Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Phones & TV > Mobiles > Free Ikea PAYG mobile sim card plus 3 free credi... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Free Ikea PAYG mobile sim card plus 3 free credit
Closed Thread
Views: 30,910
# 1
MSE Archna
Old 28-04-2009, 7:11 PM
Senior Researcher
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Free Ikea PAYG mobile sim card plus 3 free credit

What's the deal?

Ikea is offering 10,000 free PAYG sim cards, plus 3 free credit on a first come, first served basis. As Ikea call prices are some of the cheapest around this is a good freebie.

How to get one

Simply fill in your details on the Ikea page and the first 10,000 to do so before 5 May will get a free sim with 3 credit loaded on. A sim card's the special chip you put in your phone to give it its ID.

Anything else?

You'll need an unlocked handset to be able to use the sim. Read the Unlock Your Mobile article for full details.

You only have 30 days from when you receive the sim to use the free credit, after this it'll expire. You can get another 2 credit by signing up to the automatic top up service, but this will involve registering your card details for a continuous payment to be taken when your credit falls below 3.

Only one sim per household.

Related Article: Cheapest Mobile

(Ikea piggybacks on the T-mobile network to supply its service, Asda on Vodafone)

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Archna; 29-04-2009 at 12:16 PM.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MSE Archna For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Money_Maker_Shaker
Old 29-04-2009, 7:22 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I'm getting the error message "your credit card needs a 16 digit number" when I ave entered a 16 digit number!

Looks like the site is still having problems.
Go on, shake your money maker!
# 3
mcjordi
Old 29-04-2009, 8:02 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Send a message via AIM to mcjordi

mine will be dispatched within 3-5 days
Sealed pot challenger # 257
currently saving for Chicago Trip 2015/2016 need circa 1500
# 4
catcha125
Old 29-04-2009, 8:35 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Smile Cheap... but ASDA is cheaper..

Its a good deal, but why go with Ikea when Asda is cheaper. Myself and my family have been with Asda now for a few months and had no problems whatsoever. They use the Vodafone network so we have great coverage, we even kept our own numbers. At 8p per minute to any network and 4p a text you cannot go wrong.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catcha125 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Money_saving_Martyn
Old 29-04-2009, 9:00 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

catcha125 has a good point. OK, so a free 3 credit might be a good steal - but you'll confuse everyone else with your new number that you keep for one month!

Asda PAYG is to be cheaper for normal usage (UK texts, UK calls) so I'm sticking with my Asda sim.

An Asda sim is 47p to buy, but they were doing a deal in-store; if you buy 5 top up, you get the sim for free!! (not sure if that's still on)

http://www.asda-mobile.com/

Happy Money Saving
Please note: I am NOT Martin Lewis, just somebody else called Martyn that likes money saving!
# 6
raven-333
Old 29-04-2009, 9:02 AM

thank you
Your SIM card will be issued within 3 to 5 working days
# 7
LauraR123
Old 29-04-2009, 9:27 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Does anybody know of a sim card where you don't need to top up a certain amout each month, just as and when you need to? Its for my dad who doesn't use his phone very much at all. Thanks in advance.
# 8
lolly5648
Old 29-04-2009, 9:46 AM

I also use Asda and make about 1 call a month.
# 9
Orkney Hiker
Old 29-04-2009, 11:23 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Which Network

Does anyone know which network Ikea use? I hope it's not Orange since that would be useless for most parts of Orkney!
# 10
stu369
Old 29-04-2009, 11:45 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraR123 View Post
Does anybody know of a sim card where you don't need to top up a certain amout each month, just as and when you need to? Its for my dad who doesn't use his phone very much at all. Thanks in advance.
That's any Pay As You Go sim card, like this one from Ikea or the one from Asda which is cheaper to use (apart from the free 3 from Ikea)
The Following User Says Thank You to stu369 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
stu369
Old 29-04-2009, 11:54 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orkney Hiker View Post
Does anyone know which network Ikea use? I hope it's not Orange since that would be useless for most parts of Orkney!
T-Mobile
http://www.familymobile.co.uk/about
# 12
Old 29-04-2009, 12:25 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Smile Free network

There is a free mobile network called blyk for 16 - 24 year olds. Free monthly top up of 15 to be spent any way you want. They make money by sending adverts to your handset but ive been with them for almost a year and hardly ever get them!

Just thought you might find this interesting.
The Following User Says Thank You to 02198 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
innovate
Old 29-04-2009, 3:30 PM
PPR
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Can't see anything abut free SIMs on the IKEA site, and the site is also dead slow. Probably the after-effect of Martin's newsletter............
# 14
wild666
Old 29-04-2009, 3:58 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I just signed up for a sim from Ikea and you can take the tick out the box to automatically top up if your balance drops below 3 it said I would receive a card in 3 to 5 days
Someone please tell me what money is
# 15
Kerfuffle
Old 29-04-2009, 4:27 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I just signed up and told it will be dispatched within 3-5 days, fingers crossed, my first freebie!!

Debt Free Date 31.5.13
MFit - T3 # 162
2014mfw# 137 MF goal 02.02.2020
To overpay the mortgage 7 / 81 months (7000.00)
Just because a lending institution says you can afford to borrow some money, doesn't mean you should Only buy NEEDS not WANTS SPC#579
# 16
dave1956
Old 29-04-2009, 4:30 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcha125 View Post
Its a good deal, but why go with Ikea when Asda is cheaper. Myself and my family have been with Asda now for a few months and had no problems whatsoever. They use the Vodafone network so we have great coverage, we even kept our own numbers. At 8p per minute to any network and 4p a text you cannot go wrong.
I tried the Asda service as I like the cheapest option but the reception was apalling! No signal more often than not so switched to IKEA, its a bit more expensive but at least it works. Also I like the online account so you can check your spending. My daughter has vodafone and has the same problem as ASDA.
# 17
lolly5648
Old 29-04-2009, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1956 View Post
I tried the Asda service as I like the cheapest option but the reception was apalling! No signal more often than not so switched to IKEA, its a bit more expensive but at least it works. Also I like the online account so you can check your spending. My daughter has vodafone and has the same problem as ASDA.

I thought it was just where I lived because I get terrible reception with Vodaphone. I believed they were one of the main suppliers and covered most of the country but my old T-mobile's coverage was much better. Having now travelled with it I think Vodaphone's reception is pants and not to be recommended. Cheap calls with Asda though when you can get through
# 18
mum2oneplustwins
Old 29-04-2009, 8:49 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Has anyone done a comparison on here of all the supermarket call and text costs? I'm very tempted by the Asda deal so far!

# 19
colboy
Old 30-04-2009, 8:26 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I have had an Asda sim card for about 8 months now and have an O2 phone as backup because I dont recieve text messages until a few hours after they have been sent on the asda phone
The Following User Says Thank You to colboy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
AP
Old 03-05-2009, 7:06 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraR123 View Post
You are under no obligation to top up any PAYG sim cards from any network each month. However, in most cases, the network will give you a certain amount of 'freebies' in terms of extra credits or text messages when you make a monthly top up. If you don't, you simply pay for all calls and texts at the full standard rate without getting any freebies.
Closed Thread