Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Phones & TV > Mobiles > Best mobile phone contract for kids? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Best mobile phone contract for kids?
Closed Thread
Views: 19,887
# 1
antispam246
Old 20-12-2009, 11:44 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Best mobile phone contract for kids?

Hi, I'm looking to take out a couple of mobile phone contracts ideally that come with a choice of handset on any network. What I'm looking for specifically is the ability to limit usuage.

I'm fed up of them using other peoples mobiles and the landline so I'd like to get them contracts with X minute/texts that they can not go over. I've looked around but from what I can see this doesn't appear to be an option with any network provider unles someone can tell me different.

Orange were doing 100 minutes and unlimited texts for 14.99 with a nokia 6303 that's the only one I've enquired about so far but they say I can't stop them from going over their minutes unless I keep checking their usuage online and when they were nearing going over then block the calls. This is what I want BUT I want it to be automatic. Surely someone must offer a similar contract, doesn't have to be 100 minutes, doesn't have to be that handest, doesn't have to be that price, but cheapest best, but I'd just like it so they can not go over their minutes, and get charged extra. When they've used them, that's it.

Any help appreciated.

I say kids but they're older teenagers really.

I've read this article http://www.independent.co.uk/money/s...ne-417102.html but it's dated back in 2006 is this still the case today or have things changed in anyway that could be more beneficial to someone like myself.

Last edited by antispam246; 20-12-2009 at 11:48 AM.
# 2
onetomany
Old 20-12-2009, 11:49 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

well this is what i did, me and hubby got a monthly contract, then my boys have pay as you go phones (o2) we pay a extra 7.50 per month and you can nominate 5 o2 numbers which you get unlimited calls, texts and picher messages, if they need to ring friends they have to top up using there poket money but they can contact me and hubby if they need to hope this helps
The Following User Says Thank You to onetomany For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
antispam246
Old 20-12-2009, 11:53 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetomany View Post
well this is what i did, me and hubby got a monthly contract, then my boys have pay as you go phones (o2) we pay a extra 7.50 per month and you can nominate 5 o2 numbers which you get unlimited calls, texts and picher messages, if they need to ring friends they have to top up using there poket money but they can contact me and hubby if they need to hope this helps
Oh this sounds really interesting! So did you buy them a phone each on pay as you go through o2? Was it basically a handset and sim each with no monthly charge just a one off fixed price then you do the 7.50 (bolt-on?) for the 5 free numbers. Is that bolt-on added to your phone(s) or their phones?, is it 7.50 for both or each?

# 4
ariba10
Old 20-12-2009, 11:57 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to ariba10

We gave our grandchildren older phones that we had upgraded from and PAYG sim cards from ASDA (Carried by Vodafone ) 8p a min calls and 4p text
I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
# 5
Kilty
Old 20-12-2009, 11:58 AM

T-Mobile do a SIM only contract that is capped so you can't go over the free minutes and texts IIRC. It's called Solo Fixed. If it is truely capped it's about your only option.

Giving contract phones to children is pretty daft, in my opinion
The Following User Says Thank You to Kilty For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
robt
Old 20-12-2009, 1:20 PM

Is there a particular reason why you have decided against PAYG? Your first post doesn't say.
# 7
antispam246
Old 20-12-2009, 2:37 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt View Post
Is there a particular reason why you have decided against PAYG? Your first post doesn't say.
I haven't, it doesn't say I've decided against it, just didn't mention, I'm open to all suggestions

# 8
antispam246
Old 20-12-2009, 2:38 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilty View Post
T-Mobile do a SIM only contract that is capped so you can't go over the free minutes and texts IIRC. It's called Solo Fixed. If it is truely capped it's about your only option.

One's 19 the other is 23. I was trying to keep specific details out, sorry. Just imagine them as teenagers.

# 9
robt
Old 20-12-2009, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antispam246 View Post
One's 19 the other is 23. I was trying to keep specific details out, sorry. Just imagine them as teenagers.
I assumed they were younger than that.

They are fully grown adults - tell them to get a contract in their own name!! And to stop using your landline - or make them pay for it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robt For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
antispam246
Old 20-12-2009, 6:18 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt View Post
I assumed they were younger than that.

They are fully grown adults - tell them to get a contract in their own name!! And to stop using your landline - or make them pay for it.
:/ I know I only have myself to blame but please don't go down that road. I'm just looking for help with my original question, tis all. These are xmas presents also.

Update: Having spoken to friends it seems someone can get my the iphone 3g 8gb 600 mins 500 texts unlimited data/wifi for 24.xx a month on 24month contract. Now, this is really outstanding to myself. Staff discount is how, incase anyones wondering. It's not something I can simply toss aside as it's really good money and I know they'd both love it. So my new question is

As this is on o2, what features could I put in place to ensure they don't go over their minutes / texts or would these features just kick in as standard. I know it was mentioned only T-mobile do something like this but I want to double check. Also can I block things like premium numbers and any other things that may contribute to excess charges?

# 11
zooks
Old 20-12-2009, 6:25 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilty View Post

This is what we have just got for our daughter, 350mins, unlimited texts and 30 day rolling contract. If she uses her minutes up she has to top up same as payg so cant incur extra costs. If you go for it don't forget 20 back via quidco.
The Following User Says Thank You to zooks For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
space rider
Old 20-12-2009, 6:30 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I got a contract for my daughter, its on 3 and 75 mins and unlimited text and 2gb internet. I`ve had it capped so it won`t give any credit and cost 12.50 a month. I`ve tested it to make sure!
The Following User Says Thank You to space rider For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
jessmist
Old 20-12-2009, 9:34 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

We use the o2 family bolt it has kept the cost down for us.
Have a look here http://yourfamily.o2.co.uk/familybolton
# 14
ioscorpio
Old 23-12-2009, 10:24 AM

On 3 they would have free 3 to 3 calls, even on payg, also free texts and internet.

http://www.three.co.uk/Pay_As_You_Go...nly/Free_stuff

Argos are doing a touchscreen 3 phone for 39.99, which is 79.99 at 3

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5184206/c_1/1|category_root|Office%2C+PCs+and+phones|14418968/c_2/3|15701358|Mobile+phones|14419095/c_3/4|cat_14419095|3+mobile+phones|14419106.htm

You can also get a 9.99 3 sim with 11 cashback through TopCashBack

Last edited by ioscorpio; 23-12-2009 at 1:03 PM.
# 15
suek15
Old 20-01-2010, 6:24 PM
MoneySaving Convert

solo 2o (monthly sim contract) 600 mins / free internet/unlimited texts 20 mth. GREAT
# 16
DarkConvict
Old 20-01-2010, 11:36 PM

For a kid, Solo 20 Fixed is better. Capped usage.
Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies
Closed Thread