Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • Crabman
    • By Crabman 16th Jul 09, 7:03 PM
    • 9,536 Posts
    • 6,942 Thanks
    Crabman
    • 16th Jul 09, 7:03 PM
    • 16th Jul 09, 7:03 PM
    SmileyS posted just a few seconds before I closed the old thread so here is the post:

Quick question or 2 planning to go to Florida next year and i needed to Know
    1 can i hire a car with points on my License
    2 Will my sat nav work in a American car
    3 can i take over my laptop can i charge it up over their
    thanks in advance
    Originally posted by SmileyS
    I'm a Board Guide on the Savings & Investments, ISAs & Tax-free Savings, Public Transport & Cycling, Motoring and Parking Fines, Tickets & Parking Boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly & I can move & merge posts there. Board Guides are not moderators & don't read every post. If you spot a contentious or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

• Fiver29
    • 16th Jul 09, 8:38 PM
    • 16th Jul 09, 8:38 PM
    Originally Posted by SmileyS
    thanks in advance
    Don't know about the first one, but your satnav should work but you'll have to download the maps.
    And yes you'll be able to charge up your laptop, just make sure you buy a Worldwide plug adaptor.
  • theskintfamily
    • 16th Jul 09, 9:31 PM
    • 16th Jul 09, 9:31 PM
    Hi

Its hard to tell you whether to take the car of not. When we never used to take a car it was before the kids were born so we only had to worry about ourselves. So I would be minded to suggest a car for a few reasons really.

If your 3ry was anything like mine last year then they still have a buggy and even if they do not use one at home here they may well want one over there. Its much easier to throw this in the boot than lob it around the trams

Also you will have freedom, you will leave when you want and arrive when you want and your kids can sleep. You will also be free to go places like Busch Gardens etc nice and comfortably.

Now if you do not take a car there is a huge cost saving. The IRide trolley is so cheap its unbelievable but to get to other place you may need a cab or shuttle.

As for your car hire quote thats a lot! We just got my inlaws a mini van for 12 days for 210 quid all in. So I would shop around. The usual sites like Travel Supermarket or carhireflorida. Also there is a great new service you coudl try if you do not want to drive from the airport which is www.caronthedrive.com Peter who runs this company basically will collect you from the airport and take you back home again and your hire car will be waiting. Tell him Craig sent you and you want a good deal!! Cars are about 45 dollars NOT pounds a day.

HTH
    Craig

Thank you so much for this info, think I'm swaying towards getting a car, for convenience more than anything but will shop around for quotes rather than just book through the travel agents.
    Jan GC £0/£200
    • atro1
    • By atro1 17th Jul 09, 5:57 AM
    • 1,443 Posts
    • 887 Thanks
    atro1
    • 17th Jul 09, 5:57 AM
    • 17th Jul 09, 5:57 AM
    Good Lord Crabman thought you had gone to the great website in the sky!!! Been some real interesting times on here!!
    Be ALERT - The world needs more LERTS
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 17th Jul 09, 8:27 AM
    • 6,880 Posts
    • 8,772 Thanks
    jackieblack
    • 17th Jul 09, 8:27 AM
    • 17th Jul 09, 8:27 AM
    Thank you so much for this info, think I'm swaying towards getting a car, for convenience more than anything but will shop around for quotes rather than just book through the travel agents.
    Originally posted by theskintfamily
    There is a big debate about the need for a car regularly on here.... personally I would not do Orlando without one, others never bother.

For us the main advantage of having a car is is in the time we save not hanging around for buses/shuttles etc. If you spend 15 minutes am and pm waiting for a bus, over two weeks that adds up to 7 hours (the best part of a whole day!) wasted, and I am not paying all that money to spend a day of my precious holiday waiting at a bus stop! Also we like to get to the parks early (before opening) and at the end of a long tiring day in the parks the last thing we want to do is hang around waiting for a bus! With a car you can take off for wherever you want to be when its convenient for you.

The first time we went, the driving was the thing I was most worried about, but it was fine, I remember thinking that hundreds of thousands of other tourists manage it perfectly well, and I'm sure I'm just as capable as most of them!
  • ailuro2
    • 17th Jul 09, 9:31 AM
    • 17th Jul 09, 9:31 AM
    This is how some people might work out the car thing -

We are going in December, so costs are higher.
    flights for three - £1800
    accommmodation - £1200

Time available to use in the fortnight- around 200 hours taking sleep and downtime for jetlag into the equation (from experience, we need a quiet first day to make the most of the rest of the holiday)

Every hour we are there it costs us around £15

If we hire a car it will cost us around £300 so to pay for itself it should save us 20 hours of time - I think that will be quite easy when we factor in shopping, travelling to and from parks (twice a day - we're going at Christmas so are doing the early morning then late afternoon plan for touring) and a day trip to Kennedy, plus of course the journey to and from MCO.

Of course it will cost us to park,another thing to factor in is we are very happy to drive there people who are reticent should add in the stress factor of the 'wrong side of the road', we are staying in Clermont in a villa rather than a hotel, we don't really drink much on holiday, but people who do would need a designated driver etc.so all these things need to be taken into account,

if we were staying in a Disney hotel on a dining plan then it would make sense to use the buses and no food shopping to speak of, so no need for a car (unless we wanted to explore the region, in which case we'd not be staying in Disney anyway.)

I think there's no proper answer to the car argument - you have to do what's best for your own circumstances.
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
    • Weggy
    • By Weggy 17th Jul 09, 10:40 AM
    • 463 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    Weggy
    • 17th Jul 09, 10:40 AM
    • 17th Jul 09, 10:40 AM
    I've never done a trip there without a car so can't give the pros and cons comparing one to the other... but I would never go without a car. The US is so car orientated and it really is a must have, in my opinion. Gives you good flexibility too - if we want to get up and go to Kennedy, a Mall, the beach, Disney or whatever... we can. We don't have to worry about buses, taxis etc and their schedules, costs etc. Remember that petrol is a lot cheaper over there too and the road network is excellent.
    • disney_cjd
    • By disney_cjd 17th Jul 09, 11:20 AM
    • 1,212 Posts
    • 657 Thanks
    disney_cjd
    • 17th Jul 09, 11:20 AM
    • 17th Jul 09, 11:20 AM
    Some of the car or not car considerations......

- Do you have kids? - CAR
    - No kids and just having fun as DINKs - NO CAR NEEDED
    - Staying on Disney and only wanting Disney - NO CAR
    - Staying at a Villa - CAR
    - Staying on I DRIVE - EITHER OR REALLY
    - Wanting to see more of Florida than a theme park - CAR

HTH.

There are lots of ways to get around without a car lile I RIDE TROLLY or Mears Shuttles etc ALso if you get off the plane and do not wont to drive then car hire companies like www.caronthedrive.com are great or a town car service like www.quicksilver-tours.com and www.tffanytowncars.com are a good option.

Cheers
    Craig
    Self confessed Florida expert with over 320 trips there!
    Co host of the Disneybrit and Eye on Orlando Podcasts
    and Craig Duncan Soul Show on Orlando Sky Radio

• aitch-aitch
    Hi Crabman - the following link in the first post of this thread is taking me to the Euro currency thread - is it me doing something wrong:rolleyes:

US Currency Questions & Answers Thread
    • Crabman
    • By Crabman 17th Jul 09, 1:47 PM
    • 9,536 Posts
    • 6,942 Thanks
    Crabman
    Hi Crabman - the following link in the first post of this thread is taking me to the Euro currency thread - is it me doing something wrong:rolleyes:

US Currency Questions & Answers Thread
    Originally posted by aitch-aitch
    Sorry about that, I've corrected the link.

Thanks for pointing it out
    I'm a Board Guide on the Savings & Investments, ISAs & Tax-free Savings, Public Transport & Cycling, Motoring and Parking Fines, Tickets & Parking Boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly & I can move & merge posts there. Board Guides are not moderators & don't read every post. If you spot a contentious or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

• Mikepcon
    Originally Posted by SmileyS
    thanks in advance
    Originally posted by Crabman
    I had 9 points on mine last time I went and had no problem hiring a car (am down to 3 now )
  • chopper2540
    Can anyone tell me if magic kingdom is mainly for kids?

Im going to florida with my fiance. We are late 20's and have no kids. Is it worth while going for the day or shall we stick to the more adult parks like Universal and DC.

Also-will be looking to buy a laptop and camera can anyone reccomend a good shop or centre for this?

Thanks
  • KarenG
    Originally posted by chopper2540
    I would say not, but be aware there are no super scary rides there. The ones not to miss in my opinion: Big Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean, Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin.

Craig, I've missed all the excitement over the last few days but glad you're not going anywhere
  • Fiver29

Also-will be looking to buy a laptop and camera can anyone reccomend a good shop or centre for this?

Thanks
    Do you mean buying a camera and LT over there to use when you come back here? If you do, IIRC the voltage over there is half ours, so you'd need a transformer (or whatever they're called) to charge them over here. Plus you'd have to pay import duty on anything that expensive.
  • Winnie1973
    FAO Weggy

In regards to Villa hire what sites did you go on posting an advert stating that you were looking for accomodation?
  • lex

Im going to florida with my fiance. We are late 20's and have no kids. Is it worth while going for the day or shall we stick to the more adult parks like Universal and DC.

Thanks
    I would say that Magic Kingdom is not just for kids but if you are just going for the rides then I wouldn't bother. If you are happy to soak in the Disney atmosphere, watch the characters in the parades and enjoy the whole Disney magic then you'll have a great time!

lex
    • skr80
    • By skr80 18th Jul 09, 5:34 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 176 Thanks
    skr80
    Sat nav will work - obviously you need the Florida map though
    • atro1
    • By atro1 19th Jul 09, 10:25 AM
    • 1,443 Posts
    • 887 Thanks
    atro1
    for Disney nuts and newbies!
    After all the trials that CJD went through, I am nothing to do with this. I do not get paid for referrals.Nor commissions or anything else. I just think that some will enjoy!
    Very well made.

Great quality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqFf-N83MFI&feature=related

15 parts in all
    Be ALERT - The world needs more LERTS
    • anguilla
    • By anguilla 19th Jul 09, 10:52 AM
    • 95 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    anguilla
    Do you mean buying a camera and LT over there to use when you come back here? If you do, IIRC the voltage over there is half ours, so you'd need a transformer (or whatever they're called) to charge them over here. Plus you'd have to pay import duty on anything that expensive.
    Originally posted by Fiver29
    All laptops should work everywhere - they have worldwide adapters - 100-240V - just like shavers so do most cameras - its only the plug that may need changing.

If you are thinking of buying electronics, the main issue is warranty - almost everything you buy in the US will only have a US warranty which means if it goes wrong you have to ship to the US to start with which makes the saving dubious. Advice is to check the warranty carefully before buying anything electronic in the US to use in the UK. Couple that with the duty and guess where I buy my electronics

I think I've strayed enough off-topic now
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,261Posts Today

4,671Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @itvMLshow: We are filming tomorrow in Torremolinos! If you're in the area, head to Branigans on Av. Palma de Mallorca between 5pm-6.45p?

• RT @mmhpi: ??The money and mental health manifesto - 10 steps to boost #mentalhealth & financial #wellbeing for Britain #GE2017 https://t.c?

• In Spain in a restaurant ready for filming in Torremolinos tomorrow (do come and see us if you're there) watching #mcfcmufc #CTID

• Follow Martin