IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Drain outside blocked
Views: 111,461
# 1
mr1974
Old 11-06-2006, 2:36 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Exclamation Drain outside blocked

Hi all,
We have a strange drain for our kitchen, basically the pipe from the kitchen sink ends up outside in a hole with a only a grate and wood board protecting it. The house is quite old. We call it the "hole".

Now the "hole" is now blocked. I am surprised this did not block earlier, you can find all sort of things in the "hole" snails, leaves, kitchen waste etc. I am not sure what kind of people I should call to have this fixed (plumber or drain unblocking company such as dynorod) , or if it's a matter for the water provider?

Am I better off insuring myself against this somehow, and if yes has anyone got any suggestion?

Thanks
mr
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
N9eav
Old 11-06-2006, 6:55 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

The cheapest thing to start with would be to pour a kettle of boiling water down the 'hole' . Often fat from the kitchen sink congeals and blocks things up.

Another free think would be to ram the hosepipe (no end attachments) down the 'hole' see if the water pressure removes the blockage.

Any idea where the holes goes? to a sewer, soak away or septic?

If you know this you could ram the hose from the manhole cover back towards the hole.

All these things are free, before you call the experts.......
NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
The Following User Says Thank You to N9eav For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
ginger_nuts
Old 11-06-2006, 7:08 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9eav
The cheapest thing to start with would be to pour a kettle of boiling water down the 'hole' . Often fat from the kitchen sink congeals and blocks things up.

Another free think would be to ram the hosepipe (no end attachments) down the 'hole' see if the water pressure removes the blockage.

Any idea where the holes goes? to a sewer, soak away or septic?

If you know this you could ram the hose from the manhole cover back towards the hole.

All these things are free, before you call the experts.......
if this dosen't work try caustic soda .
# 4
Mr Warren
Old 11-06-2006, 8:24 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Bloackage mostly caused by built up of fat etc passed the said "hole". Try to reach inside hol;e and clear all debirs (unpleasant by that might save you money). If this does not work, try to find the main inspection manhole (covered by a large metal plate), mine is between my hole and the end of the yard towards the street. This will allow you to confirm flow or no flow or little flow. Get your hose pipe from that end up towards your hole and flush, push, shove.
If this does not work, spend £15 for a set of plumbing rods and do the same. It worked for me.This will unblock any small blockage and same you a small fortune.

A very unpleasant job but.......£££££££££
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Warren For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Tahiti
Old 11-06-2006, 10:32 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I just had a similar problem which, touch wood, I resolved yesterday.

It's a filthy job, but I cleared as much of the muck as possible, and jetted it with a power washer. Job done - for now.
# 6
espresso
Old 11-06-2006, 10:51 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Talking

One tip is to attach your hose to the top of a two litre pop bottle and cut a hole in the base. This provides a better fit when it is pushed into the larger 'hole'. Useful on blocked toilets as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to espresso For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
woodbutcher
Old 11-06-2006, 4:33 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Try to remedy it yourself before calling in someone like dynorod 'cos they charge a small fortune.
# 8
samcat
Old 11-06-2006, 8:20 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I had exactly the same problem

FREE SOLUTION: put on the marigolds, then put your entire arm inside a strong black bin liner, reach down and start unblocking it with your hand, pulling out the gunk slowly. As face is near the drain, scarf round mouth might be needed.

VERY CHEAP SOLUTION: Soda crystals (66p I think from Savers ) down the drain with boiling water

CHEAP SOLUTION: Caustic Soda from homebase or local DIY store ... non brand of course. I can't remember the price ... less than £2 I think

NOT SO CHEAP SOLUTION: drain/chimney sweeping kit £20

EXPENSIVE SOLUTION: Calling someone out... seriously this shouldn't be necessary

LONG TERM SOLUTION: tell the household that fat belongs in the bin, tea leaves in the compost, food stuff belong in the compost or the bin and NOT down the sink. Put a mesh, better drain cover over the drain outside, leaves shouldn't be getting in.

hope some of that helps.

P.s. ... I tried all of the above except paying someone to come out, ..... do you want to know which one was best? The free one

Last edited by samcat; 11-06-2006 at 10:13 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to samcat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
moggins
Old 11-06-2006, 10:02 PM

If your house was built before 1900 then your water board are liable for blocked drains. I found this out a couple of months ago when our drains blocked and I couldn't unblock them no matter what I did. Someone on this site kindly told me all about this strange little loophole.
Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to moggins For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
kittiwoz
Old 12-06-2006, 12:52 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Our house has the same set up as yours only without the wooden board. When ours got blocked I just pulled all the leaves and dead snails out of the grate while wearing rubber gloves. Then I shoved a broomhandle down the drain. Then I ran the hot top for a few minutes and it was actually draining OK but I tipped some drain cleaner down there for good measure. I had already had the drain cleaner, which was a mix of caustic soda and iron filings bought from the pound shop, left over from when the bath wasn't draining.
# 11
N9eav
Old 12-06-2006, 6:53 AM

well mr 1974, tried anything yet?
NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
# 12
mr1974
Old 12-06-2006, 1:26 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Exclamation

I knew I had to come here before anything else. Thank you all guys for the incredibly useful (and moneysaving ;-) ) suggestions.

I am ill now and cannot try anything, but will go as per the suggestions, cheapest to most expensive when I feel better. Also some education is needed in the house on what should/should not go down the drain, to avoid this happening again.

When you say fat should go in the bin, what kind of fat are we talking about? What about cooking oil?
Thanks
mr1974
# 13
mr1974
Old 12-06-2006, 1:31 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Exclamation

Do you know how to find out when my house was built btw
# 14
Van1971
Old 12-06-2006, 6:02 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Cooking oil is evil, you should pour it over old newspapers and chuck it in the bin.
# 15
Van1971
Old 12-06-2006, 6:06 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by moggins
If your house was built before 1900 then your water board are liable for blocked drains. I found this out a couple of months ago when our drains blocked and I couldn't unblock them no matter what I did. Someone on this site kindly told me all about this strange little loophole.
I believe your house needs to be built before 1937 to determine who's responsible for the drains.

Mine was built approx 1938 :rolleyes: I called the Council to find out the exact year and was told they don't keep a record of when houses were built, only of when they were sold over the years. :confused:
The Following User Says Thank You to Van1971 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
N9eav
Old 13-06-2006, 6:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1974
I knew I had to come here before anything else. Thank you all guys for the incredibly useful (and moneysaving ;-) ) suggestions.

I am ill now and cannot try anything, but will go as per the suggestions, cheapest to most expensive when I feel better. Also some education is needed in the house on what should/should not go down the drain, to avoid this happening again.

When you say fat should go in the bin, what kind of fat are we talking about? What about cooking oil?
Thanks
mr1974
Most every time you wash the dishes, some fat will no doubt be present, so it's hard to avoid completely.
But avoid draining the cooked mince beef fat down the sink for example. Wipe out the frying pan with some kitchen roll, before washing. that kind of stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to N9eav For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
samcat
Old 15-06-2006, 8:49 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thumbs up

Quote:
I knew I had to come here before anything else. mr1974
I know what you mean! I am newish to this site, and only came across it after buying the moneydiet book from Amazon almost as an afterthought. Now I find myself thinking of this site before I do anything! there are little savings here there and everywhere. AND I've learnt new things in terms of quality to truly understand the VALUE of products that I never knew before, including tyres, guttering and even the different types of weave in shirts... unbelievable .. I love this forum

Quote:
Thanks
mr1974
All oil and fat should go in the bin. After a roast dinner or frying anything whether in a frying pan or pan or casserole dish I use either;

1) Kitchen towel for a thin layer of fat.. just use your hand like a spatula and the fats in the bin in one swish ... or

2) Big soft spatula for thicker layers of fat... this is really good for the roast potatoes tin when the fat solidifies.
# 18
Wig
Old 15-06-2006, 10:19 PM

The illustration here shows how sewers on properties built before 1st Oct 1937 can be regarded as public. The drains leading to the main sewer are all private. No 16 is all private, I tried to come up with a reason for this and decided it must be from the point that 2 or more houses drain into, hence No.16 has no public sewerage.

Sounds to me like the OP's problem is to do with his private drain irrespective of when his house was built. But of course if the problem has been caused by a blocked main sewer (unlikely) which has backed up to his kitchen drain then it's possible if before 1937 the sewer is public.

I also clean my drains by hand, regularly, I don't bother with gloves & bin liners etc, I just go ahead and do it, and wash my hands afterwards, then i throw a couple of full buckets of water down the drain to clean it out, like a toilet flush.

Last edited by Wig; 15-06-2006 at 10:29 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wig For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
C_Ronaldo
Old 18-06-2006, 8:30 PM

guys/gals i have just found that i have a blocked drain similar to mr1974's drain, i have tried the old trick with the kitchen glove and a black bin liner and see if you can unblock it well it kind of worked as the water level went down, froom what i could feel the drain goes down and then goes away from the house which i find odd, anyone else got any ideas, should i leave for a bit, its not worth pouring a kettle of boiling water down it as that would bring the level up again

ps the house was built around 1979ish
# 20
Wig
Old 19-06-2006, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Ronaldo
guys/gals i have just found that i have a blocked drain similar to mr1974's drain, i have tried the old trick with the kitchen glove and a black bin liner and see if you can unblock it well it kind of worked as the water level went down, froom what i could feel the drain goes down and then goes away from the house which i find odd, anyone else got any ideas, should i leave for a bit, its not worth pouring a kettle of boiling water down it as that would bring the level up again

ps the house was built around 1979ish

You should have an U bend in the drain really to trap the dirt. But your description suggests you don't. so go to a DI store and ask for a set of drain rods.

But before you begin you should try to find out where the drain goes, does it go to a soakaway? if so there is every chance the whole pipe/soakaway has become blocked.

Does it go to the sewer? if so is there an inspection chamber nearby? lift the lid and have a look, the blockage could begin here or further downstream. you want to find where the blockage begins before you start proding.