Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > Wheat free recipes and ideas (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Wheat free recipes and ideas
Views: 42,207
# 1
halloweenqueen
Old 17-03-2006, 10:56 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Wheat free recipes and ideas

Has anyone got a good rice flour bread recipe which is wheat free please?
or any other bread etc recipes that are wf?
I have tried wf bread recipes that use xantham gum which is expensive and the bread was very heavy and akin to eating a bath sponge. In fact if anyone was in danger of flooding my bread could have been driven round in a truck and used as an effective sandbag.
I have disregarded the wheat free diet I was on and became quite unwell as a result so making it a mission to get back on it. I did buy some of that bread from the supermarket but its £2 a loaf and I like bread making.
i only picked up a few things which were quite expensive and most of them were
I could also do with some ideas for meals/snacks that preferably don't include potatoes as well.
Thanks!

Last edited by MSE Archna; 04-04-2006 at 4:25 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to halloweenqueen For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
krishna
Old 17-03-2006, 11:15 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

are you looking for wheat free or gluten free?

have you tried corn bread? no recipe to hand but can try todig one out if it helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to krishna For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
MonkeyGirl
Old 17-03-2006, 11:42 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I know how you feel halloweenqueen. My diet seems to consit of salad , pasta or something with potatoes and meat, poultry, fish. So not much variety I'm afraid.

Cereal wise I have found a nice one from tesco's its like Jordan Country Crisp but cheaper and just as nice. It's an oaty one.

For snacks I tend to eat rice cakes the flavoured ones from quakers and fruit and occasionally chocolate bars but they have wheat in as I have the choc digestive bars .

MonkeyGirl

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MonkeyGirl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
shykins
Old 18-03-2006, 10:00 AM

for a wheat AND gluten free bread try the following

90grms almond flour
10 grmsflaxmeal (ground linseed)
10grms bran (i use ground all bran)
2 eggs
3 tbspns cream
1/2 tspn baking powder

mix above,,. in a old fashioned tupperware sandwich box melt 25grm butter.. swirl it round then add the remaining butter to yr mix... the mix should look a bit like porridge...nuke for 3mins

it tastes bit like a wholemeal rye bread but i quite like it

HTH
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shykins For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
halloweenqueen
Old 18-03-2006, 9:44 PM

Thanks, its the wheat free, I can't stomach pasta! I'll have a look for the oaty cereal =- thanks! I try and not eat too much sugar or i swell up like a balloon- not much hope for me I'm afraid!
# 6
MonkeyGirl
Old 18-03-2006, 9:48 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Can you not eat wheat free pasta?

MonkeyGirl

# 7
halloweenqueen
Old 18-03-2006, 9:54 PM

I'm not a great fan of any sauces that go with pasta just to be awkward! I've had so many bad experiences eating pasta that its put me off for life I think.
I do like cornbread so if theres a recipe going I'd be really grateful!
Thanks for your recipe shykins!
I did find that rice bread toasted is ok, so as a treat i'm having that with scrambled or boiled eggs, but its sooooo expensive!
# 8
savvy
Old 18-03-2006, 11:02 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Send a message via Skype™ to savvy

OMG thanks for posting this thread Halloweenqueen!

I had to cut out a lot for food intolerance last year. I eventually reintroduced the lot and have to admit to feeling a lot better when it was all cut out..................I could just about cope, but it was VERY inconvenient and everything had to be preplanned which bored me to death!

I'm trying to go back to cutting out wheat again this year, not done too bad but bread is still a problem, the only one I've found I liked is the Terence Stamp one, but it's £1.89 for a tiny weeny loaf!

Godders made a rice and poppyseed one which was quite nice, but the slices were tiny and it was quite crumbly so not much good for a sandwich.

I'm a convert to rice pasta tho!
Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm

I'm a volunteer Board Guide on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, I can move & change posts, but don't read them all, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones
# 9
savvy
Old 18-03-2006, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halloweenqueen
I do like cornbread so if theres a recipe going I'd be really grateful!
There's a ton load here but haven't tried any.

I'm a volunteer Board Guide on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, I can move & change posts, but don't read them all, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to savvy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
torridon
Old 19-03-2006, 10:34 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Have you tried spelt flour? It is an ancient variety of wheat which a lot of people with wheat allergies can tolerate. Doves Farm make it and you can buy it in larger supermarkets.

Lots of info here:
Doves farm

It is more expensive than normal bread flour, about £1.20 per kilo, but has a really lovely taste.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to torridon For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
savvy
Old 19-03-2006, 11:28 AM

Cheers Torridon, have you ever used it successfully?

# 12
halloweenqueen
Old 19-03-2006, 1:34 PM

I'll give the spelt a go! Thanks for all your help!
# 13
torridon
Old 19-03-2006, 6:53 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I've made loaves with it in my breadmaker using a short program. It comes out with slightly dense, crumb like texture (a bit like soda bread) but is very edible.

I think it would be lighter if you made it by hand and could control the "rise".

It's certainly a lot better and cheaper than the wheat-free breads I've tried from the supermarket.

I have a friend with a wheat allergy and she used to be able to buy spelt bread from a local deli but that was probably made by a local baker.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to torridon For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
angelatgraceland
Old 19-03-2006, 10:13 PM

You could take a look http://www.atkins.com/recipes on the Atkins site-there are a lot of recipes which may be suitable. Dont be put off by the fact that its Atkins!
Annual Grocery budget 2014 is £3000 pa £250 calendar month £57 pw for 3 adults One dog and two cats.
January 2014 spend so far £87
The Following User Says Thank You to angelatgraceland For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
soolin
Old 20-03-2006, 8:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torridon
Have you tried spelt flour? It is an ancient variety of wheat which a lot of people with wheat allergies can tolerate. Doves Farm make it and you can buy it in larger supermarkets.

Lots of info here:
Doves farm

It is more expensive than normal bread flour, about £1.20 per kilo, but has a really lovely taste.
Spelt is a high gluten flour so may set off other allergies.

Soo (gluten free as I have coeliac disease)
I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
New to Forum? Guide
The Following User Says Thank You to soolin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
tooting_jane
Old 20-03-2006, 10:59 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I like the Village Bakery's Sourdough Rye bread. It's also yeast-free. They also sell a gluten-free bread but I've never tried it. They rye bread is not like the German sliced stuff. It's heavier than wholemeal but looks like a proper loaf and does not have all the grains like the German stuff.

www.village-bakery.com

There is a stockist search and you can buy online.
The Following User Says Thank You to tooting_jane For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
savvy
Old 27-03-2006, 8:43 PM

Default Trufree

I've just made a wheat/gluten/egg/milk free victoria sandwich with the Trufree cake mix (there's enough to make 2 whole cakes/12 fairy cakes or a date & banana loaf).

I must admit I did put an egg in as it says it rises better with that in. It came out lovely

Downside I guess is that sugar is at the top of the ingredients list!

Other ingredients;
maize/potato starch
rice flour
sodium bicarb/potassium bitartrate
stabiliser
niacin
iron powder
thiamin/riboflavin/vit B6

Oh and made in factory using nuts.

The Following User Says Thank You to savvy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
halloweenqueen
Old 28-03-2006, 9:36 AM

thanks! I've found tesco as much as I don't like them are doing a wide range of stuff and found they do a small jar of xanthum gum much cheaper than i've seen it before, it also has a little bread recipe on the side so may give that a go as well!
# 19
savvy
Old 28-03-2006, 7:12 PM

Yeah it seems to be in fits and starts with them...........found wheat free pizza bases the other day in there, yet they have definately reduced the organic/wheat free section

# 20
juniper1
Old 28-03-2006, 7:48 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi, I've been wheat free & grain free for 20 years now. I could write a book on it. I'm afraid though that you will never be able to make bread which is like normal bread. Some of the gluten free mixes work well in the bread maker. They've been tried & tested by the experts. I buy the rice bread which sainsbury's now sell and yes it is expensive at around £3 but I only have it for a treat and a whole loaf lasts me a week. Its best toasted. In fact its inedible unless toasted. I haven't had any for quite a few weeks. Rice cakes are good with a soft cheese or pate but watch the latter as it may contain wheat. One of the best investments I made was a book called The Everyday Wheat-Free & Gluten Free cookbook by Michelle Berriedale-Johnson. You may be able to pick one up on Ebay or Amazon.
Its got alot of good cake recipes and the pasta recipe is excellent.
Other than that I experiment. I mix flours. I use potato, rice & gram. I buy them from a corner shop that has everything in bins and you pay per kilo. I make my own pizza bases which are thin & crispy from a mixture of the 3 flours. Pastry is good with rice & gram flour. In fact gram flour is excellent for alot of wheat free cooking.
I collect recipes whenever I see them. I have a huge basket with all my recipes sorted into type, ie chicken recipes/beef recipes, etc,. This way I always have a choice.
As you will know bought sauces & packet mixes are out of the question but most are very easy to copy. Use potato flour for thickening sauces but treat it like you would cornflour by mixing it with a little water before adding it to the sauce and liquid.
The only foods that I really miss are chinese. Homemade chinese is not the same as a takeaway. Indian food is usually fine as they use ingredients like tomato or almonds or cream to thicken. Always ask or find out how things are made. Above all enjoy cooking & experimenting.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to juniper1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>