IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Tree surgery?
Closed Thread
Views: 73,042
# 1
ribenagirl
Old 05-04-2006, 9:56 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Tree surgery?

We've got a quote for getting a sycamore tree in our garden shaped (needs about 6ft cutting out of the top) and trimming back 6 conifers as far as the garden fence. The quote we've been given for both is 150. The hubby is convinced that it sounds like rather a lot - what do you think? thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to ribenagirl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
maxiscot
Old 06-04-2006, 1:13 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Don't know where you are in the country but I had a garden clearance, a cherry tree seriously chopped back, removed a fir tree, removed a clematis and supplied and installed a new fence - we are in london, it was a day's work and cost 240. They also took away all the rubbish - it was a lot of work so I think your quote is quite a lot HTH
The Following User Says Thank You to maxiscot For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Tom_Jones
Old 06-04-2006, 5:03 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Well maxiscot I doubt if the people you employed paid tax or paid for the rubbish from your property to be disposed of properly, more likely it was dumped on the side of a quiet road.

In answer to ribenagirl if the person you are employing is a qualified arborist then 150 is reasonable, it cost us 60 for 10 conifers to be trimmed by about 2 ft last year, it took them 25 mins
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom_Jones For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
ribenagirl
Old 06-04-2006, 5:23 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Smile Thank you!

I probably should have added (a) that we're near Birmingham and (b) that they think it will take them 20 minutes to do the conifers and 1 /2 hours to do the tree. The guy is a qualified tree surgeon. We have tried to get other quotes but noone seems to want to come out, which is why we thought it must be a smallish job and therefore 150 felt like a lot.

I am going to ring the guy back and see if he'll haggle down any? Many thanks for your help, it's appreciated x
# 5
maxiscot
Old 06-04-2006, 8:55 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I take your point Tom but I work for the Government and am very aware of "cash only" deals and flytipping. I received receipts and checked them out before hiring and they were legit.
# 6
tykervic
Old 07-05-2006, 6:24 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I think that that's very reasonable for a qualified tree surgeon - sycamore's are notoriously weak trunked trees, so if they're not trimmed properly they can split down the trunk - I've had a chat with my TS....can you tell?

A few weeks ago we paid £650 (inc VAT) for a 50m lleyandii hedge trimming, 2 laburnum trees, 1 massive lleyandii and 3 scots pine trunks (branchless) removing - our guy took all the waste away and left the garden looking tidier than when he turned up - took him all day, with 5 staff.

HTH
# 7
rabialiones
Old 25-05-2006, 8:28 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

does anyone know where i can have roots tested to determine which tree they are from?
Nice to save.
# 8
**purplemoon**
Old 15-10-2006, 1:54 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Does anyone know roughly how much it would cost to remove approx 20m of privet hedging and a rather large buddleia tree?
# 9
misgrace
Old 15-10-2006, 5:42 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Ribenagirl, I think the price sounds quite reasonable,and I agree with tom jones about the 25 mins to get the job done, it does seem a lot for 25 mins, but they are not cheapest trades by all means.
# 10
Woby_Tide
Old 15-10-2006, 10:04 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

we've had quotes of between £6-800 incl VAT for removal of a single Scots pine that will take best part of 4 hours if not a bit more. £150 an hour seems to a stock rate for hourly work including removal of debris etc. round here

*curses previous house owner for not removing it*
# 11
flossyblog
Old 26-10-2006, 12:59 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

your council should be able to help you with removal of trees and usually free of charge.
# 12
silvercar
Old 26-10-2006, 1:47 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by flossyblog
your council should be able to help you with removal of trees and usually free of charge.
Interesting, great if its true, but why would my council remove trees in my garden?
# 13
Woby_Tide
Old 26-10-2006, 1:58 PM

well our council charged me £10 for a single side A4 photocopy of the planning permission application for removing ours. If their photocopier is that expensive I dread to think how much their tree surgeons are......... (though I know they use the company we are using as a preferred contractor)
The Following User Says Thank You to Woby_Tide For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
bootman
Old 26-10-2006, 9:45 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

My mum has a big tree that is part of a council hedge bordering her garden. Last year a huge bit came down in a storm. They said it was for her to sort out not them as it merged into her garden. cost her a fortune
# 15
sue_balu
Old 26-10-2006, 10:09 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Earlier this year we had to have a large willow which had grown across our garden border over the top of our neighbours shed- removed. In heavy winds it would drop twigs and larger stuff into her garden and she was worried it would eventually come down on her shed. I was told years ago that willows are very brittle and can be unstable so I didnt want to take any chances. The work had to be done from her side of the boundary and the tree surgeons cleared up every bit of material and used a hefty shredder to shred a lot of it which she asked to keep for her garden - hence she was well pleased. It cost us c.£350 and took half a day. The firm were very professional and the workmen considerate and polite. I would use them again even though it was more than I wanted to pay - but I just get very attached to me savings!!
# 16
Mikeyorks
Old 26-10-2006, 10:35 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Bit puzzled that you're all responding to a post made nearly 7 months ago?

Her trees can't have re-grown that much over the Summer.
If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
# 17
Woby_Tide
Old 30-10-2006, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyorks
Bit puzzled that you're all responding to a post made nearly 7 months ago?

Her trees can't have re-grown that much over the Summer.
because someone else asked another tree surgery question a couple of weeks ago having cleverly searched to see if the answer existed and used an old thread rather than the usual trick of just posting a new question because it's 'easier'
The Following User Says Thank You to Woby_Tide For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
Rage in Eden
Old 31-10-2006, 12:21 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

You'll have a laugh at this. We've got a yew in our front garden which is currently covered in berries. Last weekend a "bloke" knocked at the door, "doing some work in the neighbourhood" and offered to give DH a quote for "cutting down your fern tree"! Strewth if he can't tell what a yew tree is........... needless to say we just laughed and said no.
But I'm going to say this once, and once only, Gene. Stay out of Camberwick Green
# 19
tree contractor
Old 23-08-2009, 11:56 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Regarding the first post - 150 sounds very reasonable indeed and I suspect that the price was this low purely due to the recession as tree surgeons are having a hard time of it! Some of the first things to be hit in a recession is construction and tree surgery. Domestic customers are more than happy to leave work untreated for an additional year through hard times.

Having worked in the tree surgery industry and worked alongside expert arborists like my brother, it sometimes saddens me when people grumble at the prices of tree work.

Tree surgery is reknowned for being in the top 5 most dangerous jobs alongside oil rigging, trawler fishing, firefighting etc. It is a profession hugely reliant on trained experts in the field.

Of course there are unqualified people out there who DO under charge, who DO NOT have any qualifications but may have dabbled as a groundsman and picked things up. There are people who DO fly tip as they do not have the correct resources and should NOT be working in the filed of tree surgery. These people cast a dark shadow on the reputation of tree surgeon tradesmen and bring notoriety to the tree surgery trade.

In defense of the prices that true, recommended, qualified, fully insured, reputable and reliable tree surgeon will charge it is worthwhile taking into consideration the costs a professional tree surgeon has just to run the business before profits.

First of all equipment-
A professional tree surgeon never skimps on kit!
First of all PPE - Harnesses, spikes, chainsaw boots, chainsaw pants, chainsaw gloves, helmets, visors, ear protectors (this is all per person!)

Ropes - Various kinds of ropes used for different purposes, ropes for climbing ( times this by the number of tree surgeons on site!) ropes for felling, specially designed ropes for lowering and sectional dismantle, carribeanas, slings, pulleys etc etc

Next - Machinery! various chainsaws - lots of them! Chainsaws for climbing, chainsaws for felling, spare blades, spare chains, chain files, body spares etc etc
Hedge Trimmers, trimmer extensions, blowers, suckers, poles and saw blades (to with stand amps on high voltage cables, not cheap!), pruner heads

and then some-
Van/tipper big enough for site clearance
Woodchippers - 15,000+ each
Stumpgrinders - 8,000+ each

Then the auxilliary stuff-

rakes, brushes, pruners, loppers, blah blah blah

I missed one earlier, possible the mst important - TRAINING - Payment for memberships, NPTC qualifications, City & Guilds, NVQs, climbing courses, powerline clearance/shut down courses etc etc if you are a budding tree surgeon wannabe you might be lucky enough to get the opportunity to work for a large firm that will fund train you.
take all this and then add the cost to maintain all of these above - to repair equipment, to sharpen, change, replace chipper blades, the time it takes to sharpen chainsaw blades or replace when it cuts through a nail that was absorbed by the tree 15 years ago by a washing line that did once upon a time hang, the cost of fuel in all of the above! Sure it might take half an hour to an hour to lower a hedge - and double the time to chip, clear up, and express courier the tons of green waste back to the yard (Oh yes another huge factor - yard rental!!!!) to be tipped and rotated in neat mountainous piles!

So this is the general run of the mill stuff for any professional tree surgeon outfit worth its salt!

Now lets take into account the market - My brother gets a lot of repeeat business, he is very recommended and respected in his trade. Repeat customers are bread and butter - now, the only trouble is - how fast do trees really grow? Now this will obviously vary from species to species, but generally - after he has performed all of his work professionally like the perfectionist he is - conforming to BS3998, the trees will, generally, not need tending or any further treatment for 2-3+ years.

So here comes the other chunky cost - advertising! Well I might assume the reader of this post to think 'all businesses have to do it!' - and I would agree this to be true. However take into account the fact that other markets generally have faster repeat business!

So how much is it to advertise in: yellow pages, yell.com, thomson local, the local door step publications, trade journals, company leaflet printing & distribution, websites, the cost of developing, maintaining hosting, and search engine optimisation. etc etc

Ok so we have established the run of the mill costs- now lets look at the longevity of a tree surgeon and his/her career-

My brother, for instance started at 18 years old, he has been in the profession for over 16 years and has worked for multiple large firms on utility contracts and set up his own tree surgery business. He is very practical and hands on and expects everyone else on site to be his standards or higher! He will always be a tree surgeon!

Now despite the reoccuring risks of self amputation, loss of sight, being crushed beneath falling timbers...and oh... yes...death, the most common hazards and illnesses associated with tree surgery is vibration white finger. A numbness of the nerves caused by repetitive use of chainsaws, hedge trimmers and constant daily use of machinery.

So lets see, assuming all the risks involved and hazely outlined above - do you think 150 is really worth it?

Have you tried weilding a chainsaw or professional hedge trimmer for more than 10 mins?

Well don't cos it wrecks! And kickback will hurt more, so if you wanna go gunho in your garden then seek training first or call in a professional tree surgeon!

150? You got a good deal!!!!

Last edited by tree contractor; 24-08-2009 at 12:30 AM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tree contractor For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
cheesesarnie
Old 24-08-2009, 5:17 PM
MoneySaving Convert

OP has probably moved house by now!....(albeit a good response)
Closed Thread