Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • Badger_Lady
    • 7th Jan 10, 12:11 PM
    • 7th Jan 10, 12:11 PM
    Presumably the current owner has got insurance..? Can you ask them who they're insured with? And I also assume you're paying less for the unofficial bedroom
    Mortgage | £132,000
    Unsecured Debt | £7,000 £0
    Lodgers | |

• poppysarah
    • 7th Jan 10, 12:54 PM
    • 7th Jan 10, 12:54 PM
    Is it actually safe to use as a bedroom. Regardless of building regs, is it easy to get out of when your house is on fire?

Whether you care about the rules or not, you'd probably care about being trapped up there.
  • Welsh Totster
    • 7th Jan 10, 1:16 PM
    • 7th Jan 10, 1:16 PM
    We have two attic rooms which the previous owners did about 15+ years ago, it doesnt comply with building regs and never has and we use one room as a study and one for storage. each room has a velux window that in todays standard ares big enough for a fireman to get through hence why the rooms can't be marketed as Habitable. When it was on the market, they were marketed as 'storage'. We have never had a problem insuring the house over the past 8+ years, you shouldn't have a problem. good luck
  • carlycav
    • 7th Jan 10, 1:44 PM
    • 7th Jan 10, 1:44 PM
    Thanks for the info.

The room is easy to get out of via the stairs onto the landing. Also the velux window is big enough to climb out of.

Not sure what is classed as a safe bedroom?, the current owners have a double bed in there and are storing lots of stuff in there. They say the building regs would mean the velux window would have to be moved elswhere to comply (eg further down almost on the actual front of the property, top of the front wall where all the other windows are) but i suppose we cant really trust what they are saying as they just want to sell the house.

The house is marketed as a two bedroom with loft conversion so the price coincides with a two bedroomed property.

Would i have to tell the buildings insurance about the loft conversion or is it a standard question they will ask.

All i am bothered about is further down the line if we do need to claim for anything and they say well you have a loft conversion not to regs, so its all void.
  • Welsh Totster
    • 7th Jan 10, 2:16 PM
    • 7th Jan 10, 2:16 PM
    We have never been asked, as it wasn't sold to us as a 6 bed property it was sold as a 4 bed with 2 attic storage rooms (and thats how we have sold it) To be honest I wouldnt worry, we have only ever been asked how many bedrooms it was and we have always said 4, and I suspect you'll say 2.

The house we are about to move to has the master bed and ensuite in the converted loft and it does comply with all building regs needed, we still havent been asked by the insurance company if it complies with regs even though I said its a 4 bed house with master in attic conversion.
  • carlycav
    • 7th Jan 10, 2:30 PM
    • 7th Jan 10, 2:30 PM
    Great that makes me feel a lot better, like you said if we sell its still a two bed house at the end of the day.

Thanks for all your help on this subject.
  • Welsh Totster
    • 7th Jan 10, 2:36 PM
    • 7th Jan 10, 2:36 PM
    Tis ok, glad to be of service!
    • lilian1977
    • By lilian1977 7th Jan 10, 3:02 PM
    • 4,617 Posts
    • 18,028 Thanks
    lilian1977
    • 7th Jan 10, 3:02 PM
    • 7th Jan 10, 3:02 PM
    We have just bought a 2 bed with loft conversion, the survey said the staircase wasn't to regs - we just said it was 2 bed for insurance purposes. I will be getting the window changed before using it as a bedroom.

1 debt 100 days - £109.73/ £436.30
    8/20 NSDs in July
  • Hippychick
    We have a property with a loft conversio too, I insured with the same company as my mortgage lender and mentioned the loft conversion at the point of quotation. They were fine with it.

CC debt at 8/7/13 - £12,186.17
    Barclaycard £11,027.58
    Halifax £1,158.59
    5 year plan to live unsecured debt free and move home
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 7th Jan 10, 3:43 PM
    • 23,851 Posts
    • 27,065 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    Thanks for the info.

The room is easy to get out of via the stairs onto the landing. Also the velux window is big enough to climb out of.

Not sure what is classed as a safe bedroom?, the current owners have a double bed in there and are storing lots of stuff in there. They say the building regs would mean the velux window would have to be moved elswhere to comply (eg further down almost on the actual front of the property, top of the front wall where all the other windows are) but i suppose we cant really trust what they are saying as they just want to sell the house.

The house is marketed as a two bedroom with loft conversion so the price coincides with a two bedroomed property.

Would i have to tell the buildings insurance about the loft conversion or is it a standard question they will ask.

All i am bothered about is further down the line if we do need to claim for anything and they say well you have a loft conversion not to regs, so its all void.
    Originally posted by carlycav
    There is a lot more to building regs than simply the presence of a Velux! Do you have a fire door at the top or bottom of the stairs onto the landing? Are the Velux windows in the correct position (not simply size) for access by the fire services 'cherry picker'? Have the ceiling joists been properly reinforced to allow furniture to be safely placed in the room? Were the roof trusses properly reinforced to ensure the roof doesn't start sagging at a later date?
    What a difference a day makes, twenty four little hours.
  • poppysarah
    windows aren't so important these days as the route in from the ground. Fire doors and fire closers I think on all other doors in the place (something a lot of builders might tell you to just take off after building regs is done, but are there for a reason and not just to annoy) And extra smoke detector thing too so you know quickly if there's a problem elsewhere.
    • chappers
    • By chappers 7th Jan 10, 4:04 PM
    • 2,425 Posts
    • 1,350 Thanks
    chappers
    also getting insurance and claiming on it are two different things, I'm sure if you told your insurance company you had a loft conversion without building regs they may take a different view. Non disclosure is the biggest single reason for insurers not paying up.
    • daska
    • By daska 7th Jan 10, 4:08 PM
    • 6,013 Posts
    • 11,915 Thanks
    daska
    when we were looking at a house that had been converted incorrectly the solicitor advised that we could get insurance against there being a problem with the work not complying with building regs etc.
  • missb123
    Hi all, we have bought a house, 3 bed with loft conversion, our solicitor wanted the building warrant before we could complete.
    At present the seller is having to do remedial works to the conversion for it to pass regs, we were told not to complete on the house till it gets signed off by the council.
    Its taking ages!!! god knows when we will get to move in!!
  • carlycav
    A few different views there, i think we will be asking the vendors more questions before we complete. Initially the room will be used mostly for storage with a bed in the room. We are prepared to get it up to regs if we need to in the future.

Thanks for all the info.
  • iamana1ias
    A poorly done conversion can cost you tens of thousands further down the line
    I was born too late, into a world that doesn't care
    Oh I wish I was a punk rocker with flowers in my hair
  • sparkykink
    Generally, I understand the seller of the house takes out an indemnity policy in this situation if building regs haven't been followed.
    I have just bought a property with a window that wasn't fitted by a FENSA registered company, and an indemnity policy had to be taken out (otherwise no mortgage offer).
    Beware insurance companies that will sell policies but not pay up when things go belly up.
  • timmyt
    Generally, I understand the seller of the house takes out an indemnity policy in this situation if building regs haven't been followed.
    I have just bought a property with a window that wasn't fitted by a FENSA registered company, and an indemnity policy had to be taken out (otherwise no mortgage offer).
    Beware insurance companies that will sell policies but not pay up when things go belly up.
    Originally posted by sparkykink

yes, none of these policies to my knowledge hav been claimed on.

FENSA insurance is a nonsense. If over 1 year building control cannot take action, and I personally do not suggest a delay for insurance for windows!
    • Richard Webster
    • By Richard Webster 10th Mar 10, 9:28 AM
    • 7,274 Posts
    • 6,926 Thanks
    Richard Webster
    You do have to be concerned about safety and you do have think about the questions that will be asked when you come to sell, but you also have to get it all in context.

What do people say about 100 year old houses that have probably always had an attic bedroom with steep windy stairs accessing it that would not comply with modern regulations if built now? Nobody seems to bat an eyelid at that sort of thing - yet there is some logic in lenders saying they are concerned about safety and therefore they will not value any such property as a 3 bed if one of the bedrooms is in the attic. They don't, of course, but it does seem unfair that someone who has done a modern loft conversion that 90% complies with the regulations, and is probably safer than a Victorian loft bedroom, should be penalised.
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,736Posts Today

5,257Users online

Martin's Twitter