The future is bright for 3Dogs and it's about time too

Options
3Dogs
3Dogs Posts: 14,092 Forumite
edited 29 September 2010 at 5:22PM in Debt free diaries
I thought it was about time I started a diary to record what led to our debt problems, how we are now dealing with our debt, and how we are feeling while we deal with it all

So, the story so far - part one:

Our problems all started when I got arthritis in my hands in 1988'ish and, by the latter part of 1989 it was affecting my feet too. I worked in the Civil Service and was not much use as I couldn't even hold a pen to write or hold a cup to drink my tea (not much use for a Civil Servant I hear you say ), and walking round the office was agony. Added to that, I had to use my car for visiting at work and I could only rest my wrists on the steering wheel not grip it - not very safe!!! When my health problems came to a head, I was offered Ill-Health Retirement and so I retired at the end of 1989, at the grand old age of 36

Anyway, I went from a very good salary to a much smaller pension and we carried on spending as if I was still at work I had actually been earning more than Mr 3Dogs so the drop in income was quite a tidy sum. Neither of us had ever been much good at budgeting and we had debts that we still had to clear, which I did, one way or another

Things went on, I seemed to improve a little, so I took up part-time work in 1997 until 2001 but had to pack that in when my health began to deteriorate again. By then, the arthritis was in most of my joints and it was getting me down a lot

We had not learned from our previous problems however, and, even though I was getting my pension and hubbie was on a good wage, were getting more and more into debt

And then the next bombshell hit .....................................................................

....................... to be continued
:( Mr 3Dogs 3-7-12 :( 3Dogs'Mam 31-3-13 :(

Comments

• savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 September 2010 at 6:01PM
    Options
    3Dogs, hello. So good to hear from you. I await the next instalment with interest. I am subscribing. 000204AE.gif 00020637.gif 000203F8.gif
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • 3Dogs
    Options
    Hello petal - glad to see you here

Just gonna have something to eat then will be back on here later to let you know what we got at the auction this morning
  • hantsindebt
    Options
    hi 3dogs, good to see your writing a diary,,,, looking forward to reading about it, seeing u know so much about me,,,,, (was joking) hope u had a productive time at the auction, did u get a good price for Mr 3dogs? hehehe xxx
    Eating sensibly to try and lose some weight
  • steviehants
    Options
    Hello 3Dgs,

How nice to see you on here and wish you all the best. Am so pleased ive found you again.
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 September 2010 at 6:59PM
    Options
    The weather has been glorious here down south but the sun is going in now. I need some advice, I am supposed to be going to an important friends 40th birthday party tomorrow. Now i have a stonking cold and dont want to infect anyone, do i go????0002044F.gif
  • 3Dogs
    Options
    Welcome to my diary Steve, Andy and SW

I was trying to PM you the link Andy but couldn't find your user name - I looked for AndyHants ...... and HantsAndy ....... then I remembered that you posted once on Notice to Newcomers so I went back page by page, post by post and found you ..... eventually - and of course you were HantsinDebt on here - how could I have forgotten that? Anyway, I went to your profile to PM you and noticed you had 2 posts so took a guess at what the second one was and here you are already - :T :T

SW I would take a hot drink (preferably a hot toddy with whisky or brandy) and get to bed to see if you sleep it off and then see what you're like in the morning
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    Gosh i have missed your avatar!!! Hellooooo. How was the auction today?
  • 3Dogs
    Options
    hi 3dogs, good to see your writing a diary,,,, looking forward to reading about it, seeing u know so much about me,,,,, (was joking) hope u had a productive time at the auction, did u get a good price for Mr 3dogs? hehehe xxx

I know lots and lots about you Andy - and not just from you diaries either ;);)

And I wouldn't sell Mr 3Dogs for anything - not these days anyway!!! There's times in the past I might have (not really) but he has mellowed in his old age!!!

00020454.gif
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    Has he seen that picture? he will laugh!!!
  • 3Dogs
    Options
    Gosh i have missed your avatar!!! Hellooooo. How was the auction today?

Well we got 5 lots

1st lot was £10 and included an ironing board (??? I know, what's one of them??), a lovely clothes airer, some pipe insulation, a carpet sweeper, and a couple of other things I can't remember!! We can sell these for more than the £10 and we also got a 3 x 36" Sliding Wardrobe Kit which we will use ourselves for our bedroom - all the tracking and fittings we will need - this would have cost a fortune at the D-I-Y store and we've got it free!!!:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport