DLA "indefinite period" ?

Options
I was told earlier this year (and I have it in printed format) - that I would receive DLA for an indefinite period
I therefore assume that I will not have to go through the humiliation of being asked all sorts of embarrasing questions ever again ?
But why are so many people in this forum mentioning renewing DLA ?
Plus the mention of stopping DLA completely has been discussed - how is this possible if I am to receive it "indefinitely" ?

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    Most people receive DLA for a set period of time, which could be anything from six months upwards. Therefore they will automatically be sent a renewal pack close to this time. Those receiving DLA for an indefinite period are also subject to random checks, and so may receive a renewal pack at any time.

Even when someone has an indefinite award, it is recognised that someones condition may change, hence the need for renewals.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • brians_daughter
    Options
    21Twinkle wrote: »
    I was told earlier this year (and I have it in printed format) - that I would receive DLA for an indefinite period
    I therefore assume that I will not have to go through the humiliation of being asked all sorts of embarrasing questions ever again ?
    But why are so many people in this forum mentioning renewing DLA ?
    Plus the mention of stopping DLA completely has been discussed - how is this possible if I am to receive it "indefinitely" ?

You can get awarded DLA for various time frames. My father got it for 3 years following 3 massive strokes which have left him blind and practically paralised. This time he has been given it indefinately - we are lead to believe that it is exactly as it says. no re-newal set time frames etc. but you can be re-assessed at anytime as your needs may change

If ppl are mentioning re-newing it may be that they were awarded DLA for say 3 years and the 3 year time frame is now almost up so they need to re-apply/get re-assessed.

As fro DLA being stopped, there is a lot of scare moungering about atm, read up and satisfy yourself. I dont know too much on it so i cant comment - but i will be reading up for my father soon enough
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

As fro DLA being stopped, there is a lot of scare moungering about atm, read up and satisfy yourself. I dont know too much on it so i cant comment - but i will be reading up for my father soon enough

I agree with this, read up on it there is info about and it is just in the disscussion stages in Goverment as yet.

IF at some point they are going to stop DLA I would imagine it would work in the same way as when they stop other benefits like SDA, IB etc. It would close to new claimants but those already on it would continue to get it until they do not qualify and stop claiming it or the claim runs out.
  • Broken_hearted
    Broken_hearted Posts: 9,553 Forumite
    Options
    We are on a three year one, have been on one and two year ones in the past. Every time it goes for renewal we are turned down, have to appeal go through a tribuneral and get it restored. Such a waste of time and money.
    Barclaycard 3800

Nothing to do but hibernate till spring

• 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If they did stop or even try to modify DLA - there would be an outcry - since most of us depend on this payment for day-to-day living - and to pay someone to administer this (as has been discussed) - paying out a few pounds on a need-by-need basis - would be the final straw !!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    21Twinkle wrote: »
    If they did stop or even try to modify DLA - there would be an outcry - since most of us depend on this payment for day-to-day living - and to pay someone to administer this (as has been discussed) - paying out a few pounds on a need-by-need basis - would be the final straw !!

There already is an outcry..
  • mrscb
    mrscb Posts: 1,163 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My son is 10 and has Cerebral Palsy,he has it very severly,he is and will be in a wheelchair for ever, however his DLA is still only awarded for 3 years at a time.He will never walk or live an independant life so this just seems ridiculous to me especially as the older he gets the more help is needed as he gets bigger and heavier:rolleyes:
    :beer: Am thinking of a new one:beer:
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You may get more then - later on - if he needs more help
  • mrscb
    mrscb Posts: 1,163 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    He already gets HR for both...its the length of the award thats the problem...he will never improve so cant understand why its not indefinite..
    :beer: Am thinking of a new one:beer:
  • Vicky123
    Vicky123 Posts: 3,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My sons paed wrote to the DWP and he got it awarded till 16 but like the CP boy he has a lifelong condition with no cure and he is severe.
    I look at it as a positive in that the DWP obviously think a cure is just round the corner:rolleyes:
    Vicky
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport