WARNING ABOUT o2 BROADBAND

Options
I am unfortunately disappointed with O2 Broadband because I have suffered many months with an inexcusably disappointing product in addition to regrettably poor service from a company whom I once trusted.

First of all, the sole reason for choosing O2 Broadband was because I was promised a good stable connection and unparalleled service. Disappointedly I found neither to be true.

O2's service has not performed as it should for the reason that of the constant disconnections and really slow speed. In addition I have endured endless calls to your technical department who have each applied varying strategies to resolve the issues. My experience has regrettably included: -
  • Totally disconnecting my connection;
  • Aggravating the problem worse – e.g. being asked to reset the router
    resulting in spending 90 minutes and various calls to reconfigure the
    box;
  • Increasing the nose on the line resulting in ridiculously slow speeds
    and resulting in a product which is unusually and not want I pay you
    for;
  • Running a test which should have in actual fact lasted 24 hours;
  • Carrying out the same test on more the one occasion;
  • Replacing the router which has had no profound effect with the
    technical issue;
  • Promises of calls backs and no one returning my call;
  • Being left on hold for 30/45 minutes listening to the same track by
    Elbow;
  • Having the call totally disconnected;
  • Being informed no one was available to resolve the issue;
  • Being passed to the second line team who carry out the same tests as
    the first line team;
  • Being informing I not use the wireless router with a wireless laptop;
  • Trying to configure the router using 192.168.0.1 at least ten times a
    day;
  • Calling your technical department so many times it is now on speed
    dial.

Whilst O2 staff have been really polite all the way through their procedures are dreadful. Just had BT Openreach to the property who basically blamed O2 and merely just walked away after doing nothing.

I really don't know what to do now.

Comments

• Donnie
    Donnie Posts: 9,862 Forumite
    Options
    Is this O2 Access or their cheaper and better LLU service? If Access, not much O2 can do. It's a BT product.
  • brookerbabyisababy
    Options
    LLU service.
  • mk-donald
    mk-donald Posts: 750 Forumite
    edited 29 May 2010 at 6:15PM
    Options
    o2, like all ISPs, are required to have a FORMAL complaints procedure - suggest you take full advantage of it - as they have apparently totally messed you around for months - and as BT Openreach (who 100% control the phoneline between the o2 DSLAM at the exchange and the master socket in your house) have sent an engineer who went away "after doing nothing" you at least have the comfort that o2 will be charged something like £130 for him to have done that nothing - though clearly doing that nothing can not have helped IF the phoneline was in ANY way, even remotely to blame - and o2 would only have authorised that £££ if they believed it needed doing - so they really HAVE got totally confused in the months you've been dealing with them on this - complain !!!

Section 15.1 of their current T&Cs at
    http://www.o2.co.uk/assets2/pdf/Broadband_terms_2010.pdf

Be clear that you wish to make a FORMAL COMPLAINT and make a note of the person & case number, so if in another few months you still feel aggrieved you have full evidence for the Telecommunications Ombudsman (which again will cost them £££, but you nothing).

All that said o2 can only control (a) their DSLAM settings (& network beyond it); (b) your o2 box (exceptionally connected to the master socket to prevent any inhouse quirks affecting the circuit). If the quality of the phoneline between the two is WITHIN technical boundaries set by BT (ie for a phoneline of length x, a minimum of speed y) then o2 can't get BT to do anything to improve that phoneline, and hence even though one might "like" to have had a speed z circuit, if its at least speed y then o2/BT won't act, and nor would any other ISP. It seems though they never reached any informed agreement with you as to what your issue(s) was, nor how it was being addressed and you were left with a confused/scattergun appearance to whatever action(s) they were taking.

Hence why I say make it a formal complaint and get some CLARITY out of them as to the why/what/where is wrong, so you be clear who to trust again (or else walk away knowing if it might be better elsewhere).

MKD
  • KillerWatt
    KillerWatt Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    Options
    • Trying to configure the router using 192.168.0.1 at least ten times a
      day;

You won't have much luck there, the default IP address for o2 provided routers is 192.168.1.254

If you can log in to your router as the SuperUser (instead of standard Administrator) and post your line stats back, that will give us a clue as to what is happening on your line.
    Remember kids, it's the volts that jolt and the mills that kill.
  • mk-donald
    mk-donald Posts: 750 Forumite
    Options
    Further to KillerWatt's suggestion, I'd recommend a fellow ThinkBroadband o2 forum participants website at:
    http://www.o2help.co.uk/router-statistics/

MKD
  • O2_Company_Representative
    O2_Company_Representative Posts: 88 Organisation Representative
    edited 1 June 2010 at 12:15PM
    Options
    Hi brookerbabyisababy,

I'm sorry to hear about the frustrating Broadband problem that you've got.

If you'd like, I can look at your case and see what I can do to steer it in the right direction for you.

If you're happy with this, let me know and we can take this further.

Thanks

Paul
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of O2. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure