still...here's the story so far...

I wanted to know if any insurance companies would take my 4 years no claims discount into consideration even though it is almost 3 years since it expired. When I did a Google search I was directed onto non-other-than this website and THIS THREAD !
    I discovered that (apparently) Aviva accept NCD up to 3 years old... Imagine my excitement...
    I immediately went to their website and filled out the application without a moments hesitation. My visa debit card was repeatedly declined, so I rang them up to complete the application over the phone. That was at the start of November. I posted off the letter confirming my NCD when prompted to do so by Aviva, later in the month, and thought nothing more of it.
    Today (8th December 2011), I received a letter dated 1st December 2011 telling me to contact Aviva customer services. When I did so, they informed me that they only accept NCD up to 2 years old. Of course, being keen to keep my NCD, I said I will cancel the policy with them - with the intention of finding an insurer who will take my NCD into consideration (so I don't lose it altogether). I was promptly informed that in order to cancel the policy I would have to pay an extra £26 over the phone then and there, obviously on top of the £106.84 I had already paid for the deposit.
    I felt like an utter idiot and I still do. I will never use Aviva again on principal, but I felt like I had to warn your readers too.

Yes I feel quite hard done by, and there is a bad taste left after my experiences with Aviva. Obviously there are huge lessons to be learnt from my experience, but is there any way of recouping the money I have lost ? I doubt it, but perhaps at least we can prevent anyone else from making the same mistake. Aviva humph.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thank you for posting, newbie.

I've been w/o my own insurance for just under 2 years now and was thinking of buying a replacement car soon...now I'm seriously worried.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • FlameCloud
    FlameCloud Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Did you actually bother to look? The posts above are more than a year old and things can change.

Their quote engine says about NCD-

The main driver will earn No Claim Discount (NCD) at renewal dependant on claims history. We define the main driver as the most frequent user and their NCD can only be used on one vehicle at any time. NCD from a previous insurer must have been earned within 2 years; we will not accept NCD earned as a named driver. Proof may be required. Introductory discount may be available based on your driving history if:
    • You have been named as a driver on an Aviva policy or you have been the sole user of a company car
    • Your NCD has been earned abroad
    Please call us on 0800 260 0462 to confirm any introductory discount.
  • big-saver_2
    Options
    Very few car insurers accept NCB older than 2 years.

Try these two:

1. AXA Car insurance - I think they accept up to 3 year old NCB. I used them when I was in your position and a 1 year policy for third party, fire and theft only cost £300. After completing 1 year with them, I know have 6 years NCB and can use it with any insurer.

2. Adrian Flux - one of the best brokers. They can probably help you find an insurer that accepts 2+ years old NCB.

VfM4meplse - get insured before your NCB is 2 years old or you'll probably end up spending a lot more on it!
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    big-saver wrote: »
    Very few car insurers accept NCB older than 2 years.

Try these two:

1. AXA Car insurance - I think they accept up to 3 year old NCB.....

AXA online will only accept NCB up to 2 years "old".
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Today (8th December 2011), I received a letter dated 1st December 2011 telling me to contact Aviva customer services. When I did so, they informed me that they only accept NCD up to 2 years old.....I will never use Aviva again on principal, but I felt like I had to warn your readers too.

Yes I feel quite hard done by, and there is a bad taste left after my experiences with Aviva........

You are hard done by!

Complain about this using their complaints procedure.

Get a screen print of their web page FAQ (question 10) regarding "old" NCD, and ask them to honour this:

https://aviva.creativevirtual.com/AvivaBot/bot.htm?isJSEnabled=1&entry=no%20claim%20discount&isJSEnabled=1&SiteContext=CAR

(Select question 10):
    You asked:

How long is no claims discount for car insurance valid for?

Our answer:
    Aviva will honour no claims discount (NCD) provided that your previous car insurance policy expired within 3 years of the start date of the new one. This NCD remains valid as long as it has not been used on another car.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure