Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Phones & TV > TV MoneySaving > Say no to Sky's 0844 numbers campaign (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Say no to Sky's 0844 numbers campaign
Closed Thread
Views: 63,056
# 1
DonnyDave
Old 17-11-2009, 2:24 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Say no to Sky's 0844 numbers campaign

At SAYNOTO0870.COM we have been publishing geographical (01/02) alternative numbers to Sky's 0844 numbers. We have got to the point where they only last a day or two before they are taken out of service.

I am not a Sky customer, but I am given to understand certain changes to mean a telephone call, such as changing package, and in particular moving downwards or cancelling the paid-for part of the service. This is because the website and the red button only allow customers to add services.

I urge all Sky customers who have a view on this matter to e-mail the Chief Executive: jeremy.darroch@bskyb.com

Sky could provide an alternative for us to list, but chooses not to. If only a few calls are made to the alternative numbers, then why disable them? If not, then this demonstrates that customers don't like the 0844 numbers.

So Sky, give us an alternative number for customers to use.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DonnyDave For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
davemurgatroyd
Old 17-11-2009, 3:50 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnyDave View Post
At SAYNOTO0870.COM we have been publishing geographical (01/02) alternative numbers to Sky's 0844 numbers. We have got to the point where they only last a day or two before they are taken out of service.

I am not a Sky customer, but I am given to understand certain changes to mean a telephone call, such as changing package, and in particular moving downwards or cancelling the paid-for part of the service. This is because the website and the red button only allow customers to add services.

I urge all Sky customers who have a view on this matter to e-mail the Chief Executive: jeremy.darroch@bskyb.com

Sky could provide an alternative for us to list, but chooses not to. If only a few calls are made to the alternative numbers, then why disable them? If not, then this demonstrates that customers don't like the 0844 numbers.

So Sky, give us an alternative number for customers to use.
The problem with a lot of the numbers you have posted for Sky is that they are direct lines to specific departments within Sky for use by their installers. Sky change these numbers to prevent disruption to their business down to you publicising such numbers. If you were to only publish direct switchboard numbers then no problem BUT the way your site has been publishing numbers is counter-productive.
# 3
Quentin
Old 17-11-2009, 4:02 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnyDave View Post
I am not a Sky customer......
I urge all Sky customers who have a view on this matter to e-mail the Chief Executive: ....
So you are not even a customer, yet publish their CE's personal e-mail address??

Why do you have an axe to grind?

(And coming here and breaking the MSE rules by publishing the e-mail address lets down saynoto0870 as well as trying to bring MSE into isrepute by urging mischievous action like this)
The Following User Says Thank You to Quentin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Quentin
Old 17-11-2009, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Powers View Post
As for bringing this forum into disrepute? You can't even spell the word.
Your point being what exactly?

How does it look if MSE is used as the means to mount mischievous campaigns against individuals by publishing their prsonal e-mail addresses?

When we join up here we agree to be bound by the rules, one of which is not to to post personal email addresses.

And the OP isn't even a customer of Sky, so seems to just be causing them trouble for vindictive reasons.

(And as far as you pointing out that posts here are the personal opinion of the poster - isn't that always the case?)
The Following User Says Thank You to Quentin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Fifer
Old 17-11-2009, 4:51 PM
Mega Magnificent Maxi-Meticulous Uber-MoneySaving Magnate

I suspect Martin doesn't have much of a problem with this campaign or its methods.
There's love in this world for everyone. Every rascal and son of a gun.
It's for the many and not the few. Be sure it's out there looking for you.
In every town, in every state. In every house and every gate.
Wth every precious smile you make. And every act of kindness.
Micheal Marra, 1952 - 2012

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fifer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Quentin
Old 17-11-2009, 4:56 PM

So why would he bother having rules like "don't post personal e-mail addresses" if he was happy for his site to be misused for campaigns like this?
# 7
McKneff
Old 17-11-2009, 4:59 PM

Am i right in thinking that

a. if you are a skytalk customer then calls to sky (eve & weekends) are free

2. calls to 0870 numbers are also free (not sure about just evening and weekends.

Just to add - i think saynoto0870 is great, i have saved a fortune over the years. I tell anyone and everyone about it.

I also think its outrageous that there is an 8p connection charge during the day so usually dont call anyone during that time. 13p to make a 1 minute call is
oTT in my opinion.
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
# 8
incus432
Old 18-11-2009, 12:17 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Do you really think that this really is a 'personal email address' that Mr D uses to chat to his friends? Anyway I'm afraid going to the top is oftenb the only way to get action from these corporations. I fully support saynoto0870 on this.
The Following User Says Thank You to incus432 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Inactive
Old 18-11-2009, 1:55 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by incus432 View Post
Do you really think that this really is a 'personal email address' that Mr D uses to chat to his friends? Anyway I'm afraid going to the top is oftenb the only way to get action from these corporations. I fully support saynoto0870 on this.
So do I, I am convinced that Sky actually tell call centre staff to drag out phone calls in order to increase revenue.
The Following User Says Thank You to Inactive For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
derrick
Old 18-11-2009, 3:59 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKneff View Post
Am i right in thinking that

a. if you are a skytalk customer then calls to sky (eve & weekends) are free

2. calls to 0870 numbers are also free (not sure about just evening and weekends.
No, they are "inclusive", you have to pay a subscription to receive the inclusive calls, if they where free, you would not need to pay anything!

Free = at no cost.
Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

# 11
LeeSouthEast
Old 18-11-2009, 4:33 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

If a company does not have a geographic alternative, or I cannot find one, I don't ring them. It's that simple. I thank SNT0870 for saving me an absolute fortune over the last few years.

Shame on Sky for being money-grabbing !!!!!!!s.
Starting Debt: ~20,000 01/01/2009. DFD: 20/11/2009
Do something amazing. GIVE BLOOD.
# 12
W.W.J.D
Old 21-11-2009, 1:33 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Say No to Sky 0844 Number

E-mail complaints about Sky's 0844 numbers to Chief Exec jeremy.darroch@bskyb.com &
crsupport@bskyb.com

Taken from say no to 0870 site

As far as I know you cannot get to sky other than paying 5p a min on a landline?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to W.W.J.D For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
John 3:16
Old 21-11-2009, 2:57 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Good for a sticky?
# 14
W.W.J.D
Old 22-11-2009, 10:34 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Sky offer free calls to its customer care if you are on their phone package? Can you disconect your TV package if you are also on their phone package?
# 15
dougz
Old 23-11-2009, 3:08 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

apparently if you send a message through their website suggesting that you want to upgrade then they will phone you back, at which point you can discuss something else
# 16
W.W.J.D
Old 23-11-2009, 6:29 PM
MoneySaving Convert

An email from sky Claim? That at weekends it is 1.5p a min? Can anyone confrim this? I have heard all this before and then see a big bill.

It would be good if Sky state on their site at what times they charge more or less.

I have found if you have any trouble contact using the email above it works wonders.
# 17
NonGeographicalMan
Old 23-11-2009, 9:53 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.W.J.D View Post
An email from sky Claim? That at weekends it is 1.5p a min? Can anyone confrim this? I have heard all this before and then see a big bill.
No an 0844 number costs 5p per minute at all times seven days per week. The alien pond life that passes for customer service personnel at Sky are so clueless and/or congenitally dishonest (they receive a lot of training in this behaviour from Sky$ management) that they are quoting the old weekend call rate for calling their old 0870 phone number from a year or two ago.

Also even if you are on Sky's own phone package their 0844 customer service number is not covered as a free call in the weekday daytime but only in the evening or weekend. It seems that Sky have not heard of people who do shift work.

Also if you live in a countryside area there is no possible reason to switch your broadband or calls to Sky because they charge a much higher fee(17 per month for only one flavour) for a totally third rate re-branded service that comes from BT. It is totally unreasonable for Sky to expect everyone in the world to be on Sky Talk and also why they don't cover the weekday daytime calls to Sky for al of those customers.
The Following User Says Thank You to NonGeographicalMan For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
W.W.J.D
Old 23-11-2009, 10:06 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Part of the email reads!!!
They are open 24hrs a day and only 1.5p at weekends?

Last edited by W.W.J.D; 23-11-2009 at 10:13 PM.
# 19
NonGeographicalMan
Old 23-11-2009, 10:26 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
So you are not even a customer, yet publish their CE's personal e-mail address??
Its not his personal email address. Its the official email address of the Chief Executive of Sky and that email address has long been established as the route for customers to use to make escalated high level complaints to Sky.

It may as come as news to you that someone like Mr Darroch with a package of several million pounds per year does not actually do all his own typing or read all his own emails but has a large fleet of personal assistants who sift emails to this email address and only pass to Mr Darroch matters of major business import. The rest are summarised on a daily log as issues customers are especially unhappy about and then passed to customer support to be dealt with as escalated cases. Undoubtedly for really important mail in the business Mr Darroch has an unguessable email address such as jd1739292@bskyb.com that only those in the company at high level will know or use.

It is presumably because some people like you to be so grovellingly polite and obsequious towards a corporate bover boy like Sky, that rooks its customers at every possible turn, that it is so easy for them to get away with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to NonGeographicalMan For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
NonGeographicalMan
Old 23-11-2009, 10:35 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemurgatroyd View Post
The problem with a lot of the numbers you have posted for Sky is that they are direct lines to specific departments within Sky for use by their installers. Sky change these numbers to prevent disruption to their business down to you publicising such numbers.
It sounds almost like you are an employee of Sky from what you have written Mr Murgatroyd (although I seem to remember that you are actually just a very irritating member of the forum who enjoys taking other members to task for its own sake). Otherwise what factual basis do you have for any of the statements that you have made. The reality is that all the numbers published by SayNoTo0870 usually led in to the main IVR system for customer services and the only difference was that they were 01506 numbers and not 0870 or 0844 numbers.

Quote:
If you were to only publish direct switchboard numbers then no problem BUT the way your site has been publishing numbers is counter-productive.
And what switchboard numbers would those be exactly? The only switchboard number Sky has in London refuses to connect customers to its customer service or sales lines and if saynoto0870 were to publish their real switchboard number it would actually obstruct Sky's receipt of normal business to business calls.

Perhaps you should check your facts before making any of these accusations.

There is another email address of crsupport@bskyb.com that Dave could have listed here but either way it reaches the same high level customer service team at the end of the day.

Sky are the architects of their own misfortune here. If they hadn't ditched their 0870 number when it became part of BT call packages and moved to an 0844 number instead there would be no need for SayNoTo0870 to publish geographic alternatives. Sky could easily get a price neutral 03 prefixed number if it didn't want customers to start looking for geographic alternative numbers instead.

Please don't tell me when most customers pay them several hundred pounds per annum that they can't afford to do this.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NonGeographicalMan For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread