Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Freebies (no spend required) > Free Sat Nav App for iphone/ipad from itunes (Nav... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Free Sat Nav App for iphone/ipad from itunes (Navfree UK & ROI)
Views: 236,703
# 1
WOW Factor 0
revpeachy
Old 29-09-2010, 2:35 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Free Sat Nav App for iphone/ipad from itunes (Navfree UK & ROI)

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/navfr...391334793?mt=8

NAVFREE The world's first FREE 'onboard' professional GPS navigation software, with turn-by-turn directions, voice guidance, auto-rerouting, live ‘Google’ Search, for the iPhone and iPad. The best GPS navigation software for the iPhone/iPad for FREE

Official MoneySavingExpert insert: If you've got an iPhone, simply download this free app which works as a sat nav.

MSE Darren tried this a couple of years ago and his view was "it works well as a sat nav, though some of the maps aren't 100% up to date. If you're doing a cross country trip it should get you there, but for accurate traversing of small road you may have some problems. Still if you don't have a sat nav, and don't need one, but would like one for back up - its a cracker for the price (ie free!)"

Also, it says on the iTunes app page for this that "No data connection is required for downloading maps".

Thanks to Revpeachy for posting.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Debs; 04-09-2012 at 7:17 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 39 Users Say Thank You to revpeachy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Li0nhead
Old 13-10-2010, 1:19 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Send a message via ICQ to Li0nhead Send a message via MSN to Li0nhead

Great find.
Just checked my local area, several street names need changing, which i am doing via the "map feedback tool" on the program.

Remember the "map feed back tool" because just think if we all update the errors it will be the best mapping system in the world. As nothing beats local knowledge.
Feel for those worse off than yourself. Don't feel for those unwilling to better themselves.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Li0nhead For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
liv1975
Old 13-10-2010, 9:14 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

How does this compare to Skobbler? I've been using that on the iPhone for a while now and find it very good.
The Following User Says Thank You to liv1975 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
demondoctor
Old 13-10-2010, 9:59 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Send a message via AIM to demondoctor Send a message via MSN to demondoctor

I used this and it took me on a much longer journey (added about 0.5 hours to a 2 hour journey) and ended up going across a toll bridge I didn't even know existed. I believe it's because it has the speed limits for most roads wrong so when set to fastest route, it takes you on roads it thinks are faster.
# 5
expressman33
Old 13-10-2010, 12:35 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

does this work on ipod touch ?
# 6
Li0nhead
Old 13-10-2010, 2:25 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Send a message via ICQ to Li0nhead Send a message via MSN to Li0nhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by expressman33 View Post
does this work on ipod touch ?
Yes.

But unless you could maintain a Wi-fi connection for the full journey its hard to use as a GPS in the car.
Feel for those worse off than yourself. Don't feel for those unwilling to better themselves.
# 7
MissLead
Old 13-10-2010, 3:00 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I have downloaded this and will have a go. Have been using Google Maps quite successfully up until now but it isn't a substitute for a true satnav system, at least I imagine so! I will post again when I have used it! Thanks for the tip!
# 8
fat_tony
Old 13-10-2010, 4:27 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Despite being quite into technology, ive never had sat nav on my iphone or ipad. Does it require an internet connection when out and about, or just a phone signal? The reason I ask is that I live very rurally, and nether the phone or internet can be taken for granted. My slow broadband is taking forever to download the app, im interested to know if its even worth it for me (ie will I be able to use it?)

Thanks for any info
# 9
helenhugs
Old 13-10-2010, 5:47 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Fantastic thanks great for hubbys phone no iphone for me though unfortunately.
We don't need to do it perfectly - good enough is exactly that GOOD ENOUGH.
Good Enough Club member number 8
£2 coin club = now in a sealed tin so I'm not sure
# 10
theitguy
Old 13-10-2010, 6:45 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Unhappy Doesn't know many towns

I suppose you should ask for much when it's free but this app doesn't even show my town in any detail at all. No roads at all for my town.

The GPS location just shows me as being in the middle of nowhere.
# 11
zipman23
Old 13-10-2010, 9:06 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I've just bought an iPhone so I might try this app!

I used Google Maps Navigation on my old phone for a simple journey just to see how it worked. When it should have told me to stay in the left hand lane, it told me to stay in the right hand lane and took me through the Tyne Tunnel (it was too late to get back into the correct lane as it was too busy). Anyhoo...the guy at the toll on the other end found the funny side of it and stopped all the traffic so I could do a u-turn and go back through!

Worst thing is that for a new product it didn't know very much as the roundabout in question has been closed for over 2 years!
English by birth. GEORDIE by the grace of God.
The Following User Says Thank You to zipman23 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Fairy-Home
Old 26-10-2010, 9:30 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thumbs up Please don't complain about the maps.

Both NavFree and Skobbler use the OpenStreetMap mapping system (http://www.openstreetmap.org/) which I quote:

Quote:
OpenStreetMap is a free editable map of the whole world. It is made by people like you.

OpenStreetMap allows you to view, edit and use geographical data in a collaborative way from anywhere on Earth
The whole point is that YOU can improve the maps and everyone will benefit.

So if you find an error, please learn how to use OpenStreetMap and correct it. If you don't feel technically savvy enough then at least use the reporting tool in the apps to report the error so that someone else can correct the map.

But please don't complain - what do you want for FREE?

I've used both, but prefer Skobbler, and sometimes it does direct you some strange ways - when I check the maps it is often something that just needs correcting on the map, not a problem with the application itself.

Use and enjoy.
# 13
ali1511
Old 26-10-2010, 10:55 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Good back up for satnav

My 4 year old tomtom go packed up half way to Manchester recently, it wouldn't hold any charge and the battery was flat.

All I had was the maps on my iPhone. I never keep a map in the car (I would need an A-Z of Manchester and every other town in the country!).

Fortunately I had a colleague with me who could just about follow the iPhone map allbeit with difficulty as it didn't update quickly enough.

So I'm downloading this free app, in case my new tomtom goes faulty. I do 30,000 business miles a year so I can't manage without reliable satnav!

I will test it out and update the database if I find errors. These things are only as good as their contributors

I don't think you can expect the same quality from a freebie as something you would pay £100's for, but if it gets me where I'm going evetually, that's got to be better than being lost in the middle of nowhere. (which did happen to me and was terrifying- hence the original tomtom purchase)
# 14
Lisaberry
Old 26-10-2010, 11:15 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Will this suck data like nobodys business? I downloaded this a while ago but worry that no free data on the iPhone is no more I will end up using my allowance very quickly??
If my words are missing letters then please excuse me....my keyboard is a tad dodgy!!
# 15
pedro43
Old 27-10-2010, 9:26 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

it doesn't know the best or quickest routes, spent 40 minutes with someone else driving following this satnav compared to the route i was telling the driver to take, my router 20 minutes, satnav 40.

use with caution.
plan your route in advance.
# 16
cleveden
Old 27-10-2010, 9:44 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by theitguy View Post
I suppose you should ask for much when it's free but this app doesn't even show my town in any detail at all. No roads at all for my town.

The GPS location just shows me as being in the middle of nowhere.
Do you live in the sea?
The Following User Says Thank You to cleveden For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
Sachin_Joshi
Old 27-10-2010, 10:01 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks for this - but I already have Skobbler and if they both use the same source for maps, I don't think they will be any different.

Can someone explain why Skobbler uses a fraction of the memory (~ 4MB) on the iPhone as compared to this (~ 295 MB) if they are both sourced from the same data?
# 18
biggad
Old 27-10-2010, 10:03 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guanajuato View Post
Just thought I'd add, for the benefit of people using Android phones, WAZE is free and pretty good. It uses OpenStreetMap as well.
isn't google navigation better and also free?
# 19
Simon_c
Old 27-10-2010, 10:14 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Dubious reliability

Hi,

I've used this app for a couple of weeks now, and although it's good for the price, it's not fool proof, which is a shame for a satnav, which you'd only use in areas where you've no idea anyway.

It once even tried to direct me to drive across the Thames !

On the plus side, it does download all the data to the phone, so you can used it even when out of 3g signal area, but it's data is out of date. There's several places where it's wrong, but the underlying openstreetmap data has already been corrected.

It's speed limits are also wrong. It seems to use the same figure for calculating the time it takes to get somewhere, as the speed limit for the "driving too fast" warning.

I'm guessing they will ultimately try to add some paid for content like live trafic updates etc ontop of the free data. It's a good effort, but only really useful at a pinch, and be careful of rivers
# 20
davester
Old 27-10-2010, 10:34 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Noone has mentioned the danger of sticking your ipad on your winscreen to use as a satnav, It would probably be illegal to do due to the loss of vision
Survey earnings total 2009 £417, 2010 £875, 2011 £574