Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

    MSE Wendy
    Don't forget your 2008/9 tax return deadline is 31 Jan 2010.
    • #1
    • 15th Dec 09, 7:05 PM
    Don't forget your 2008/9 tax return deadline is 31 Jan 2010. 15th Dec 09 at 7:05 PM
    What's this all about?

    The deadline to file your claim for 2008-9 returns for the year ending 5 April is 31 Jan 2010. If you miss this deadline you'll be charged an automatic 100 penalty.

    Those that wanted to submit a paper from, the date for this has now passed (it was the 31 October 2009). However filing online is the best bet anyway as you get an immediate acknowledgement.

    See full details of KeyTax Dates.

    To be able to submit an online claim you need to register on the HRMC website. Yet before you can fill in your return an activation code needs to be posted to you. This can take up to 7 days.

    Who needs to do a return?

    Don't automatically think you need to do a return...

    If you've not been sent a self-assessment form, pay tax through the payroll, and don't have any other complicated finances you don't need to do one.

    So this only really hits those who are self-employed. If you're in any doubt call your local tax office to check.

    Ask for savings' statements

    If you need to fill in a self-assesment, part of it is telling them how much interest you earned from savings in the year to April 2009.

    While many savings accounts send you the form, or simply have a section on their websites, not all do so it's worth ensuring you can switftly get hold of them asap.

    Which organisations offer free help?

    If you're on a low income and stuggling to do a return there are ways to get free help.
    • TaxAid: A charity that provides free advice on your rights and responsibilities under the UK tax system and can help with any aspect of tax, not just your self assessment. Help is available for anyone on a low income - whether employed, self-employed, retired or on benefits - who cannot afford to pay for professional advice. Link: TaxAid
    • TaxHelp for Older People (TOP): An independent free tax advice service for anyone over pension age with taxable household income of less than 15k. It has around 550 volunteers able to provide free home visits in many locations, otherwise by telephone or post. Link: TOP
    • Citizens Advice Bureau: Most advisers can help with basic tax queries but may also be able to help find a local tax adviser. Link: Citizens Advice or visit your local bureau (find nearest)
    • HM Revenue & Customs: The tax office is able to help with tax queries at its enquiry centres or by phone on 0161 931 9070. Link: HMRC

      There are also FREE tax workshops around the country for employers (inc. 'Paying your employees' and 'Paying expenses and giving benefits to your employees') and the self employed ('Becoming self employed' and 'Self assessment for self employed people'). Thanks to MoneySaver chapperz on a previous discussion for the top spot. Link: HMRC Workshops
    • Low Incomes Tax Reform Group: A service by the Chartered Institute of Taxation to provide general guidance on tax and related benefits for those who want to do their own tax affairs. Link: LITRG
    Don't miss another deal! Get MoneySavingExpert's Weekly Email
    It's full of new guides, tips, & loopholes; free & spam free
    Last edited by MSE Wendy; 04-01-2010 at 10:29 AM.
    *** Get the Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at ***
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

892Posts Today

6,228Users online

Martin's Twitter