Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    cashferret
    ISAs: do they ever need declaring on a tax return?
    • 2nd Sep 10, 5:41 PM
    ISAs: do they ever need declaring on a tax return? 2nd Sep 10 at 5:41 PM
    My bank has sent me a tax certificate for an ISA and I shredded it, thinking that I didn't need to mention it on my tax return. I told this to a friend, who said that she believed that you have to put the interest on your self-assessment form.

On the HMRC website, it says:

"Q. What are the tax benefits of an ISA?

A. You pay no tax on any of the income you receive from your ISA savings and investments [...] You do not have to declare income and capital gains from ISA savings and investments or even tell your tax office that you have an ISA."

If you don't have to put your ISA interest on your tax form, why do banks send out tax certificates for them? I'm confused! And worried I am doing something wrong!
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

316Posts Today

2,512Users online

Martin's Twitter