Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Praise, Vent & Warnings > Naked wines - watch your bank account (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Naked wines - watch your bank account
Views: 41,147
# 1
aah
Old 03-12-2009, 8:42 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Naked wines - watch your bank account

I received a 40 off voucher from Naked Wines after I spent a bit of money on Amazon.
I am not stupid - I know that I had to spend 40 - ish to get this 40 off. But the wines were a bit different so I did. Its still quite reasonable - 44.95 for 12 bottles of ok wine. I got the wine and the money was taken from my account.

But today - they have taken an unauthorised 20! I have asked them for it back and told them it is theft in my view; but thought I'd warn others. Watch this space.

A.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
prettypennies
Old 03-12-2009, 9:05 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Usually, when you take up the 40 voucher offer, you also agree to put 20 a month into your cashback wine account. It does state this on the voucher.
http://www.nakedwines.com/cashback/index.htm
The money in your cashback account then can be put towards future wine purchases. I have been buying from Naked wines for over a year now and they are a really great company. I have been offered a trip to one of their wine producers in France and to several local wine tastings.
They are normally very good at reimbursing customers who have not understood the cashback concept, so if you don't want to continue buying from them, give them a call and I'n am sure they will sort things out for you.

If you do like good wines though and want to share your opinions on them with likeminded people, it really is worth getting invloved in their online community. You earn 33% cashback on all wine purchases (which goes into your wine account for future purchases) Unlike other wine companies, they will only send cases you order.

Hope you get things sorted
Twins, twice the laughs, twice the fun, twice the mess!

2012 in 2012 member #114 8.33/2012

Last edited by prettypennies; 03-12-2009 at 9:07 PM.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to prettypennies For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
rsykes2000
Old 04-12-2009, 9:48 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Another case of not reading what they are doing then coming on here crying 'scam' 'theft' etc...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rsykes2000 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
dinglebert
Old 04-12-2009, 11:14 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

The whole cashback thing on Naked wines is very clear and you have to make a point of clicking on it to start it off. You can quite easily not do the cashback or start the winebank and just buy the wine with the 40 discount. I joined a couple of days ago with a 40 cashback. Ordered 18 bottles with a gift, got the 40 discount, joined the winebank got 23 added to it from my 33% back and they added 20 for good luck so now have just under 50 sitting in the wine bank. Effectively I paid 30 for 18 bottles of great quality wine. Can't complain at all.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dinglebert For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
barvid
Old 06-12-2009, 1:43 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsykes2000 View Post
Another case of not reading what they are doing then coming on here crying 'scam' 'theft' etc...
Yes. Sick to death of all these "SCAM!!" posts which just turn out to be mistakes, errors, misunderstandings etc. The idea that big, High Street companies are all engaged in devious illegal scams (in the true sense of the word) is just plainly ridiculous. Wish people would calm down a bit!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to barvid For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
mdrefach
Old 16-12-2009, 10:43 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default scorn

rsykes2000 and barvid
This is a very scornful nation isn't it?
Scorn is what makes forums intolerable
# 7
barvid
Old 16-12-2009, 10:53 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Stick around a bit, mdrefach, and you'll soon get tired of all the SCAM!!!!!! threads which turn out to be nothing of the sort...
The Following User Says Thank You to barvid For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
biscit
Old 17-12-2009, 8:17 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrefach View Post
rsykes2000 and barvid
This is a very scornful nation isn't it?
Scorn is what makes forums intolerable
No, what makes forums intolerable is people who make mistakes and loudly blame others. And also people who make mistakes and behave as if having themselves corrected on their error is some sort of slap in the face.

We should all be more accepting of the consequences of our actions. That will make the world more tolerable.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to biscit For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
rsykes2000
Old 17-12-2009, 8:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscit View Post
No, what makes forums intolerable is people who make mistakes and loudly blame others. And also people who make mistakes and behave as if having themselves corrected on their error is some sort of slap in the face.

We should all be more accepting of the consequences of our actions. That will make the world more tolerable.
Well said, I couldn't agree more.
# 10
sebastia
Old 12-08-2011, 7:43 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I got a letter with my first order asking 'did you realise' i was about to contribute 20 pm to my new wine account. I decided to think about this, in the meantime NakedWines took 20 from my debit card. I did not think a repeat use of my card would be legal, wasn't happy so i rang them. They were excellent and reimbursed my card immediately, then scratched it from my account. I loved the concept but they were unable to set-up a direct debit which i would have been happy with. Why not ? Wines are ace, service is brilliant, but i don't want anyone in control of my debit card !
The Following User Says Thank You to sebastia For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Moglex
Old 13-08-2011, 9:07 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Well, this is interesting.

As a result of this thread I've had a look at their site and it seems quite promising.

It seems even being the subject of a vent on MSE can give companies useful publicity and get them new customers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moglex For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
tkwad
Old 13-08-2011, 4:43 PM
MoneySaving Convert

where can i get a voucher from?
The Following User Says Thank You to tkwad For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Kaye1
Old 13-08-2011, 10:23 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I would recommend them- I am an 'Angel,' which means I pay 20 each month- however, this summer things are a little tight, so I contacted them to stop the payment. They told me that I could take a payment break for 3 months but still keep the 'perks,' of being an Angel.

I am well aware that it is in their interest to do this but the period of time suited me just fine. They were also exceptionally polite and helpful, which can be a rarity these days.

If you ring them, they will give you a voucher code.

In addition, the wine is excellent.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kaye1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
the-e-dealer
Old 04-10-2011, 3:57 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default naked wines scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsykes2000 View Post
Rubbish. since when is receiving a voucher , not using and and not reading the small print on it a contract ? I too have been a victim of this scam and have told my bank and Watchdog all about it. So far they have stolen 40 from me.

I wasnt joining any cash back club I just asked for 6 wines at 35 a special offer. Goodness knows how many people are losing 20 a month on their debit card. This is illegal.

Last edited by the-e-dealer; 04-10-2011 at 4:00 PM.
# 15
vuvuzela
Old 04-10-2011, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-e-dealer View Post
Rubbish. since when is receiving a voucher , not using and and not reading the small print on it a contract ? I too have been a victim of this scam and have told my bank and Watchdog all about it. So far they have stolen 40 from me.

I wasnt joining any cash back club I just asked for 6 wines at 35 a special offer. Goodness knows how many people are losing 20 a month on their debit card. This is illegal.
It's not illegal. Really not.
It's called signing up for something without actually reading what you are signing.
Foolishness, plain and simple. Not a scam, not dodgy, just people thinking they are getting a bargain and not looking carefully what they are agreeing to.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vuvuzela For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
the-e-dealer
Old 04-10-2011, 4:04 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Signing

I didnt Sign anything. The chap Simon at Ripoff Wines said at first I had ticked a box. I asked what box. And said I hadnt ticked ANY box. He backed down on that and said Because you accepted the voucher you have agreed to joining this club and paying 20 a month. So If I post a letter in very small print through you door saying you will give me your house if you don't contact me and tell me you dont wish to do so Have you entered a contract if you throw it away without reading it? Do I get your house?

Last edited by the-e-dealer; 04-10-2011 at 4:08 PM.
# 17
vuvuzela
Old 04-10-2011, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-e-dealer View Post
I didnt Sign anything.
So how did they get your bank details ?
The Following User Says Thank You to vuvuzela For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
vuvuzela
Old 04-10-2011, 4:07 PM

Oh, and it took me literally 15 seconds to type in their name into google, go to their site and READ THE FAQ.

http://www.nakedwines.com/content/help_faq.htm

Read it - it will tell you why they took the 20 quid and that it CLEARLY isn't stolen, it can be requested back at any time. I will repeat, in big letters as you are clearly hard of sight - YOU DIDN'T READ WHAT YOU SIGNED UP FOR.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vuvuzela For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
the-e-dealer
Old 04-10-2011, 4:09 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Sight

Yes I am hard of sight. So do they have right to take my money?
# 20
the-e-dealer
Old 04-10-2011, 4:10 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuvuzela View Post
So how did they get your bank details ?
I didnt give them my bank details I used a debit card.