IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Call from "UK Claims" - possible scam
Views: 85,684
# 1
Yorkshire Midge
Old 07-04-2010, 1:00 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Call from "UK Claims" - possible scam

Just took a call from an outfit describing themselves as "UK Claims" reckoning to be able to get you your banking charges back. They refused to give full company details/address when repeatedly challenged
so its probably dodgy (calling line ID came up as 0123) and I put the phone down on them.

This site is the only help anyone needs!

Midge.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
THOMAS123
Old 07-04-2010, 1:01 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire Midge View Post
Just took a call from an outfit describing themselves as "UK Claims" reckoning to be able to get you your banking charges back. They refused to give full company details/address when repeatedly challenged
so its probably dodgy (calling line ID came up as 0123) and I put the phone down on them.

This site is the only help anyone needs!

Midge.
I have just got back from holiday and the first call I had was from this lot.

Just another rubbish CMC
# 3
natweststaffmember
Old 07-04-2010, 1:48 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Ask them for their Ministry of Justice authorisation number next time please cos UK CLAIMS does not help find out much info to be honest.
I have not worked for NatWest Bank since February 2009

This username is no longer active.
# 4
Yorkshire Midge
Old 07-04-2010, 10:26 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thanks - though I doubt it would have gotten me any further in this case. Either a company is legit and happy to provide details or they are not.
# 5
Tightarse
Old 13-04-2010, 9:56 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I got a call from "Claims UK" tonight. Managed to keep him talking for 11 minutes before "You can trust me, I'm called Steve!" put the phone down on me. They had my full name & address and was asking for my date of birth. What info do scammers need before they can use the information?
# 6
~Brock~
Old 13-04-2010, 11:03 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightarse View Post
I got a call from "Claims UK" tonight. Managed to keep him talking for 11 minutes before "You can trust me, I'm called Steve!" put the phone down on me. They had my full name & address and was asking for my date of birth. What info do scammers need before they can use the information?
Depends where they got your details from.

Unfortunately many of these scam companies happily (and quilte illegally) acquire data from all sort of dodgy sources including other claims companies that have gone out of business and failed finance and mortgage brokers who are taken in by the promise of quick easy commission.

Just NEVER give out any card or bank account details - just tell them to sling their hook and to remove your number from their database. Even better - register with TPS and then report them the next time they phone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~Brock~ For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Tightarse
Old 13-04-2010, 11:27 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Many Thanks Brock...

I used to use TPS, but what is the point if they don't show caller ID & are international. Can they actually do anything?
The Following User Says Thank You to Tightarse For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
DelDredd
Old 09-09-2010, 7:47 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Got call from them today 0123, said his name was Simon Dawson, really with that accent, was adamant i was owed money from banking charges 500 to 600.
How many bankcharges would be overpaid by that much and never have had any in any case, he was still adamant, when he aske for card detail i hung up.
He called back a few hours later, i told him i thought it was a scam and what was his company address, said he could not tell me until i paid the 70.99 for the legal paperwork to be sent.
Told him that made his scam sound even worse and hung up.

I had contacted Police after first call, they called back and said definately sounded a scam.
The Following User Says Thank You to DelDredd For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
spursflyer
Old 11-09-2010, 11:48 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default UK Money Savers Ltd - Swansea

Be very cautious if you receive a phone call from this company who are based in Swansea . I have it on good authority that they phone up and tell you that you have a refund due of 3k on PPI . They quote the name of a Claims Company whom they claim will be processing the claim , quote the company's MoJ licence number and phone number and then charge you 235 .

The problem is that they have no relationship with the Claims Company and the company will no nothing about your potential claim and will obviously not be in pursuing the lenders for you . The first the Claims company will know of you is when you phone up to see how your claims progressing .

The police , the trading standards and the MoJ are all aware of this company !

If anybody who claims to be : James Henley , James Brown or Adam Jones calls you then please contact the police and trading standards down in swansea . Company also trades as UK Money Saving Ltd .

Last edited by spursflyer; 11-09-2010 at 11:58 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to spursflyer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
kez321g
Old 13-09-2010, 2:51 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

i was dontacted just a few minuts ago by " patricia" from uk claims, i highly doubt that this is her name as her accent was so strong i could bearly understand her.
she gave me the same speach as all the other posts ..... you are entitled to claim at least 600..... ect. she provided an emploee id number 1901 and insisted i was gonna get some money for just filling in the paperwork and all they wanted was a "small admin payment" ... 79.00. she said she would not ask for my bank details but would read the details she had for me to comfirm.... she read out a number and i told her it was not my bank details as it happens i dont have a credit or debit card that she wanted me then to provide then she starts preassuring me to get someone else to let me use thier card i was bored by this point and told her to get lost as i didn't belive a word she had said and told her she should be ashamed of her behaviour .... end of call
i hope who ever is behind this scam gets what is coming to them very soon
the old saying if it sounds to good to be true then it probably is should be remembered.
The Following User Says Thank You to kez321g For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
poopoo
Old 14-09-2010, 1:39 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default uk claims scams???

I was contacted by somebody from UK Claims saying we were entitle to some compensation money for an accident we had last year. He had a heavy indian accent with the name of Hassan Ali. He asked me lots of questions and said the claims officer will call me in 3 days time to comfirm everything and after that SOMEBODY WILL COME TO OUR HOUSE TO GET ALL THE PAPERS SIGNED. I felt this was kind of dodgy and i started to question him, asking him his name, company's address, phone number, company's website which he gave me.
Company name: uk claim, address: 170 Garrats lane, Dans street, Wandsworth, SL18 4DP(doesn't exist too). Phone 02071 938974. I called back the number few minutes later to verify, the receptionist sounded very dodgy - could not even speak properly. I asked for the manager who presented himself as Andy Cooper. He pretended to be American but he had an indian accent. Has anyone encountered a similar recently? thanks
# 12
Premier
Old 15-09-2010, 10:50 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Hi poopoo, and welcome to MSE

Refer to the earlier responses within this thread.

The address provided to you is incorrect. The postcode does not exist as you say. There is a Garratt (note no 's') Lane in Wandsworth, but that is in SW18 4DP and the Wandsworth Volunteer Bureau /Wandsworth Voluntary Sector Development Agency is located at number 170 (which you can safeley assume is not connected at all with the person or organisation that called you), and their postcode is SW18 4DA (slightly different - Garratt Lane is quite a long road.)
"Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010

Last edited by Premier; 15-09-2010 at 10:54 AM.
# 13
gaelgal
Old 18-09-2010, 3:48 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default UK Claims - still claiming for you!

Had two calls from this bunch in 24 hrs. First one was a woman who kept asking for my date of birth. I refused and when I asked her to write to me as I would not divulge private details over the phone, she disconnected.
Just had call no 2- this time a bloke, said my bank was going to return all charges taken in last 6 years. Wanted my DOB again. I asked which bank? - he said don't you know your bank?
I replied - yes but you don't so F *** off.
It's no good being on TPS with this lot as they phone from outside the UK.
# 14
I love Hotpot
Old 29-09-2010, 8:08 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Cool Uk claims "scam"

I just had a call from these people. Not just one either, but 4, the last two I did not answer. Somehow they had my 16 digit card details, at least 4 of the security numbers on the reverse and my adress with post code. They would not say where they got these details and were wanting me to confirm all this. With this confirmation they would send me "legal documentation" allowing me to claim 00's of pounds of bank charges back from my bank.
To give me "confidence in their call, the caller, with a very strong asian accent gave me his name - Peter Parker; hmm, I think I have heard that name before - does this relate to the "web" of intrigue they tried to make!!
# 15
Premier
Old 30-09-2010, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love Hotpot View Post
I just had a call from these people. Not just one either, but 4, the last two I did not answer. Somehow they had my 16 digit card details, at least 4 of the security numbers on the reverse and my adress with post code. They would not say where they got these details and were wanting me to confirm all this. With this confirmation they would send me "legal documentation" allowing me to claim 00's of pounds of bank charges back from my bank.
To give me "confidence in their call, the caller, with a very strong asian accent gave me his name - Peter Parker; hmm, I think I have heard that name before - does this relate to the "web" of intrigue they tried to make!!
If that is true, don't waste time signing up with a new user account on MSE, get directly on the blower to your card company and explain the apparent breach of security that has occurred.

Btw, it should only be a 3 digit security number on the reverse
Perhaps it was your PIN?
"Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010

Last edited by Premier; 30-09-2010 at 1:31 AM.
# 16
crabbity witch
Old 01-10-2010, 8:53 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Errr - it's a company cold calling, offering financial services (and in connection with a CMC, I use that in the loosest possible sense of the word) it's FOR SURE a scam. No probably about it.
# 17
I love Hotpot
Old 02-10-2010, 5:14 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Uk Claims scam

Thanks to you both - I did phone the building socity and my new card has now arrived. They passed it on to their fraud team. the thing about the reverse of the card - there are 7 digits, a group of 4 then 3, somehow they knew the group of 4.
Anyway, hopefully, all sorted but I will keep an eye on the account.
# 18
Premier
Old 02-10-2010, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love Hotpot View Post
... the thing about the reverse of the card - there are 7 digits, a group of 4 then 3, somehow they knew the group of 4. ...
Compare those 4 digits to the last 4 of your card number on the front of the card
(a number you said they knew)
# 19
Karl Fuerstenberg
Old 06-10-2010, 8:58 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Claims Online SW18 4DP

This company called themselves 'Claims Online', same address and postcode, offering to recover compensation for injury following a recent bump to my car which was rectified to my complete satisfaction. Basically they suggested that 'back and neck injuries typically suffered in similar accidents could be worth 3000 in compensation'. They claimed to have received details of the accident from 'RTA Management, a government organisation'. As I suffered no injury, I found their approach unethical in seeking to tempt me to claim injury where none existed. I wonder where it would have led if I had agreed that I had indeed suffered injury.....
# 20
rebecca_riots
Old 10-10-2010, 2:32 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default UK Claims scams

Thought thread might be interested in this. My family is having a spot of bother with BT (YOU know those people who supposedly offer an ethical telephone service)

Two days ago a student who is a student of mine suddenly started moaning about being phoned by people somewhere in an Indian call centre. They knew his bank account number, his address, his phone number etc etc how much was in his bank account.

They said they were UK Claims (the person speaking claimed his name was David Austin or Dave Austin) -

I said to the student... you havent by any chance opened a broadband account with BT recently.

Sudden silence

"Yes" he said

The opening of the BT broadband account was about ten days before he got the series of calls from UK Claims.

He has found out that BT SELL on their customers details (he was told this by a BT online person) but they claimed not to know who UK Claims were.

I am about to post this same message on the BT customer forum discussion list as well.

Rebecca
PS the student's bank fraud people have changed his card and are doing some investigation into this.