Lottery ticket warning

Options
apparently buying a lottery ticket on line from abroad whilst on holiday or travelling MAY be illegal & result in no payout.Seems ridiculous but BE WARNED.

Comments

• Incapuppy
    Incapuppy Posts: 5,713 Forumite
    Options
    Can you post an official link to back this up please?
  • brousseau
    brousseau Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    I cannot provide a link, but can confirm this was a message recd from the National Lottery on my account page. I was a bit taken aback and e mailed them to query it. They have replied and confirmed that their advice is to purchase a ticket before travelling because local laws may mean it is illegal to buy a ticket online from abroad and that the UK lottery may not pay out. I will gladly forward the e mail to you if you like. I do not know how to post it on this site. I thought it important to make everyone aware as it seems ridiculous to me and an easy way to get out of paying a win.
  • brousseau
    Options
    Another aspect to this. It seems that if you had set up a DD to buy tickets whilst you were abroad, ie you were abroad when you set up the DD. That in itself may contravene local law in some countries and result in no payment. I have specifically asked Camelot to clarify this as well but await a reply.
  • pennylane99
    pennylane99 Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have had this email before
    Playing the National Lottery online is the safe, secure and convenient way to play. Remember that in countries outside of the UK and Isle of Man, local laws often prevent the sale or purchase of tickets for any overseas lottery. To protect players and the UK National Lottery, the National Lottery rules and Terms and Conditions prohibit people from playing online in any country where it is unlawful to do so. This also means that, under local laws and the rules, we would not be able to pay out any prize in these circumstances.

So if you are going away, we would advise you to assume it is unlawful to purchase a ticket online for the UK National Lottery whilst abroad – and to only buy your tickets when you are actually located in the UK or Isle of Man
  • Incapuppy
    Incapuppy Posts: 5,713 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for clarifying this matter.
  • curtlyb
    curtlyb Posts: 676 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wonder whether people in the Channel Islands are aware of this and if it has any implications for them not being 'in the UK' ?????
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So how do they KNOW you are abroad if you don't tell them? OK in your excitement at a major win you may blurt it out but otherwise?
  • Shiny.Side.Up
    Shiny.Side.Up Posts: 164 Forumite
    Options
    dzug1 wrote: »
    So how do they KNOW you are abroad if you don't tell them? OK in your excitement at a major win you may blurt it out but otherwise?

THey may trace the ticket purchase.
    :j [STRIKE]Debt Free[/STRIKE] Savings Wannabe! :j
    Current problems: £107 overdrawn in bank, £112 in unpaid DD's
    Savings made: £0 :(
  • curtlyb
    curtlyb Posts: 676 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    dzug1 wrote: »

IP addresses for purchases are logged, there again it wouldn't be a problem to use some sort of masking site in the same way as people get round watching iplayer
  • brousseau
    Options
    I am still seeking clarification regarding a DD set up whilst abroad is legitimate or not. They have just asked me for my account detail in order for them to check and reply. They can readily tell where you were when buying a ticket or setting up a dd by your IP address on the computer. As they are going to check my DD status it would indicate that this IP address record is retained and if there was a major (or minor) payout they could refuse it if the IP was out of their understanding of UK territory which by all accounts excludes the Channel Islands.
    I will post their response when it comes across. I must say they are prompt and clear in their replies.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure