Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    aah
    Naked wines - watch your bank account
    • 3rd Dec 09, 8:42 PM
    Naked wines - watch your bank account 3rd Dec 09 at 8:42 PM
    I received a £40 off voucher from Naked Wines after I spent a bit of money on Amazon.
    I am not stupid - I know that I had to spend £40 - ish to get this £40 off. But the wines were a bit different so I did. Its still quite reasonable - £44.95 for 12 bottles of ok wine. I got the wine and the money was taken from my account.

But today - they have taken an unauthorised £20! I have asked them for it back and told them it is theft in my view; but thought I'd warn others. Watch this space.

A.
Page 1
  • prettypennies
    • 3rd Dec 09, 9:05 PM
    • 3rd Dec 09, 9:05 PM
    Usually, when you take up the £40 voucher offer, you also agree to put £20 a month into your cashback wine account. It does state this on the voucher.
    http://www.nakedwines.com/cashback/index.htm
    The money in your cashback account then can be put towards future wine purchases. I have been buying from Naked wines for over a year now and they are a really great company. I have been offered a trip to one of their wine producers in France and to several local wine tastings.
    They are normally very good at reimbursing customers who have not understood the cashback concept, so if you don't want to continue buying from them, give them a call and I'n am sure they will sort things out for you.

If you do like good wines though and want to share your opinions on them with likeminded people, it really is worth getting invloved in their online community. You earn 33% cashback on all wine purchases (which goes into your wine account for future purchases) Unlike other wine companies, they will only send cases you order.

Hope you get things sorted
    Last edited by prettypennies; 03-12-2009 at 9:07 PM.
    Twins, twice the laughs, twice the fun, twice the mess!

£2012 in 2012 member #114 £8.33/£2012
  • rsykes2000
    • 4th Dec 09, 9:48 AM
    • 4th Dec 09, 9:48 AM
    Another case of not reading what they are doing then coming on here crying 'scam' 'theft' etc...
  • dinglebert
    • 4th Dec 09, 11:14 AM
    • 4th Dec 09, 11:14 AM
    The whole cashback thing on Naked wines is very clear and you have to make a point of clicking on it to start it off. You can quite easily not do the cashback or start the winebank and just buy the wine with the £40 discount. I joined a couple of days ago with a £40 cashback. Ordered 18 bottles with a gift, got the £40 discount, joined the winebank got £23 added to it from my 33% back and they added £20 for good luck so now have just under £50 sitting in the wine bank. Effectively I paid £30 for 18 bottles of great quality wine. Can't complain at all.
    • barvid
    • By barvid 6th Dec 09, 1:43 PM
    • 399 Posts
    • 249 Thanks
    barvid
    • 6th Dec 09, 1:43 PM
    • 6th Dec 09, 1:43 PM
    Another case of not reading what they are doing then coming on here crying 'scam' 'theft' etc...
    Originally posted by rsykes2000
    Yes. Sick to death of all these "SCAM!!" posts which just turn out to be mistakes, errors, misunderstandings etc. The idea that big, High Street companies are all engaged in devious illegal scams (in the true sense of the word) is just plainly ridiculous. Wish people would calm down a bit!
  • mdrefach
    • 16th Dec 09, 10:43 PM
    scorn
    • 16th Dec 09, 10:43 PM
    rsykes2000 and barvid
    This is a very scornful nation isn't it?
    Scorn is what makes forums intolerable
    • barvid
    • By barvid 16th Dec 09, 10:53 PM
    • 399 Posts
    • 249 Thanks
    barvid
    • 16th Dec 09, 10:53 PM
    • 16th Dec 09, 10:53 PM
    Stick around a bit, mdrefach, and you'll soon get tired of all the SCAM!!!!!! threads which turn out to be nothing of the sort...
    • biscit
    • By biscit 17th Dec 09, 8:17 AM
    • 928 Posts
    • 785 Thanks
    biscit
    • 17th Dec 09, 8:17 AM
    • 17th Dec 09, 8:17 AM
    rsykes2000 and barvid
    This is a very scornful nation isn't it?
    Scorn is what makes forums intolerable
    Originally posted by mdrefach
    No, what makes forums intolerable is people who make mistakes and loudly blame others. And also people who make mistakes and behave as if having themselves corrected on their error is some sort of slap in the face.

We should all be more accepting of the consequences of our actions. That will make the world more tolerable.
  • rsykes2000
    • 17th Dec 09, 8:57 AM
    • 17th Dec 09, 8:57 AM
    No, what makes forums intolerable is people who make mistakes and loudly blame others. And also people who make mistakes and behave as if having themselves corrected on their error is some sort of slap in the face.

We should all be more accepting of the consequences of our actions. That will make the world more tolerable.
    Originally posted by biscit
    Well said, I couldn't agree more.
  • sebastia
    I got a letter with my first order asking 'did you realise' i was about to contribute £20 pm to my new wine account. I decided to think about this, in the meantime NakedWines took £20 from my debit card. I did not think a repeat use of my card would be legal, wasn't happy so i rang them. They were excellent and reimbursed my card immediately, then scratched it from my account. I loved the concept but they were unable to set-up a direct debit which i would have been happy with. Why not ? Wines are ace, service is brilliant, but i don't want anyone in control of my debit card !
    • Moglex
    • By Moglex 13th Aug 11, 9:07 AM
    • 1,384 Posts
    • 925 Thanks
    Moglex
    Well, this is interesting.

As a result of this thread I've had a look at their site and it seems quite promising.

It seems even being the subject of a vent on MSE can give companies useful publicity and get them new customers.
    • tkwad
    • By tkwad 13th Aug 11, 4:43 PM
    • 162 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    tkwad
    where can i get a voucher from?
    • Kaye1
    • By Kaye1 13th Aug 11, 10:23 PM
    • 407 Posts
    • 963 Thanks
    Kaye1
    I would recommend them- I am an 'Angel,' which means I pay £20 each month- however, this summer things are a little tight, so I contacted them to stop the payment. They told me that I could take a payment break for 3 months but still keep the 'perks,' of being an Angel.

I am well aware that it is in their interest to do this but the period of time suited me just fine. They were also exceptionally polite and helpful, which can be a rarity these days.

If you ring them, they will give you a voucher code.

In addition, the wine is excellent.
  • the-e-dealer
    naked wines scam
    Originally posted by rsykes2000
    Rubbish. since when is receiving a voucher , not using and and not reading the small print on it a contract ? I too have been a victim of this scam and have told my bank and Watchdog all about it. So far they have stolen £40 from me.

I wasnt joining any cash back club I just asked for 6 wines at £35 a special offer. Goodness knows how many people are losing £20 a month on their debit card. This is illegal.
    Last edited by the-e-dealer; 04-10-2011 at 4:00 PM.
    • vuvuzela
    • By vuvuzela 4th Oct 11, 4:03 PM
    • 3,120 Posts
    • 3,634 Thanks
    vuvuzela
    Rubbish. since when is receiving a voucher , not using and and not reading the small print on it a contract ? I too have been a victim of this scam and have told my bank and Watchdog all about it. So far they have stolen £40 from me.

I wasnt joining any cash back club I just asked for 6 wines at £35 a special offer. Goodness knows how many people are losing £20 a month on their debit card. This is illegal.
    Originally posted by the-e-dealer
    It's not illegal. Really not.
    It's called signing up for something without actually reading what you are signing.
    Foolishness, plain and simple. Not a scam, not dodgy, just people thinking they are getting a bargain and not looking carefully what they are agreeing to.
  • the-e-dealer
    Signing
    I didnt Sign anything. The chap Simon at Ripoff Wines said at first I had ticked a box. I asked what box. And said I hadnt ticked ANY box. He backed down on that and said Because you accepted the voucher you have agreed to joining this club and paying £20 a month. So If I post a letter in very small print through you door saying you will give me your house if you don't contact me and tell me you dont wish to do so Have you entered a contract if you throw it away without reading it? Do I get your house?
    Last edited by the-e-dealer; 04-10-2011 at 4:08 PM.
    • vuvuzela
    • By vuvuzela 4th Oct 11, 4:05 PM
    • 3,120 Posts
    • 3,634 Thanks
    vuvuzela
    I didnt Sign anything.
    Originally posted by the-e-dealer
    So how did they get your bank details ?
    • vuvuzela
    • By vuvuzela 4th Oct 11, 4:07 PM
    • 3,120 Posts
    • 3,634 Thanks
    vuvuzela
    Oh, and it took me literally 15 seconds to type in their name into google, go to their site and READ THE FAQ.

http://www.nakedwines.com/content/help_faq.htm

Read it - it will tell you why they took the 20 quid and that it CLEARLY isn't stolen, it can be requested back at any time. I will repeat, in big letters as you are clearly hard of sight - YOU DIDN'T READ WHAT YOU SIGNED UP FOR.
  • the-e-dealer
    Sight
    Yes I am hard of sight. So do they have right to take my money?
  • the-e-dealer
    So how did they get your bank details ?
    Originally posted by vuvuzela
    I didnt give them my bank details I used a debit card.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

371Posts Today

1,238Users online

Martin's Twitter