Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Benefits & Tax Credits > Job Seekers Allowence Eligibility?? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Job Seekers Allowence Eligibility??
Closed Thread
Views: 96,378
# 1
emilyjh
Old 24-01-2005, 6:11 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thumbs down Job Seekers Allowence Eligibility??

After graduating uni last July I kept on my part-time job (12 hours a week, minimum wage), hoping to find something full time before long. However, 3 months later I was still working 12 hours a week. The job was in my univeristy town, where I lived whilst studying. But after graduating I moved back home, and it took an 1hr 1/2 bus and train journey to get to work and back. My work was often spread out over the week (3 or 4 hours a day), so I paid a lot in travel expenses and lunches, compared to the actual hours I put in. In October I decided to start a part-time course (2 days a week), which would run for 6 weeks. However, my employer refused to let me have these 2 days off for the 6 week duration of the course (my hours were not fixed, but given to me on a week-to-week basis).

It was then I decided to hand in my notice at work. I genuinely thought the course would help me find a job, and that I could use the rest of the week to look for one properly. I applied for Jobseekers Allowence, and was told I may not be approved as I had given up work voluntarily. I completed a form, explaining in great detail why I gave up my job, and eventually I was approved. However, after 3 weeks I was sent a letter saying there would be a change in my JSA - I would no longer be paid as I gave up my previous employment voluntarily, without "sufficient enough reason".

After recieving this letter I chose not to appeal the decision - I thought it would be too much hassle, and expected to be employed soon as I was attending quite a few interviews. I extended my interest-free graduate, which I lived off very carefully whilst (still) jobhunting. Now it is mid-January and I am still unemployed. I just cannot strike lucky. I am not even being picky over what I apply for. I rarely get replies from retail jobs, and any kind of office work I find requires "experience" I don't have.

Right now I am almost out of money and stuck as to what to do. My mum keeps telling me to re-apply for Jobseekers Allowence, as its been 12 weeks since they 'changed' their decision. However, I don't believe I will be approved again, as the fact remains - I still gave up my last job. I don't particularly want to be claiming off the state, but I have next to nothing left, and no income whatsover. I want more than anything to work, but it seems a degree and willingness just isn't enough these days.

Has anyone been in a similar situation, or know anything more about JSA? Do you think I could apply again successfully? Surely I must be entitled to something.
# 2
Peter-Pan
Old 24-01-2005, 6:36 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Jsa

What you should do immediatly is,go to your local Citizens advice Bureau they will give you the right advice,or Welfare rights office,it`s true you will not get jsa if you pack your job in,for a few months,I think.

You may qualify for income support.

Last edited by terryd123; 24-01-2005 at 6:39 PM.
# 3
Fran
Old 24-01-2005, 6:42 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Yes, immediately apply for JSA again, as the sanctions only last a limited amount of time. You need an income and that is why JSA exists, to ensure you have very basic living expenses while looking for work. Good luck, visit CAB as previous poster said and apply straight away.
Torgwen.......... ...........

I'm a volunteer Board Guide on Techie, Benefits & Employment, Utilities, Small biz and Redundancy boards to help them run smoothly & I can move posts & threads but don't read them all. Dealing with illegal or inappropriate posts is not part of my role. Please report them to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are mine not official MoneySavingExpert ones.
# 4
deemy2004
Old 25-01-2005, 3:27 AM
PPR
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Is not JSA eligbility subject to the amount of NI contributions, though there is income support (or whatever its called these days), which is means tested.
# 5
Fran
Old 25-01-2005, 7:57 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemy2004
Is not JSA eligbility subject to the amount of NI contributions, though there is income support (or whatever its called these days), which is means tested.
When you first apply for JSA you are considered for contribution based benefit and that is Contribution based. If you are not entitled to that or anyway after six months, you would go on to Income based Jobseekers Allowance
Torgwen.......... ...........

I'm a volunteer Board Guide on Techie, Benefits & Employment, Utilities, Small biz and Redundancy boards to help them run smoothly & I can move posts & threads but don't read them all. Dealing with illegal or inappropriate posts is not part of my role. Please report them to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are mine not official MoneySavingExpert ones.
# 6
dmurray0
Old 25-01-2005, 10:19 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Apply for JSA again.The decision maker when looking at your case can impose sanctions but at their discretion. 26 weeks is the maximum. Explain the circumstances in great detail, explain your willingness to find employment and explain the reason you took the course is to enhance your prospects for employment. If the sanction is "bearable" or nil accept it, if not appeal it and enquire about hardship payments.

Hope this has helped.

Ps Even if you don't get payment of JSA your National Insurance "stamp" will be covered by the department, so it's still worth it.

Last edited by dmurray0; 25-01-2005 at 10:23 AM.
# 7
sunrise
Old 30-08-2005, 10:53 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hello all, A friend of mine is about to leave the army. They have served their full time and have no option to stay on, so will leave with a small pension but will still need to work. Are they entitled for JSA?
# 8
AGB863
Old 31-08-2005, 3:37 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi,

Your friends entiltlement will depend on a number of things, does he he have a partner and how much will the small pension be? If there are children that adds to the claim through the Tax Credit System.

Allan
# 9
amyparr
Old 25-02-2007, 11:36 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi,

I gave up my job in December to go travelling, however I have been called back to the UK for the foreseeable future as my partner's father has been diagnosed with a serious illness and has been hospitalised. I now no longer have a job, although am looking and hope to find employment soon. Should I sign up for JSA?
# 10
peter999
Old 26-02-2007, 1:12 AM

Following JSA Regs may help, if you read & find relevant section/circumstances:

Statutory Instrument 1996 No. 207
The Jobseeker's Allowance Regulations 1996
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1996/Uksi_19960207_en_1.htm

peter999

Last edited by peter999; 26-02-2007 at 1:15 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to peter999 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
cifpower
Old 26-02-2007, 6:26 AM

If you get declined for JSA again - appeal. If you get JSA but are sanctioned you can apply for a JSA hardship payment which is JSA less 40% until the sanction period ends.

# 12
ukdickie31
Old 26-02-2007, 2:04 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

The maximum sanction is 26 weeks from the date the Job ended, not from the date of your claim.

You really do need to sign on , even for a 'nil benefit' period to keep your NI stamps paid. If you do decide to sign on, you must still satisfy the availibility and actively seeking rules even if you don't actually receive benefit.

Just as an aside, I guess you are under 25 as you were a student. Surely any p/t work would be better than the £45.50 JSA. Just 10 hours work would give you more money, a reference and up to date skills in the labour market.

It's easier to get work when you are in work.

Good Luck !
# 13
Amberlina
Old 12-07-2007, 1:06 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Unhappy One Working Partner

Hi there,

My partner has recently been turned down for JSA because:

a) we live together

b) I earn a reasonable wage

Even though we do live together, we are not married and don't intend to be in the near future and we have no financial dependance on each other. Is this right? Is there anything we can do?
# 14
healy
Old 12-07-2007, 1:33 PM

Yes it is right and there is nothing you can do. You are classed as a couple so your income is combined so he would not receive Income based JSA, I assume he is not entitled to contribution based JSA, he could get that for up to 6 months.
# 15
tishyscash
Old 12-07-2007, 5:15 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Re JSA entitlement

If your partner is actively seeking work and is not in full time education, he may be entitled to Jobseekers Allowance - Contribution based. As you state, you live together and you are earning (I assume working full time?) so he would not qualify for income based Jobseekers Allowance.

JSA Contribution based is payable for 26 weeks and basically comes down to National Insurance Contributions.
# 16
healy
Old 12-07-2007, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tishyscash View Post
If your partner is actively seeking work and is not in full time education, he may be entitled to Jobseekers Allowance - Contribution based. As you state, you live together and you are earning (I assume working full time?) so he would not qualify for income based Jobseekers Allowance.

JSA Contribution based is payable for 26 weeks and basically comes down to National Insurance Contributions.
Isnt that what I just said in the post above yours?
# 17
tishyscash
Old 13-07-2007, 8:27 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I was trying to ascertain her partner's circumstances - if he was in full time education etc, otherwise I am not sure why he would not be eligible to make a claim for JSA Conts only?

Of course it would depend on his contributions if he qualified or not - as stated.

Sincere apologies if you assumed I was in any way trying to contradict you.
# 18
Amberlina
Old 13-07-2007, 10:59 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks for your help guys,

He's actively seeking work but he's not eligible for contribution based JSA because he has a Jersey NI number, he's also not eligible for social security from the states of Jersey because he's lives in the UK. It's one of those impossible situations I guess! here's hoping he gets a job soon...
# 19
lfcdream
Old 22-03-2008, 11:18 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I've just been told that I can no longer get jobseekers allowance as my national insurance contributions have run out. I cant call them cos there closed, does anyone know if this means I have to sign off? There is no mension of the Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance. Do you know if i can go on to this?

:confused:
# 20
squidgeone
Old 05-06-2009, 3:43 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Jsa

Hi,

Just looking for some advice, having to give up my part time job as the person why minds my children can no longer mind them! I have never claimed JSA but understand I can only give them a call once my last day of employment has finished. I am worried that my wifes earnings (about 25000) will be too much for me to claim JSA. We have two children, has anybody any advice on where to go from here.

Regards

Cy
Closed Thread