Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • benjus
    • By benjus 21st May 09, 5:04 PM
    • 4,793 Posts
    • 2,865 Thanks
    benjus
    • 21st May 09, 5:04 PM
    • 21st May 09, 5:04 PM
    Excellent find! Just to clarify, the ZTE627 is the dongle being sold for 5 (http://www.3dongle4free.co.uk/) so for a few quid you can have an unlocked dongle ready to use with any data-enabled SIM card from any network!

Sadly it's a bit late for me, having already paid 13 to DC-unlocker.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • happyhunter
    • 21st May 09, 9:43 PM
    • 21st May 09, 9:43 PM
    great post! unlocked the 3 dongle in 20 mins. Remember to use Win 2000/XP and not Vista. Also, if using the Connection Manager that comes with the attachment, don't forget to include *99# in the 'dial' box.
  • Plushchris
    • 21st May 09, 10:46 PM
    • 21st May 09, 10:46 PM
    I've unlocked it, got an O2 iphone sim but how do I put credit on it? Put it in a regular mobile?
    Missing Tesco R&R since Feb '07 & now a "Tesco veteran" apparently!
  • MyUserNamesTaken
    • 21st May 09, 11:27 PM
    • 21st May 09, 11:27 PM
    great post! unlocked the 3 dongle in 20 mins. Remember to use Win 2000/XP and not Vista. Also, if using the Connection Manager that comes with the attachment, don't forget to include *99# in the 'dial' box.
    Originally posted by happyhunter
    Works fine with Vista too...I used a Vista laptop to do it earlier today without any issues.
  • MyUserNamesTaken
    • 21st May 09, 11:28 PM
    • 21st May 09, 11:28 PM
    I've unlocked it, got an O2 iphone sim but how do I put credit on it? Put it in a regular mobile?
    Originally posted by Plushchris
    I guess so.
  • happyhunter
    • 22nd May 09, 10:50 AM
    • 22nd May 09, 10:50 AM
    Works fine with Vista too...I used a Vista laptop to do it earlier today without any issues.
    Originally posted by MyUserNamesTaken
    That's good to know. I haven't tried it on Vista because the document said not to and will brick the dongle.
  • WhatFrickingUsernameIsnt
    • 27th May 09, 11:43 AM
    • 27th May 09, 11:43 AM
    Originally posted by Plushchris
    Get a swipe card from O2 and register it with your SIM in a phone, after this you can top up with the swipe card at any shop which offers topups. It will be credited to your balance without needing to fiddle about with codes.
    • andyuk1
    • By andyuk1 27th May 09, 2:53 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    andyuk1
    • 27th May 09, 2:53 PM
    50p per Day Mobile Broadband
    • 27th May 09, 2:53 PM
    Good Tip.

I bought the Three Dongle for 4.95 and then unlocked it with the link on this forum. Then i realised that if you get a pay as you go Three Sim( off ebay 49p or 2 Three Shop) and top it up with 10 for voice calls which doesn't expire, you can use their Add On package to add Mobile Internet for 50p per day. This saves you having to spend 10 and having to use it up before it expires. The SIM that comes with the Dongle won't let you do this however a PAYG Sim does.
  • cagey76
    Add On package to add Mobile Internet for 50p per day

Is that package unlimited bandwidth ? I am looking for the cheapest option to get me surfing ability 8 hours a day (share prices on a laptop at work during the internet crackdown we are having)
  • Jemma-T
    Took 26 mins to reflash the drive on a 4GB 1000mhz RAM / Core2Duo system -so a warning to anyone doing this, let it finish its job and it'll be perfect.

Have people used the reflashed software or used another?
    • andyuk1
    • By andyuk1 28th May 09, 4:09 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    andyuk1
    Took about 35Mins to unlock mine
    • balajo
    • By balajo 30th May 09, 11:14 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    balajo
    Took about 35Mins to unlock mine
    Originally posted by andyuk1
    How do you know it is unlocked?
    Does it say so when the process is finished?
    • balajo
    • By balajo 30th May 09, 11:19 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    balajo
    YES, YOU CAN UNLOCK THESE FOR FREE (these are the ones you can get free from http://www.3dongle4free.co.uk/ - just pay 4.95) :

Everything you need to unlock this dongle can be found here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/235523732/ZTE2.rar.html

Just download the files and follow the instructions. Also works on earlier versions. Please take care when doing this, as it involves flashing the firmware on your device. If you don't follow the instructions correctly, you could end up bricking your dongle. You choose to flash your dongle at your own risk.

Thanks to FastEddie and Harlzter over at HUKD.

A full global list of Mobile Broadband provider settings can be found here:

http://www.vysoo.com/apn.php#403
    Originally posted by MyUserNamesTaken
    I dont understand how you make use of these settings.
    • howsoonisnow
    • By howsoonisnow 1st Jun 09, 8:19 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    howsoonisnow
    Slightly off topic - but what program do I need to run/open the downloaded file, which has a "*.rar" extension?
    • DesG
    • By DesG 1st Jun 09, 8:44 PM
    • 1,225 Posts
    • 436 Thanks
    DesG
    Slightly off topic - but what program do I need to run/open the downloaded file, which has a "*.rar" extension?
    Originally posted by howsoonisnow
    winrar amongst others.

Cheers, Des.
  • caz567
    Add On package to add Mobile Internet for 50p per day

Is that package unlimited bandwidth ? I am looking for the cheapest option to get me surfing ability 8 hours a day (share prices on a laptop at work during the internet crackdown we are having)
    Originally posted by cagey76
    I've just looked at the PAYG T&C's and it states unlimited access. Also according to the T&C's you can add "Internet Monthly" for 5 and it gives unlimited access for 30 days. It all sounds too good to be true, but I'm willing to give it a go.

I've just requested a PAYG sim online from Three's website, it's free as far as I can see.

I'm not allowed to post links so hopefully you'll be able to find the relevant information ok.
  • Jemma-T
    For those looking to unzip (unRAR) those files be very careful where you go looking for programs to do that.

Use the trial www.softpedia.com/get/Compression-tools/WinRAR.shtml

Or a completely free and excellent alternative www.izarc.org
  • mr_magicfingers
    Anyone know if the unlocked dongles will work on a Mac. Is the software with this mod generic or windows only?

Thanks for pointing it out, looks a very useful thing, I don't like that the 10 updates only last a month, I only use this occasionally but having such a short period to use the data is annoying.
  • iceburn
    I've just looked at the PAYG T&C's and it states unlimited access. Also according to the T&C's you can add "Internet Monthly" for 5 and it gives unlimited access for 30 days. It all sounds too good to be true, but I'm willing to give it a go.

I've just requested a PAYG sim online from Three's website, it's free as far as I can see.

I'm not allowed to post links so hopefully you'll be able to find the relevant information ok.
    Originally posted by caz567
    Why cant you post the link to three website?

Anyway about the 50p a day / 5 monthly unlimited If I remember correctly "offiically" it is for handset usage only and not to be used connected to a laptop / desktop. So they can block it if they detect it. But dont think there is any report that has happen to date.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,831Posts Today

7,183Users online

Martin's Twitter