Recycling Coat hangers

Options
Nutty_Nora_2
Nutty_Nora_2 Posts: 11 Forumite
edited 29 January 2013 at 5:37PM in Green & ethical MoneySaving
Hi, just been having a clear out and have hundreds of them, mainly plastic or plastic with the metal hook. Does anyone know if they can be recycled??

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• se999
    se999 Posts: 2,409 Forumite
    Options
    Don't know about recycling but there may be alternatives.

Sometimes charity shops need coat hangers, probably the smaller type charities are more likely to need them. Otherwise save them up for carboot sale, someone might want them. Or try offering on freecycle.

I always refuse the hangers now, it's a bit like the carrier bag problem!! I assume they reuse them when it's large chains like M & S.
  • Nutty_Nora_2
    Options
    Thanks, I'll try the local charity shops
  • hum_lovely
    hum_lovely Posts: 184 Forumite
    Options
    My mother in law works for Save the Children and sometimes gets hangers for me as I am always breaking them! I don't know whether they get given many but I know she excitedly texts me when some clothes come in to the shop with hangers! (When I have broken any I recycle them with plastic milk containers, not sure if this is the right thing to do but hate to put them in the bin.....)
  • SaverSarah_2
    Options
    I must admit, I always refuse them in shops which helps for starters, but then any spares I do have I take to our local charity shop when I give them a bag of clothes.

Alternatively you could try offering a bag of hangers on Freecycle if you're a member of your local network?

HTH

xx
  • Happyroly
    Happyroly Posts: 588 Forumite
    Options
    If you returned their yellow coathangers Johnsons dry cleaners were making a donation to MacMillan Nurses, last took some a few months ago so not sure if still same policy but good idea to return their hangers.
  • binna
    binna Posts: 362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We get our ironing done by a local lady (i know - not very money saving!) but she is always on the lookout for any spare hangers, especially the wire ones. Maybe you could try ringing a local ironing company to see if they would accept them?
    The best things in life are free - Janet and Luther:

2009: £1848 2010: £3870 2011: £1789
    2012: £3595 2013: £1280 2014: £762 2015: £2086
    2016: £130 2017: £1425 2021: £152
  • alice's_mum
    alice's_mum Posts: 349 Forumite
    Options
    try your local school, you'd be surprised how many coathangers they'll need for "show costumes etc".
  • Sallys_Savings
    Sallys_Savings Posts: 1,642 Forumite
    Options
    how about advertising on your local group of https://www.freecycle.org ?
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    Options
    I usually refuse coat hangers and carrier bags in shops but still manage to accumulate hundreds!!

I took all the M&S hanger back to them a few months ago. They happily accepted them.

I also acquired a small pile of wine carriers, again from M&S. I took them back a few days before Xmas and they were delighted as they had run out of them.
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • pennies2pounds_3
    Options
    Not really relevant to the OP, but I need some baby clothes hangers! . Any idea where I can get some without paying a fortune;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure