Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 6th Jan 10, 3:43 PM
    • 82,331 Posts
    • 47,428 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 6th Jan 10, 3:43 PM
    • 6th Jan 10, 3:43 PM
    For peace of mind, has anyone taken out a policy with then and is it safe to do so?
    Legal & general are a well regarded insurance company. They have some faults, as do all companies, but for life assurance they are fine.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Jit7
    • 6th Jan 10, 3:48 PM
    • 6th Jan 10, 3:48 PM
    What about Help U Cover - are they safe to use?
  • OshayAway
    • 6th Jan 10, 3:52 PM
    • 6th Jan 10, 3:52 PM
    Originally posted by Jit7
    There are plenty of cheaper ones out there.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 6th Jan 10, 4:18 PM
    • 82,331 Posts
    • 47,428 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 6th Jan 10, 4:18 PM
    • 6th Jan 10, 4:18 PM
    Originally posted by Jit7
    No different to any other IFA or protection only authorised firm out there.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
  • uk_steve
    • 8th Jan 10, 2:04 PM
    • 8th Jan 10, 2:04 PM
    actually have just finally taken out a policy via them today with Liverpool Victoria

i have to say that Help U Cover was very good on telephone calls and letters

for me i have disability i had to have 2 telephone medical checks
    in all its taken about 6 weeks to get the policy in place with LV

I'm assuming this is just 1 of them things i have to go through where ever i go

@ Dunstonh (only guide purposes here)

i have no children but been with my partner for a few years now and my partner is named in my Will

say for example 6mths down the line i die in a traincrash :-(

automaticly does my fixed lump sum amount on the ploicy go to my partner because she is in my will?

or do i need to set up anything to make sure it does because thats why i wanted to do this in the 1st place for her benefit (if the worse ever come)

thanks in advance
    Last edited by uk_steve; 08-01-2010 at 2:18 PM.
    Oh well we only live once ;-)
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 8th Jan 10, 8:57 PM
    • 82,331 Posts
    • 47,428 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 8th Jan 10, 8:57 PM
    • 8th Jan 10, 8:57 PM
    automaticly does my fixed lump sum amount on the ploicy go to my partner because she is in my will?
    First it is paid to the executor of your estate. That in turn is distributed as per your will and tax. If the life policy is written in trust, then it is paid direct to the beneficiary outside of the estate and not included for tax. If its joint owner rather than single owner, then its paid to the surviving owner.
  • uk_steve
    • 9th Jan 10, 3:01 PM
    • 9th Jan 10, 3:01 PM
    First it is paid to the executor of your estate. That in turn is distributed as per your will and tax. If the life policy is written in trust, then it is paid direct to the beneficiary outside of the estate and not included for tax. If its joint owner rather than single owner, then its paid to the surviving owner.
    Originally posted by dunstonh

thank you
    Last edited by uk_steve; 09-01-2010 at 3:04 PM.
    Oh well we only live once ;-)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,716Posts Today

6,765Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • All good now with Cheap Energy Club - the new EDF blagged tariff that'll typically save most £340/yr is now live... https://t.co/soY0xIgT0s

• Very sorry that Cheap Energy Club is struggling, the tech team are on it full pace.

• RT @Income_MAX: RESEARCH PROJECT: We're looking for people living without a bank account for a confidential research project https://t.co/O?

• Follow Martin