External wall insulation

Options
Rather than cavity wall this seems a much better option as there is no risk of creating a bridge between both skins of the wall .House we are moving to, the pointing seems a bit ropey in parts and there are signs of spalling ( brick erosion) and this seemed a good way of both protecting the brickwork and providing good insulation( typically saving 25-355 on fuel bills).Id like to know if any one has had experience of having it fitted(good/bed) and what the costs would be:)
Argentine by birth,English by nature

Comments

• iamcornholio
    iamcornholio Posts: 1,900 Forumite
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with cavity wall insualtion

External insualtion will create potentially more problems, will have regular maintenance costs and will required special detailing around opening and at ground and eaves levels, and will significantly alter the external appearance of the property

In addition, any future buyer will normally prefer a house with or requiring repointing, rather than some limited life external insualtion system

An external insualtion system is the least preferable method of insualting masonry walls. There are potential issues with condensation and breathability of the walls, along with efficiency and payback times compared to other methods
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    donmaico wrote: »
    Rather than cavity wall this seems a much better option as there is no risk of creating a bridge between both skins of the wall .House we are moving to, the pointing seems a bit ropey in parts and there are signs of spalling ( brick erosion) and this seemed a good way of both protecting the brickwork and providing good insulation( typically saving 25-355 on fuel bills).Id like to know if any one has had experience of having it fitted(good/bed) and what the costs would be:)

Good evening: not an insulation option I would consider as I would question the longevity, effectiveness and cost (initial and ongoing)...more here.

HTH

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • donmaico
    donmaico Posts: 376 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

External insualtion will create potentially more problems, will have regular maintenance costs and will required special detailing around opening and at ground and eaves levels, and will significantly alter the external appearance of the property

In addition, any future buyer will normally prefer a house with or requiring repointing, rather than some limited life external insualtion system

An external insualtion system is the least preferable method of insualting masonry walls. There are potential issues with condensation and breathability of the walls, along with efficiency and payback times compared to other methods

well i was set on cavity wall insulation but because i live in seaside village with its predominately south westerly winds laden with salt,I was strongly advised by a surveyor and a local builder against opting for it .They reckoned the salt would corrode the wall ties much more quickly due to the bridging which would also encourage penetrating damp.
    My other option would be to just render the walls and concentrate on rafter insulation as I live in a chalet bungalow
  • ewcs
    ewcs Posts: 112 Forumite
    Options
    donmaico wrote: »
    well i was set on cavity wall insulation but because i live in seaside village with its predominately south westerly winds laden with salt,I was strongly advised by a surveyor and a local builder against opting for it .They reckoned the salt would corrode the wall ties much more quickly due to the bridging which would also encourage penetrating damp.
    My other option would be to just render the walls and concentrate on rafter insulation as I live in a chalet bungalow
    your surveyor & local builder are spot on, take no notice of some on here, there are external systems on the market now with 70/80 no crack and once applied are maintainance free, :T
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    ewcs wrote: »
    your surveyor & local builder are spot on, take no notice of some on here, there are external systems on the market now with 70/80 no crack and once applied are maintainance free, :T

Good morning: having renovated and lived in house on the south coast I would advise the OP to spend his/her money on addressing the pointing/spalling and taking other measures to save energy e.g. loft insulation, lagging of HW pipe work, fitting heating controls, having the boiler serviced etc. ...the moneysaving (and longterm) option.;) Lots of advice available from the Energy Saving Trust (linked to in my previous post).

HTH

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • Gizmosmum_2
    Gizmosmum_2 Posts: 448 Forumite
    Options
    I live on the coast and have had cavity wall insulation for 15 years without any problems. I've got really poor calsil bricks and am considering an insulated external render at the minute.

Costs are in the region of 6 - 12k depending on the system used. I'm looking at a polymer render with something like wall transform to allow adhesion to the bricks and for any future movement without cracks appearing. I'll gain some energy savings as a result but tbh I'm doing it as much for cosmetic reasons as for energy saving.
    Target of wind & watertight by Sept 2011 :D
  • donmaico
    Options
    Gizmosmum wrote: »
    I live on the coast and have had cavity wall insulation for 15 years without any problems. I've got really poor calsil bricks and am considering an insulated external render at the minute.

Costs are in the region of 6 - 12k depending on the system used. I'm looking at a polymer render with something like wall transform to allow adhesion to the bricks and for any future movement without cracks appearing. I'll gain some energy savings as a result but tbh I'm doing it as much for cosmetic reasons as for energy saving.

is this the kind of thing you mean?
    http://renderexteriorwallco.rtrk.co.uk/?scid=30427&kw=6447841&pub_cr_id=5418233008

We had textured paint sprayed on our previous house to protect the poor bricks there but it only carried a 12 yr guarrantee and is beginning to peel off now.The salesman reckoned it would also provide some insulation but I dont reckon it did much.
    Maybe this other stuff is different
  • David_Aldred
    Options
    Hi donmaico,
    Any property within 8km of the sea is classed as severe exposure and if the property is particularly exposed compared with surrounding houses then installing full fill cavity wall insulation blindly into cavities of walls that are not particularly good to begin with can result in increased dampness problems which seems worse with the blown fibre and foam types. In such circumstances the preferance is to undertake cavity wall tie work if necessary and remove as much debris from cavities as possible / ensure lintels and cavity trays are in good order before fitting any internal or external insulation systems with appropriate vapour control layers as necessary.

There are advantages and disadvantages to all these systems when you alter the way the property was originally built and what may work well in one situation may prove disasterous in another especially if poor workmanship compromises the specification from the manufacturer. I would start by checking the condition of wall cavities, wall ties, lintels and cavity trays then speak to people local to you with similar properties / exposure who might have had exterior / interior and cavity wall insulation fitted and find out what their view of their systems was before rushing into anything. Kindest regards David Aldred Independent damp and timber surveyor
  • darich
    darich Posts: 2,145 Forumite
    Options

Try reading these articles

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/x-ray/sites/allarticles/updates/090617_cavity_wall_insulation.shtml

http://www.askjeff.co.uk/cavity.html

http://www.premier-heritage.co.uk/2009/08/cavity-wall-insulation-what-are-the-benefits/

I appreciate that these cases may be the minority. But even if they are your sweeping statement is quite clearly wrong.

Keen photographer with sales in the UK and abroad.
    Willing to offer advice on camera equipment and photography if i can!
  • donmaico
    Options
    Hi donmaico,
    Any property within 8km of the sea is classed as severe exposure and if the property is particularly exposed compared with surrounding houses then installing full fill cavity wall insulation blindly into cavities of walls that are not particularly good to begin with can result in increased dampness problems which seems worse with the blown fibre and foam types. In such circumstances the preferance is to undertake cavity wall tie work if necessary and remove as much debris from cavities as possible / ensure lintels and cavity trays are in good order before fitting any internal or external insulation systems with appropriate vapour control layers as necessary.

There are advantages and disadvantages to all these systems when you alter the way the property was originally built and what may work well in one situation may prove disasterous in another especially if poor workmanship compromises the specification from the manufacturer. I would start by checking the condition of wall cavities, wall ties, lintels and cavity trays then speak to people local to you with similar properties / exposure who might have had exterior / interior and cavity wall insulation fitted and find out what their view of their systems was before rushing into anything. Kindest regards David Aldred Independent damp and timber surveyor

i am having a wall tie inspection first , make good that area first and then most likely look to making the brickwork good and maybe render , with this stuff which was recommended by a builder
    http://www.netweber.co.uk/renders-decorative-finishes/weber-products/products/monocouche-renders/weberpral-m.html

As far as insulation goes it seems to me i need to concentrate on insulating between the rafters first before worrying about the walls
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport