Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    FleetFanatic
    Voluntary vs Compulsory
    • 23rd Apr 09, 2:36 PM
    Voluntary vs Compulsory 23rd Apr 09 at 2:36 PM
    Can an employer offer voluntary redundancy at a rate lower than that of compulsory redundancy?

The story goes like this..... I am ex-British Rail staff, protected by TUPE.
    No new contract has ever been signed by myself, so as such, my terms and conditions mean that I am entitled to 2 and a half weeks pay for every year of service. The company asked for anybody interested in voluntary redundancy to inform them, which several of us have. Prior to my enquiry I even asked if safeguarded staff stil got a higher amount & the reply was yes, although the exact "higher amount" wasn't stated in the reply.

They have come back with offers of only the bare minimum statutory redundancy, saying they only have to honour our contracts in the case of compulsory redundancy.

Unions say this isn't correct, but the company are adamant. You would have thought, like most companies do, that they would want to offer an attractive enough package to make people take it?

I have a meeting tomorrow to discuss my own personal situation, but I can't help feeling that they are not allowed to discriminate in this way and still have contractual obligations, whether redundancy is voluntary or compulsory.

What I really need is something in black and white stating that redudancy is redundancy, regardless of its form. Which is why I am now busy trawling the net for examples!
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

208Posts Today

1,451Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Warning! Twitter's app update's outrageously reset autoplay video settings, so you eat data at speed. Full help http://t.co/42tOE1EagR RT

• RT @Harry_Bhoy: @MartinSLewis Saved my gran £323 by changing her electricity provider,and haggled her free broadband from Virgin worth £264?

• RT @OfficialChops: @MartinSLewis Hello, Rio HD is free on sky store 'buy and keep'. Today Only. You DO NOT have to have a sky movies subsc?

• Follow Martin