Planet49 scam?

Hi MSE's!

When I go to orange's website to log into my email I see an ad advertising a 'you've potentially won an audi cabriolet a3'.

I did a bit of searching and alot of people are saying it is a scam, planet49.com.

How come it is appearing on orange's website?

I am looking at my email inbox now and it is there, although not very professional looking, at the top of the screen.

Do I have spamware on my PC?

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,283
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    I get the same rubbish on several sites I visit , its not spyware I assume they all use the same advert feeds (Face book gets plagued with rubbish as well)
    I'm a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Shopping and Freebies, Phones and TV and Over 50s boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing . All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • davb
    davb Posts: 1,293 Forumite
    It's not you it's Orange - I can see it if I go to their email logon page.
    Whether or not it's a scam I don't know, but I presume they have paid (or hacked Orange) to be there. As a general rule I would never click on these type of ads anyway.
  • Coopdivi
    Coopdivi Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    If you are using Firefox as your browser then get the Adblock add-on and say goodbye to intrusive, annoying adverts.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865
  • Sparhawke
    Sparhawke Posts: 1,420 Forumite
    edited 29 November 2009 at 5:39AM
    This is a huge issue with virtually all sites that use the various advert server spiders and unfortunately there is fairly little that Orange can do as it is simply dished up by an advertiser who has targeted a site with large footfall...one other possible solution I found once is to go to:

C:windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts

Open that with notepad and delete nothing but add this to the underneath of the other stuff:

127.0.0.1 localhost (copy it and replace localhost with (www).planet49.com or whatever the troublesome address is underneath)

Save and exit.

This should stop it popping up for you :)

~~~

I personally use this for my hosts file:

127.0.0.1 localhost
    127.0.0.1 flashtalking.com
    127.0.0.1 mediaplex.com
    127.0.0.1 video.flashtalking.com
    127.0.0.1 google-analytics.com

Flashtalking is an absolute nightmare that will eat all bandwidth if you give it a chance lol

If you feel uncomfortable with this process you can simply reverse the process and take it out :)
    "Don't blink. Blink and you're dead. They are fast. Faster than you can believe. Don't turn your back. Don't look away. And don't blink. Good Luck" - The Doctor.
  • Sparhawke,

Thanks so much for that tip! Was having so much trouble with flashtalking pop-ups when I visit some sites, and after some searching, came across this. There doesn't seem to be anymore pop-ups after what you suggested with the localhosts, so fingers crossed!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure