Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Energy > energyplus Argos by Scottish Hydro (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
energyplus Argos by Scottish Hydro
Views: 53,942
# 1
Smiley_Mum
Old 16-01-2005, 2:34 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default energyplus Argos by Scottish Hydro

Received in the mail this morning a mailshot from Scottish Hydro Board informing me that they will no longer be issuing Premier Points for the electricity that I use. They have now introduced energyplus Argos which gives you 10 Argos points for every 1 you spend on electricity. 500 points gets you 10% discount at Argos or Homebase or 1 off your purchase if you take cash, woopee!! So, you spend for 50 on the new system you get 10% discount or 1 compared to 18 on the old system.

As for the energyplus Argos website, check it out:-

www.energyplusArgos.co.uk

It doesn't work, type it into the address bar, doesnt work. Type it into search engine, doesn't work. Oh well...

Anyone else had any joy with it?
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Smiley_Mum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
jonbooth
Old 10-12-2007, 10:22 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I have received a similar letter today,10th December 2007,almost THREE YEARS later! The website address STILL does not work,and googling has ended me up on the MSE site.In fact,I never managed to sign into the Argos section of the Southern Electric site,and their e-mail advice was to phone a premium rate number for information about how to log in,when the fault was of their making.Are there any Southern Electric employees about who can advise on this shambles without us paying for phone calls for the required information?
# 3
jhp
Old 11-12-2007, 6:42 PM

Site is working fine.
# 4
GinnyvonPinny
Old 20-12-2007, 7:21 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Angry Argos Electricity Points

Well I have had exactly the same problems logging in to that site. I was prompted to do this after receiving my new points card recently.....it's so awkward to use I'd forgotten i even had such a card! Ooh extra help with Christmas I thought.... I tried to register/log in with my new card as instructed and had no joy...rang the telephone alternative ...no joy; it says there is no such card.....anyone actually managed to do what it says it should??
# 5
Zebedee412
Old 26-12-2007, 8:56 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I was able to use the link - found out I had earned a whopping 1 to spend!!:rolleyes:
# 6
GinnyvonPinny
Old 29-12-2007, 5:59 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Cool Hallelujah!!!

Finally! After many many attempts I got the site to accept my card details...and having not redeemed any points for at least 2 years, I have 8.40 to redeem. I suspect that I spent this on the 0870 phone number on my futile attempts to sort this out! Thanks Argos. Thanks Southern Electric. I'm with nPower now anyway............
# 7
badmumof1
Old 05-01-2008, 5:19 PM

ive just found out that all my points i have accumilated over the years i have been with southern electric have expired !!!
thanks for telling you southern electric
# 8
skyline2
Old 29-01-2008, 1:45 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

this is the hardest scheme that any company has set up to redeem
and all the time they make money when u call them
my advice for wot its worth just get the cheapest deal and steer clear of gimmicks like this i supposed to have money on the card but argos staff have no idea wot its all about:confused:
# 9
erb
Old 29-01-2008, 8:46 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley_Mum View Post
Received in the mail this morning a mailshot from Scottish Hydro Board informing me that they will no longer be issuing Premier Points for the electricity that I use. They have now introduced energyplus Argos which gives you 10 Argos points for every 1 you spend on electricity. 500 points gets you 10% discount at Argos or Homebase or 1 off your purchase if you take cash, woopee!! So, you spend for 50 on the new system you get 10% discount or 1 compared to 18 on the old system.

As for the energyplus Argos website, check it out:-

www.energyplusArgos.co.uk

It doesn't work, type it into the address bar, doesnt work. Type it into search engine, doesn't work. Oh well...

Anyone else had any joy with it?
The correct link is https://www.abshive.co.uk/w-indigo/index.asp?item=sse
Points expire after 12 months as per the terms and conditions.
Regards
erb
# 10
andyox
Old 30-01-2008, 9:58 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Unhappy

Very poor IMO. HAving not attempted to access my points for a year I got no joy from the website. Rang them and was told all the cards etc have been re-issued. Just received the new card - userID does not work with postcode to retrieve any password. Still not working, and from the comments above - probably not worth the effort of bothering with.

Time to phone Southern Electric though - just to say how thoroughly unimpressed I am.
# 11
hyposmurf
Old 15-06-2008, 1:33 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Card didnt work so ordered new one.New one came through post with new number on,but still doenst work.What a load of crap,even trying th password reminder it doenst recognise my number.Pathetic!
# 12
nicola1972
Old 17-05-2009, 11:49 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

We spend alot of money on our gas and electric every month and have just checked points on card and was disapointed with only 1 left on it.
I've spent the money on my card in little bits and I've just rung up to see when the next points are tobe added - they are added every 3 months on my account.
Were spending around 200 a month on Swalec for gas and elec and in 14 months have recieved the amazing total of 57.18. Big deal!!!!
# 13
gooseinatree
Old 19-06-2009, 6:59 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Angry Energy plus argos---I cant find my user id

I have been with southern electric for 4 years.
Always had the card never used it.
The website is now finally up and running. It seems.
But still... i cant get user id!
Called southern electric. got two 9 digit customer numbers.
Tried to login on enegery argos website. Said the both numbers were wrong!!
Tried to call customer service. Queing for half an hour. Still no real person to speak to!!!
Annoyed now.......esp when im doing all this just to try get 10% off a little 20 quid toaster
# 14
Vestra
Old 19-06-2009, 7:19 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooseinatree View Post
I have been with southern electric for 4 years.
Always had the card never used it.
The website is now finally up and running. It seems.
But still... i cant get user id!
Called southern electric. got two 9 digit customer numbers.
Tried to login on enegery argos website. Said the both numbers were wrong!!
Tried to call customer service. Queing for half an hour. Still no real person to speak to!!!
Annoyed now.......esp when im doing all this just to try get 10% off a little 20 quid toaster
The 9 digit numbers are just your gas and electric customer account numbers, you need your membership number which the normal customer services probably won't know how to get! Try calling their sales line on 0800 117 116, I bet you won't queue too long with it being a sales number!
# 15
Iliketoknow
Old 06-10-2009, 9:42 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

After reading all this, I was pleasantly surprised when I went to get stuff from Homebase and got 15 off using my energyplus Argos card at the till. I did check my balance at their customer service desk first though. Like many others, I found the website wasn't going to help me. It wouldn't disclose my points balance and it would take 48hrs+ for credit to transfer.

Last edited by Iliketoknow; 06-10-2009 at 9:45 PM. Reason: Failure to fully respond to the concerns of others
# 16
rabsteele
Old 05-12-2009, 9:24 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I had a lot of trouble in the early stages with this site. It now seems to be working fine. To know what's in your card you really need to phone them or call into an Argos store to have your card read. It does always take a full 48 hours (weekdays only not including bank holidays)for your money to become available from when you put it in on the wesite. I recently got a full 10% discount on a laptop so I saved 40 using the card.

To access current card balances call 0845 6400881, with your card number to hand, and select option 2 straight away and you wil be asked for the card number. When you key in the card number the recorded voice gives your current balance and when it will next be updated.
# 17
Thyrsis
Old 25-05-2010, 3:20 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

If I use my loyalty card in Boots the points go straight on my card. Same for Waitrose, Tesco, Nectar, etc, etc.

Why then does it take '3 to 6 months' for points to go on the Energyplus Argos card?

I had combined energy bills of over 800 in February and am apparently owed 8,700 points which I will not get until perhaps August.

This is one of the worst managed 'loyalty cards' I have come across! You can't even access your balance or expenditure online.
# 18
Tight.Fisted
Old 06-10-2010, 6:36 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

It's practically useless and not really worth a person's time and effort IMO.

I have found out that I have a massive 8.70 of value on my card after checking with the phone number and that is late in the year when I would of expected all my payments for gas/electric to amount to far more than that. So unless the earned points have expired at an unusual time of year, fairly recently then the amount that the 10 points per 1 spent on gas/electric must be practically worthless......they don't actually say what 10 points is equal to so it cannot be much. It must be less than the nectar conversion rate for Argos which is 500 points equals 2.50.
[Just re-read the first post and seen that it's 500 points for 1 at Argos]

The website for energyplusargos, not the one it is meant to be, has what it claims to be discounts on Argos goods, claiming a 5% discount. But the prices are identical to the Argos prices! So absolutely no discount at all!

A real joke of a scheme and I will check whether there is any other energy supplier that I would be better off switching to and if so I will tell Southern Electric the reason why I switched!

I have utter contempt for companies that run these false schemes.

[EDIT] I have since noted that some of the items are discounted by 5% on the site, it was just the item that I was interested in that wasn't, even though it should be simply because it is listed. Typical!

Last edited by Tight.Fisted; 07-10-2010 at 1:19 AM. Reason: Noticed that thread starter stated the conversion rate
# 19
jeffkey1
Old 23-06-2011, 1:33 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Expiry Date

Just found by Energyplus Card. Given the comments above I thought I would check the terms and conditions and see how much I'd earned.

Not having much of the original paper work I phoned the help number 0845 640 0881. They gave my the expiry date of the points and the balance.

Just to be clear....

"Any Points on the cards will expire on the 2nd Anniversary of joining the scheme".

P.S Nearly 50 after 18 Months so it was worth checking. Which I must spend by November.
# 20
Plushchris
Old 23-06-2011, 2:00 PM

I dont understand why people get taken in by all this guff, why not sign up to the cheapest tariff available to you and spend the money you have saved in Argos (or wherever you like) instead?

You would probably have a lot more money than you could ever earn in argos points..
Missing Tesco R&R since Feb '07 & now a "Tesco veteran" apparently!