Free solar panel discussion

Options

Comments

• Gizmosmum_2
    Options
    True, I'm waiting to see how Isis etc do it. I suspect it's done through the remote reading that decent installers will provide. This will give you real time (2 hour delay) readings of actual electricity generated.

Does anyone else know how it's happening? You can definitely transfer the FIT rights - it's in the documentation.
    Target of wind & watertight by Sept 2011 :D
  • PK49
    PK49 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Gizmosmum wrote: »
    True, I'm waiting to see how Isis etc do it. I suspect it's done through the remote reading that decent installers will provide. This will give you real time (2 hour delay) readings of actual electricity generated.

Does anyone else know how it's happening? You can definitely transfer the FIT rights - it's in the documentation.

To what documentation are you referring?

Surely, if you move and 'take the fit with you', that would only apply if where you are moving to has pv solar installation?
  • John_Pierpoint
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    T
    I am not ignoring wind or any other generating medium. I was merely making the point that solar has no effect on the required generating capacity of UK ltd.

Unless you store it as pumped storage, or by turning on domestic appliances remotely and turning them off during the evening.

I agree there will be very little summer sunshine that gets stored this way for winter use, but the concept will soften up domestic consumers for paying for electricity by the half hour, just like large consumers already do.

I remember an old house that had the remains of primitive antique wiring (bare wire laid in grooves in a plank with a cover nailed over it)
    It had a "meter" that included a solenoid (electric magnet) that tipped a tube with ball bearings in it. If the householder overloaded the system more ball bearings would be dragged into the other end of the glass tubing. The bill then "fined" the householder for this excessive peak demand - there is nothing new under the sun.

During the winter the objective will be to avoid turning on jet engines burning precious (Russian?) gas to meet the peak load. Much better to burn that stuff in a condensing boiler, if heat is what is really needed.

Off gas grid properties would be using heat pumps, remotely turned on when the electricity was in a cheap half hour or set by the owners to turn on when the price fell to an acceptable level.
  • Gizmosmum_2
    Options
    The Fit documentation - there are legal clauses built in to cover the transfer of fit.

You don't have to move to a house with pv to still get the fit from your original installation. The FIT contract allocates the payment to you regardless of whether you live in the house or not. I'm a landlord and I'm putting it in 2 of the houses that I rent out. This will make renting the property easier for me and provide an additional income once the panels have paid for themselves.

The key is how it is monitored, as Nang points out it's paid at the minute by providing the meter reading which could be a bit more difficult if you're not living in the house. Of course it's nothing that can't be built into an agreement when you move. Something like you can have the free electric the panel generates as long as you provide the meter reading every quarter.
  • Jon_Tiffany
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    That is overal consumption in kWh - not load in kW at peak times(early evening in winter - when people get home from work and put on heating, start cooking etc)
    I am not ignoring wind or any other generating medium. I was merely making the point that solar has no effect on the required generating capacity of UK ltd.

Yes, but of that peak demand, how much was from industry? While you may not be able to change peoples habits much (e.g. putting on the kettle when getting home from work), industry can certainly make changes. In fact if there is a financial incentive they will find a way.

I agree that the peak demand is always going to be at 5pm on a winters day, but you must agree that the peak can be reduced with the introduction of smart meters and smart pricing?

You must also agree that the input from solar pv will allow the existing power stations to run at a lower load, thereby reducing the amount of fossil fuel/imported gas they use?
  • Jon_Tiffany
    Options
    The Fit documentation - there are legal clauses built in to cover the transfer of fit.

You don't have to move to a house with pv to still get the fit from your original installation. The FIT contract allocates the payment to you regardless of whether you live in the house or not. I'm a landlord and I'm putting it in 2 of the houses that I rent out. This will make renting the property easier for me and provide an additional income once the panels have paid for themselves.

The key is how it is monitored, as Nang points out it's paid at the minute by providing the meter reading which could be a bit more difficult if you're not living in the house. Of course it's nothing that can't be built into an agreement when you move. Something like you can have the free electric the panel generates as long as you provide the meter reading every quarter.

ASG use meters that send the data over the mobile phone network. No reason why you couldn't have one of those installed.
  • PK49
    PK49 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options

Scenario:- Person 'A' owns house; pays leccy bill to XYZ; installs pv system; gets FIT payment from XYZ.
    'A' sells house et al to 'B'; 'B' stays with XYZ and should therefore qualify for the FIT payment, as he now owns the house and pv system.
    OR - are you saying that 'A' would still get the FIT payment as he installed pv in the first place? That's how it reads.
    Do you think 'B' will be happy with that arrangement?
    Surely, FIT payment goes to the name on the bill?
    And you would expect people to read the meter quaterly for your benefit?
    Do your tenants pay the bill, or you?
    :think:
  • Jon_Tiffany
    Options
    PK49 wrote: »
    Scenario:- Person 'A' owns house; pays leccy bill to XYZ; installs pv system; gets FIT payment from XYZ.
    'A' sells house et al to 'B'; 'B' stays with XYZ and should therefore qualify for the FIT payment, as he now owns the house and pv system.
    OR - are you saying that 'A' would still get the FIT payment as he installed pv in the first place? That's how it reads.
    Do you think 'B' will be happy with that arrangement?
    Surely, FIT payment goes to the name on the bill?
    And you would expect people to read the meter quaterly for your benefit?
    Do your tenants pay the bill, or you?
    :think:

Yes, that is correct. You could sell you house and still recieve the FIT payments. I would not matter if the new owner changed supplier. I certainly would not expect the new owner to read the meter, unless it had been agreed.

If I was buying a house with solar panels installed I would expect to be buying both the solar panels and the FITs.
  • Gizmosmum_2
    Options
    I'm not sure it's a huge issues about the fit transfer now - there's a few "switched on" if you'll excuse the pun, people but most haven't cottoned on to the huge potential this has and would be happy to have free electric compared to the house next door or down the street that doesn't have any.

If you need to pass on the Fit rights with the sale then according to Rightmove employees they are valuing properties at approx 6% more if they have solar pv - making 200k house worth 212k. So you don't need to be in the property too long to at least make a bit of cash out of it even if you have to sell it later with the pv and fit.

Of course the price of properties could collapse - along with this argument. :eek:

PK - my tenants pay their own bills but I know that if my properties have electricity bills that are approx 30 - 40% cheaper than anyone else's they will be the first ones to go.
  • Gizmosmum_2
    Options
    ASG use meters that send the data over the mobile phone network. No reason why you couldn't have one of those installed.

Thanks for that - I think they are about £500 but covers the issue of moving. Problem solved. :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport