Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving > Rug Doctor used, now carpets have a bad smell (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Rug Doctor used, now carpets have a bad smell
Closed Thread
Views: 14,752
# 1
Crabman
Old 21-07-2009, 10:20 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Rug Doctor used, now carpets have a bad smell

We've used Rug Doctor machines a few times already and the most recent one (this weekend) seemed no different.

Yet a couple of days later there is a noticeable smell. The doors and windows were left open all day and the weekend weather was nice, dry and warm so I can't see that we've done anything wrong. In fact, the last time it was used was Winter and we had just the central heating to help dry the place.

I've been in contact with Rug Doctor who've said they'll recall the machine and have it tested. Assuming it has a fault they will then admit liability and have the carpets cleaned/restored professionally. They also issued a free deodoriser spray for the affected carpets.

What I wondered was what you folks think could be the cause of this. Poor suction on the machine perhaps leading to excess moisture in the carpets?
I'm a Board Guide on the Savings & Investments, ISAs & Tax-free Savings, Public Transport & Cycling, Motoring and Parking Fines, Tickets & Parking Boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly & I can move & merge posts there. Board Guides are not moderators & don't read every post. If you spot a contentious or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

# 2
Tucker
Old 21-07-2009, 10:55 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via MSN to Tucker

Yes, I would say so.

We had the same problem when we borrowed one from someone. It was the cheap hoover type and several days later it smelt stagnant and musty.

Basically, it hadn't sucked up the vast majority of water so the carpet and underlay stayed wet and then smelled as the water was trapped under it.

On the plus side, it did dry out and the smell went after venting the room, but it took 10 days or so before you could walk back into the house and not smell anything unpleasant.

A rug doctor shouldn't do that at they are far better machines, so it must have lost suction and be a duff machine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tucker For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Doozergirl
Old 21-07-2009, 11:47 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I'd bet on it being poor suction too. I usually run it over one last time without spraying any water, just in case.
everything that is supposed to be in heaven is alread here, on earth.

The Following User Says Thank You to Doozergirl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Fork86
Old 22-07-2009, 5:00 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Get some silica crystals and some water traps, that should suck out all the moisture from the carpets and prevent any mould from growing!
The Following User Says Thank You to Fork86 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Magnolia
Old 22-07-2009, 7:43 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Just do the shake and vac and put the freshness back - do the shake and vac and put your freshness back!!

I shall be singing that all day now :rolleyes:
Mags - who loves shopping
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Magnolia For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Crabman
Old 22-07-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doozergirl View Post
I'd bet on it being poor suction too. I usually run it over one last time without spraying any water, just in case.
I do this too, I never really see any water being sucked up after a dry run but still I expect if the water had time to soak through into the underlay that's what's causing the problem.

I used the deodoriser that was provided, left it overnight and the smell has gone, although at this stage I'm not sure whether that's due to the lemon scent in the deodoriser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia View Post
Just do the shake and vac and put the freshness back - do the shake and vac and put your freshness back!!

I shall be singing that all day now :rolleyes:
Haha - just for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8CTscW3dpI
I'm a Board Guide on the Savings & Investments, ISAs & Tax-free Savings, Public Transport & Cycling, Motoring and Parking Fines, Tickets & Parking Boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly & I can move & merge posts there. Board Guides are not moderators & don't read every post. If you spot a contentious or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

# 7
Magnolia
Old 24-07-2009, 10:44 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

@ Crabman -
Mags - who loves shopping
The Following User Says Thank You to Magnolia For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Crabman
Old 24-07-2009, 11:05 AM

The smell in the bathroom is back, I expect since the deodoriser spray effectively put a lot of moisture back into the carpet.

I've obtained an independent opinion from a local carpet cleaning firm and their view is that the hire machine didn't vacuum the water properly and as a result we are in a similar situation as that of a flood.

After looking at the equipment the professional showed me, I think that's the last time we'll use a Rug Doctor. His price was about double what we paid but when you factor in that they would do the cleaning, etc. it's not a bad deal :rolleyes:

# 9
Alias_Omega
Old 24-07-2009, 11:18 AM

Carpet in bathroom is a nightmare..

Men usually cant hold there aim.

Ditch it for some vinyl..

I am a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and change posts there. However, please remember board guides don't read every post.

If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alias_Omega For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Crabman
Old 24-07-2009, 11:45 AM

The smell is also present in the living room and hallway but to a lesser degree and as per independent opinion is probably due to the lingering moisture combining with bacteria in the carpet.

At long last the machine is due to be picked up from Homebase so we'll find out soon what Rug Doctor's reponse is. Unfortunately Homebase prepared the machine for collection by Rug Doctor a couple of days ago but didn't bother to tell them it was ready :rolleyes:

# 11
Fire Fox
Old 25-07-2009, 12:57 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
We've used Rug Doctor machines a few times already and the most recent one (this weekend) seemed no different.

Yet a couple of days later there is a noticeable smell. The doors and windows were left open all day and the weekend weather was nice, dry and warm so I can't see that we've done anything wrong. In fact, the last time it was used was Winter and we had just the central heating to help dry the place.
Central heating will help evaporate the water, but the carpets won't dry unless you ventilate as well, as the air will soon become saturated. Maybe you didn't leave the windows open for sufficient days for the carpet to dry thoroughly? :confused:
What a difference a day makes, twenty four little hours.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire Fox For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Crabman
Old 13-11-2009, 2:56 PM

Has anyone pursued a (court) claim against Rug Doctor for damages, or know anyone who's done so?

It would be a breach of contract and failure under Supply of Goods and Services Act (1982).

# 13
tiamaria
Old 21-03-2010, 1:42 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi, i would be interested to hear from anyone who's used the rug doctor recently. My son did our carpets for us on Friday and we're left with dark marks/stains all over the carpets, they don't seem to be wet and it should have dried out by now.

we have used this 3 or 4 times before and it was fine!
# 14
Crabman
Old 21-03-2010, 2:35 PM

I'd contact an independent carpet cleaning company to obtain their opinion.

When you inform the store where you rented it, Rug Doctor will take the machine back to its base and 'test it' and inform you if they will accept liability. No prizes for guessing where the customer could lose out unfairly.

This is why if you have an independent professional round who believes it could be a fault with the machine it can be tested independently. That is something I'd have done in hindsight.

The Following User Says Thank You to Crabman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
tiamaria
Old 21-03-2010, 8:04 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks Crabman, I was actually thinking about getting some professional cleaners in to try to sort it.

I've contacted the store and the manager should ring me tomorrow when he's in (we'll see), I'm not expecting much back as the blurb on the receipt says they will only be liable for the cost of renting the machine.

I've managed to remove a couple of blotches with carpet spray cleaner but to do it all will take hours as it's hard to find 2 inches without a mark! It just looks very dirty which defeats the object of using it!

I'm thinking of maybe rehiring the machine and going over it again, can't understand what's gone wrong really as everyone raves over it and how good it is
# 16
Crabman
Old 21-03-2010, 9:43 PM

What they may say on the receipt is irrelevant to your statutory rights which they can never exclude. If you believe this is what they are seeking to do I would suggest you contact trading standards to let them know.

I would suggest you take photos of the damage and then contact a local company (or two) for quotes on rectifying the damage and whether they would be happy to also provide you with a statement to the effect that the damage appears to have been caused by a faulty machine (not incorrect use of the machine as obviously this is outside Rug Doctor's control) and what work they feel is required to put it right. I found a local firm who came round for free and quoted for repair of the damage.

It could be the previous customer did not clean the machine properly but that is not something you are liable for or that they can use as a successful defence, as the store is supposed to check that customers return the machine fully cleaned.

# 17
richardc1983
Old 26-03-2010, 7:07 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I will never use a rug doctor again after one year I thought of being lazy and getting the proffesionals in with the truck mount machines.

The dirt and soap they took out of the carpet that the rug doctor left behind was shocking... my carpets were filthy and getting dirtier quicker because the rug doctor leaves the soapy solution behind.

Now this year I am getting them done proffesionally again, it cost me 70 for my flat and the rug doctor cost 35 after I had bought solutions and messed about for the day.

My carpets are dry after about 3 hours with the proffesionals and they dont use soap they use acids and alkalis which are soap free and the carpets are spotless after... plus I can do something else while they are cleaning.

Waste of time rug doctors, ok to do a small area such as a rug or something but not entire carpets, they get the carpets too wet and do not extract the water properly.
# 18
tiamaria
Old 26-03-2010, 10:08 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Sounds similar to what happened to mine, the carpet just looks very dirty, lots of black blotches.

Anyway the update is that the rug doctor people have given us a refund of the money we paid to hire it, they have taken the machine away to be "independently" assessed to see if it's faulty, only then will they admit any liability. So basically, they will call me in a couple of weeks to tell me they won't accept the blame, can see that coming! But we all know how hard it is getting anything out of these companies - no-one is ever responsible are they?

I'm not waiting that long, the carpets look awful so I've got a local company coming in next week to clean my affected carpets, they are a good price and with my refund I will only be 15 out of pocket, it could've been a lot worse. Of course that doesn't excuse the fact that the rug doctor caused the problem in the first place!

BTW Did you manage to get rid of the smell Crabman?
# 19
richardc1983
Old 26-03-2010, 10:15 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Excellent... make sure they are not using soap based fluids like the rug doctor uses otherwise you might as well just get the rug doctor back out.

Soap residue stays behind and it damages your carpet:

For example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA21R...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qtahy785ZM

Look at the foam when these ppl had to get get the proffesionals in.

Ur company should be using acids and alkalis, they use an alkaline to spray on the carpet to get the dirt out and then an acid based rinse which then neutralises the pg level and all is clean.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richardc1983 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
tiamaria
Old 26-03-2010, 10:54 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Rather yukky videos there! I think the company I've booked will be OK,they use hot water extraction, the machine they use is the Ashby Ninja 400 PSI System(whatever that is!)
They were recommended to me so I'm optimistic, needless to say I will never rent another Rug Doctor!
Closed Thread