IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Planet49 scam?
Closed Thread
Views: 32,928
# 1
Shambler
Old 28-11-2009, 9:22 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Planet49 scam?

Hi MSE's!

When I go to orange's website to log into my email I see an ad advertising a 'you've potentially won an audi cabriolet a3'.

I did a bit of searching and alot of people are saying it is a scam, planet49.com.

How come it is appearing on orange's website?

I am looking at my email inbox now and it is there, although not very professional looking, at the top of the screen.

Do I have spamware on my PC?
The Following User Says Thank You to Shambler For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Browntoa
Old 28-11-2009, 9:35 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I get the same rubbish on several sites I visit , its not spyware I assume they all use the same advert feeds (Face book gets plagued with rubbish as well)
I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Browntoa For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
davb
Old 28-11-2009, 9:35 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

It's not you it's Orange - I can see it if I go to their email logon page.
Whether or not it's a scam I don't know, but I presume they have paid (or hacked Orange) to be there. As a general rule I would never click on these type of ads anyway.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to davb For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Coopdivi
Old 29-11-2009, 4:30 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

If you are using Firefox as your browser then get the Adblock add-on and say goodbye to intrusive, annoying adverts.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Coopdivi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Sparhawke
Old 29-11-2009, 5:33 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

This is a huge issue with virtually all sites that use the various advert server spiders and unfortunately there is fairly little that Orange can do as it is simply dished up by an advertiser who has targeted a site with large footfall...one other possible solution I found once is to go to:

C:windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts

Open that with notepad and delete nothing but add this to the underneath of the other stuff:

127.0.0.1 localhost (copy it and replace localhost with (www).planet49.com or whatever the troublesome address is underneath)

Save and exit.

This should stop it popping up for you

~~~

I personally use this for my hosts file:

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 flashtalking.com
127.0.0.1 mediaplex.com
127.0.0.1 video.flashtalking.com
127.0.0.1 google-analytics.com

Flashtalking is an absolute nightmare that will eat all bandwidth if you give it a chance lol

If you feel uncomfortable with this process you can simply reverse the process and take it out
Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Techie, Boost Your Income & Consumer Rights Boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly; I can move and merge posts there. BGs are not moderators and don't read every post. On spotting an inappropriate or illegal post please report to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse or moderate the forums in any other way). Any views are mine and not the official line of MSE
If you cannot explain something in simple terms, you do not understand it
~ Albert Einstein

Last edited by Sparhawke; 29-11-2009 at 5:39 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sparhawke For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
daftks
Old 01-11-2010, 11:36 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Sparhawke,

Thanks so much for that tip! Was having so much trouble with flashtalking pop-ups when I visit some sites, and after some searching, came across this. There doesn't seem to be anymore pop-ups after what you suggested with the localhosts, so fingers crossed!
Education never ends Watson. It is a series of lessons with the greatest for the last.
Closed Thread