Delivery mileage ???

albalad
albalad Posts: 1,194
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
what is deemed to be acceptable delivery mileage ?

is there a recognised maximum ?

i'm curious of peoples views on this , as i have a new car ordered which i have asked the garage to hold onto until sept to get a 59 Reg rather than an 09. which started me thinking about the mileage on it when i actually get it .
Not that i'm suggesting my friendly car saleman will be joy riding about in my new pride and joy , more that by the time i get my grubby hands on it probably at least 5 people will have driven it before me .

what do you think would be a reasonable maximum ?

can you refuse your car if it has an unacceptable delivery mileage ?
"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page."
happy travels !!
"No matter where you go, there you are."
albalad

Comments

• steveo3002
    steveo3002 Posts: 2,731
    Forumite
    most of the new cars ive seen at work have under 10 miles on them

some new cars can have the speedo wiped back to 0000 once only at the pdi
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,342
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    steveo3002 wrote: »
    most of the new cars ive seen at work have under 10 miles on them

some new cars can have the speedo wiped back to 0000 once only at the pdi

Really? So a new car could have done 1000 miles (extreme I know) but the speedo reads 0000 ? That doesnt seem right or fair to me
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Depends where the car has come from, was it driven to your dealership etc.

Why are you looking for a problem before there is one?
  • mine had 80 miles on it when i got it, but it had come from, funnily enough 80miles away, i only chose this option to avoid paying the £150 transporter fee (mine was bought online)

the poor bloke then had to get 3 buses and 2 trains to get back, i did give him a lift to the bus stop tho:rotfl:
  • Takoda
    Takoda Posts: 1,846 Forumite
    Yeah mine has 80 too. Dealership got it from another branch which cut waiting time a bit. HTH.
  • When I was buying a new car 3 years ago, I decided that I wanted a sunroof as well as the aircon that was fitted as standard. It was apparently possible to do this if you gave them three months notice when you placed the order. I didn't want to do this as it would mean an extra service on my current car, M.O.T.. tax and transferring insurance and the associated "administration fee". All in all I reckoned that it would come to something like 400 quid so when the geezer in the showroom suggested that he would have a look on his database to see if there was one in the U.K. that somebody had ordered but had chickened out of buying at the last minute, I was quite interested. There was one in N. Wales and I had that. It arrived a couple of days later with 171 miles on the clock. I was offered the option of having it transported rather than driven but there would have been a charge. Being tighter than the proverbial ducks whatsit, I declined that offer.
    Wished I'd have known about the possibility of having the clock zeroed at p.d.i. at the time. I might have been able to swing it as they were below sales targets and offering some decent goodies rather than dropping prices.
  • steveo3002
    steveo3002 Posts: 2,731
    Forumite
    photome wrote: »
    Really? So a new car could have done 1000 miles (extreme I know) but the speedo reads 0000 ? That doesnt seem right or fair to me

no it only works up to a small limit , not sure on exact numbers would be less that 50

just so the customer can take it away on 0000 miles

not all brands have this either
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,452
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    photome wrote: »

I dont think any dealership would try to palm off 1000 miles as 'delivery mileage'.

I'd have thought less than 100 was fine, more than that i'd be asking questions. I think one of mine had 89 miles on it, most have had less than 20
  • ukjoel
    ukjoel Posts: 1,468
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    No official number for delivery milage but generally under 100 miles.

Most cars arrive with sub 20 miles on at the dealership as they are driven out of factory, into compunds, on and off ferrys, and into compounds and then onto transporters and then into dealer compounds etc and it all does add up.

When you order your car most manufacturers specify if delivered it should be done on a transporter but it depends where you buy it.
    If its via the cheap net sites (often fronts for legit dealers who want to pump stock out their area) the headline price is ultralow but delivery extra. Cheapest way is to get the worlds oldest drivers to deliver it and then mileage will always go up accordingly.
  • goldspanners
    goldspanners Posts: 5,910 Forumite
    ford suggest anything under 250 miles is acceptable as delivery mileage. when i bought my focus it had 80 miles on it i think.
    some manufacturers do say higher than this.
    ...work permit granted!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport