Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Benefits & Tax Credits > Tax credits renewal help - childcare vouchers (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

  • Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

    Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

  • No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Tax credits renewal help - childcare vouchers
Closed Thread
Views: 3,080
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
# 1
Rince
Old 17-05-2009, 12:34 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 318
Default Tax credits renewal help - childcare vouchers

Hi, I'm trying to fill in the Tax credits renewal form and where i've got to put the income from employment figure in, i'm confused as to what to put. I've got my P60 and would normally put that figure in, but i've read several times on this forum that if you claim the childcare vouchers from your employer, which I do (the maximun 243 Busy bee vouchers) then you can deduct this from the value of income from your P60, as it's classed as a salary sacrifice.

The 243 gets taken out of my wages before tax is paid.

Before I do this I want to make sure it is correct. I've been on the Tax credits website and looked under the part about how to work out what figure to use as total income and there is a section on what you can deduct and these childcare vouchers aren't mentioned.

So before I put in an income figure, can anyone advise if you can / cannot deduct the amount of childcare vouchers. Thanks.
Rince is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Rince For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
di3004
Old 17-05-2009, 12:51 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: South Wales (Gwent)
Posts: 42,519
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rince View Post
Hi, I'm trying to fill in the Tax credits renewal form and where i've got to put the income from employment figure in, i'm confused as to what to put. I've got my P60 and would normally put that figure in, but i've read several times on this forum that if you claim the childcare vouchers from your employer, which I do (the maximun 243 Busy bee vouchers) then you can deduct this from the value of income from your P60, as it's classed as a salary sacrifice.

The 243 gets taken out of my wages before tax is paid.

Before I do this I want to make sure it is correct. I've been on the Tax credits website and looked under the part about how to work out what figure to use as total income and there is a section on what you can deduct and these childcare vouchers aren't mentioned.

So before I put in an income figure, can anyone advise if you can / cannot deduct the amount of childcare vouchers. Thanks.

Hi there

You can do this by phone as well, we do, its a lot quicker and you can then tell them the extras then, such as vouchers etc or whatever they need to know. I think its a lot easier to explain this on the phone.
Good luck.
The one and only "Dizzy Di"
di3004 is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to di3004 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Rince
Old 17-05-2009, 1:03 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 318
Default

Hi, yes I wil actually do it over the phone, but i'm trying to find out where it tells you, you can take off the childcare voucher from the total income. cheers
Rince is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Rince For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
di3004
Old 17-05-2009, 3:07 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: South Wales (Gwent)
Posts: 42,519
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rince View Post
Hi, yes I wil actually do it over the phone, but i'm trying to find out where it tells you, you can take off the childcare voucher from the total income. cheers

Hi there

Not too sure on that to be honest, they should be able to confirm this to you on the phone as well, and hopefully someone will post up soon to help you here, all the best.
The one and only "Dizzy Di"
di3004 is offline
Report Post
# 5
Rince
Old 19-05-2009, 7:26 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 318
Default

Bump .......

When I spoke to a woman at Tac credits, she didn't seem to know and said just put whats on my P60. Anyone know ? Thanks.
Rince is offline
Report Post
# 6
longhotbath
Old 19-05-2009, 12:41 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 706
Default

Hi - a senior advisor at tax credits told me to put the p60 figure and the salary sacrifice has already been taken into account on the p60 letter.

Check back through your payslips as the salary letters from your employers.

Last edited by longhotbath; 19-05-2009 at 12:41 PM. Reason: spelling
longhotbath is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to longhotbath For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
sarflee
Old 19-05-2009, 3:33 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 372
Default

That is correct! It is a salary sacrifice, therefore the amount for the vouchers are deducted from the salary before it is taxed, therefore the amounts shown on your P60 will be after deduction of the vouchers.
sarflee is offline
Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarflee For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Rince
Old 20-05-2009, 9:40 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarflee View Post
That is correct! It is a salary sacrifice, therefore the amount for the vouchers are deducted from the salary before it is taxed, therefore the amounts shown on your P60 will be after deduction of the vouchers.
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm still confused as the vouchers are taken out of my salary before it's taxed, but my P60 shows my gross earnings, not 2916 less (243 x 12).
Rince is offline
Report Post
# 9
mitchaa
Old 20-05-2009, 9:52 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,243
Default

If there is no mention of it on their site, i would then assume that it is full P60 earnings. You cant base actions on just thought.

mitchaa is offline
Report Post
# 10
Rince
Old 20-05-2009, 12:53 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 318
Default

Exactly. I will ask again when I phone in my earnings. I only asked because i'd read on this site that you could deduct the vouchers. Will let people know what they say. Thanks.
Rince is offline
Report Post
# 11
sarflee
Old 20-05-2009, 8:16 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 372
Default

The details on your P60 are the ones used by the tax office to check if you have paid the correct amount of tax. If the taxable pay showing on your P60 is before deduction of the voucher's this is wrong because this would work out that you have paid too little tax.

Check your wage slips. They should show gross pay to date and taxable pay to date. The gross pay to date will be before any deductions, however the taxable pay to date will be after deducting vouchers, pension payments etc but before deduction of tax or NI. It is the total taxable pay amount that should be shown on your P60. If it isn't I would have a word with your wages department.
sarflee is offline
Report Post
# 12
taffy699
Old 02-06-2009, 9:40 AM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2
Default

Hi there. Following on from this I phoned up to renew my benefits and have been told that as Child care vouchers are a salary sacrifice scheme I have to send a load of items to a specific department in Liverpool (eg New contract!?!?!?!) I haven't had any changes in employment and this scheme is the same as it was last year. Has anyone else had this request??? Cheers
taffy699 is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to taffy699 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
mark13
Old 02-06-2009, 10:26 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 244
Default

We are having the same problem, having opted for childcare vouchers as a salary sacrifice.
I spoke to the tax credit people, and was asked for all manner of documentation, original contract of employment ( that was some 20 yrs ago) agreement between employer and voucher provider, before and after salary sacrifice pay slips... grrrrrr.... nothing has changed other than taking a salary sacrifice... very very beurocratic... as far a I can see there is no where on the form to specify hoew many vouchers are being claimed which can be offset against CTC.
mark13 is offline
Report Post
# 14
nakedmanoncrack
Old 06-06-2009, 12:07 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark13 View Post
We are having the same problem, having opted for childcare vouchers as a salary sacrifice.
I spoke to the tax credit people, and was asked for all manner of documentation, original contract of employment ( that was some 20 yrs ago) agreement between employer and voucher provider, before and after salary sacrifice pay slips... grrrrrr.... nothing has changed other than taking a salary sacrifice... very very beurocratic... as far a I can see there is no where on the form to specify hoew many vouchers are being claimed which can be offset against CTC.
Same here, just off the phone to them.
They are wanting documents which don't even exist as far as I know 'agreement between employer and voucher provider'? Never seen such a thing. I can produce my original contract of employment but like you it was from over 20 yrs ago. Total nonsense, how exactly are we meant to claim? Beyond a joke.
nakedmanoncrack is offline
Report Post
# 15
KevinG
Old 06-06-2009, 9:15 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 779
Default

Gosh this is confusing. I hadn't thought about childcare vouchers in relation to a Tax Credits claim. Perhaps someone could have a read of this and work it out - I would if I didn't have to go and cook dinner!

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/childcare/interaction-tc-cv.htm

I assumed that the P60 taxable pay figure was correct, but having just checked my wife's P60, the taxable pay has not been reduced to take account of the vouchers, only her pension contributions, which seems wrong, as the vouchers appear on her payslips.

If and when HMRC deign to send us our renewal pack I'll have to work out what to put on it.
KevinG is offline
Report Post
# 16
acer99
Old 26-07-2009, 10:12 AM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6
Default

I have wasted half a day now trying to find out the answer to this question and getting nowhere. Just tried phoning the tax credits helpline twice but after listening to all the automated options, I'm told to call back later because they are too busy and promptly cut off. That sums up the whole thing to me! Last year I asked a question about my ISA interest and was told the wrong answer. I honestly believe that a more complicated system coulkd not be developed and that nobody in the whole country actually fully understands tax credits. So after my rant, my question remains:

Which salary figure do I declare? P60 or P60 minus salary sacrifice (which was for childcare vouchers).

Any help or links to official documentation (which I can't find) greatly appreciated.
acer99 is offline
Report Post
# 17
lorelai34
Old 26-07-2009, 7:00 PM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 120
Default

You would need to declare the p60 figure not the p60 minus the salary sacrifice. The tax credit office need to see documentation relating to the salary sacrifice so if they haven't seen it then you can't make the dedction.
lorelai34 is offline
Report Post
# 18
KevinG
Old 26-07-2009, 9:09 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 779
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorelai34 View Post
You would need to declare the p60 figure not the p60 minus the salary sacrifice. The tax credit office need to see documentation relating to the salary sacrifice so if they haven't seen it then you can't make the dedction.
That does seem to be the consensus of opinion. The link I posted was all about how the vouchers can affect your claim for childcare costs, not what income figure you declare and this seems to be the reason they need to know about them. Basically, if you pay for childcare using vouchers, even though you have sacrificed salary to get them, you will not be deemed to have paid for the childcare so will not get help with those costs from Tax Credits. In my case, although we have received childcare vouchers in the past it is irrelevant for Tax Credits purposes since we are not entitled to help with childcare costs as only my wife works more than 16 hours a week. All IMHO of course - I might have got this completely wrong!
KevinG is offline
Report Post
# 19
subsoniccoyote
Old 26-07-2009, 9:50 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 2,081
Default

You declare the total income on your P60. The total figure will already have the salary sacrifice deducted. The P60 total only shows the taxable amount.

You need to send the details to HMRC so that they know about the salary sacrifice scheme, I don't know the full reasons why they want the information but they do.
subsoniccoyote is offline
Report Post
# 20
KevinG
Old 27-07-2009, 9:50 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 779
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsoniccoyote View Post
You declare the total income on your P60. The total figure will already have the salary sacrifice deducted. The P60 total only shows the taxable amount.
Not true, as several have posted. I don't know why the vouchers are not deducted from the P60 figure, but they aren't, I've checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsoniccoyote View Post
You need to send the details to HMRC so that they know about the salary sacrifice scheme, I don't know the full reasons why they want the information but they do.
See my previous post for the reason. It's only relevant if you are claiming for the childcare costs.
KevinG is offline
Report Post
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
 
 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 Forum Jump  

Contact Us - MoneySavingExpert.com - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 9:02 AM.

 Forum Jump  

Free MoneySaving Email

Top deals: Week of 16 April 2014

Get all this & more in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email full of guides, vouchers and Deals

GET THIS FREE WEEKLY EMAIL Full of deals, guides & it's spam free

Latest News & Blogs

Martin's Twitter Feed

profile
  • RT @MoneySavingExp: Weekly email:Free breaking bad, top shares ISA, HOT bband deal ending, 2.5% cash ISA, Tesco wine sale, £10 champers.. h?
  • RT @MoneySavingExp: Ovivo closure: MSE?s reported the mobile firm to authorities. If you?ve been affected, here?s how you can complain http?
  • Right switching off Twitter now. Going back offline. Thanks to those of both sides tweets for making it a more enjoyable watch.

Cheap Travel Money

Find the best online rate for holiday cash with MSE's TravelMoneyMax.

Find the best online rate for your holiday cash with MoneySavingExpert's TravelMoneyMax.

TuneChecker Top Albums

  • VARIOUS ARTISTSNOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC! 87
  • VARIOUS ARTISTSULTIMATE CLUB ANTHEMS
  • VARIOUS ARTISTSFROZEN (ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK)

MSE's Twitter Feed

profile
Always remember anyone can post on the MSE forums, so it can be very different from our opinion.
We use Skimlinks and other affiliated links in some of our boards, for some of our users.