Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Page 1
    • welshy_2002
    • By welshy_2002 5th May 10, 12:16 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    • 5th May 10, 12:16 PM
    • 5th May 10, 12:16 PM
    Can you fit a bed into each small room?
  • dudes
    • 5th May 10, 12:21 PM
    • 5th May 10, 12:21 PM
    That is the rule?
    • pimento
    • By pimento 5th May 10, 12:28 PM
    • 4,859 Posts
    • 6,229 Thanks
    • 5th May 10, 12:28 PM
    • 5th May 10, 12:28 PM
    As long as it has a window I suppose it's a room. Otherwise it would be a cupboard.

I viewed a new flat years ago that was being marketed as a two bedroom. The second bedroom had a cot in it and a chest of drawers. They'd taken the door off. I doubt it would have fitted a single bed (not if you wanted to close the door afterwards, anyway).
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 5th May 10, 2:31 PM
    • 20,518 Posts
    • 56,262 Thanks
    • 5th May 10, 2:31 PM
    • 5th May 10, 2:31 PM
    There's no rule really. Getting a bed in it does help! How big are the bedrooms you are talking about?
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Sammy85
    • 5th May 10, 3:39 PM
    • 5th May 10, 3:39 PM
    I have a house where the 3rd bedroom doesnt fit a regular length bed in it, its more a nursery than a bedroom, it was still marketed as 3 bed though.

Proud mummy to a beautiful baby girl born 22/12/11
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 5th May 10, 5:56 PM
    • 6,367 Posts
    • 6,456 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 5th May 10, 5:56 PM
    • 5th May 10, 5:56 PM
    For new build, developers have to show a bed, chest of drawers, and wardrobe or built in cupboard, on the plans to show they are applying for permission for 1-bedroom, 2-bedroom etc dwellings. However there is no minimum requirement under Building Regulations.

I thought habitable rooms had to have windows (kitchen may or may not count as habitable depending on locality) but the 'easy' and 'yotel' style hotels, which don't, suggests there is a way round that.

There are minimum room sizes defined for Houses of Multiple Occupation in Scotland.
    • Brallaqueen
    • By Brallaqueen 5th May 10, 7:19 PM
    • 1,330 Posts
    • 2,474 Thanks
    • 5th May 10, 7:19 PM
    • 5th May 10, 7:19 PM
    I used to think that rule of thumb for a double bedroom was 10 foot square, not sure about singles?
    Emergency savings: 2700
    0% Credit card: 0.00
    • egyptiangirl
    • By egyptiangirl 5th May 10, 7:27 PM
    • 415 Posts
    • 448 Thanks
    • 5th May 10, 7:27 PM
    • 5th May 10, 7:27 PM
    In my uni student house I lived in a 'bedroom/cupboard' - it basically couldn't fit a single bed with the door fully closed. It was classed as a bedroom that I paid rent for. Happy days
    Always on the hunt for a bargain.
  • Emmzi
    my EA told me single bed + a wardrobe you could open the doors of had to fit. think it's more a guideline than the law tho!
    Debt free 4th April 2007.
    New house. Bigger mortgage. MFWB after I have my buffer cash in place.
  • mqandy
    I viewed a new build flat recently.

The 'double' bedroom was unfurnished and barely fitted the 3 of us in the room to view. Ended the viewing there and then.

The sooner we get a decent minimum size law a la France, Germany et al, the better.
    • Running Horse
    • By Running Horse 5th May 10, 8:13 PM
    • 8,311 Posts
    • 13,631 Thanks
    Running Horse
    It is a little better in the USA where a bedroom has to have a closet, door, and window:
    I want to die with a hand on my heart.
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 5th May 10, 9:39 PM
    • 23,852 Posts
    • 27,065 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    There was a previous thread on this and I looked up if there was a minimum legal size at the time. Came to the conclusion that there was no actual law although I believe there has to be a proper wall and window. I have rented rooms in houses that could not fit a single bed plus standard depth wardrobe.

Estate agents do tend to use some element of common sense - a bedroom should fit a single bed or they tend to name the room 'nursery' or 'office'. All the flats in my block have a heavy sliding wooden door on bedroom two, so the flats are usually called 'one/ two bedroom' or 'one bedroom plus crash space' or 'one bedroom plus occasional bedroom'.
    What a difference a day makes, twenty four little hours.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,601Posts Today

7,745Users online

Martin's Twitter