Why is SKY Changing its viewing card?

Options
Is this just a Sky ploy stop its disgruntled ex subscribers from using thier boxes that they paid Sky for in good faith or can we take for granted that the SKY+ SKY boxes will all work as freeview boxes withouts skys new white card? Which probably changes all the channel reciever security algorithms?

Thanks

Comments

• bladeguard
    bladeguard Posts: 87 Forumite
    Options
    Apparently they are called NDS cards
  • jamesb1239
    jamesb1239 Posts: 648 Forumite
    Options
    Sky have to change their viewing cards every 5 years in their contract with NDS (the people who provide the encryption), basically anyone with a valid subscription will receive a new card but all those using it for Free to View viewing with an old card will lose their viewing. Also its a bad time to go abroad as whenever the cards change the bars over there lose their sky until they can manage to get a new one (as sky dont allow subscribers out of the uk!)

hope this helps
  • richardc1983
    richardc1983 Posts: 2,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So abroad they are using it illegally?
    If you found my post helpful, please remember to press the THANKS button! --->
  • bladeguard
    Options
    And from what i have read everyone is going to have to do this who does not subscribe:

Q: I already have Sky digital satellite equipment - what else do I need?

A: All you need to gain access to the free channels available on the digital satellite platform is a Freesat from Sky viewing card, which costs just £19.57. If you’d like to access the interactive services available, you’ll also need a working phone line. To purchase a viewing card please phone Sky on 08448 244 400.
  • bladeguard
    Options
    how does this affect the PVR Foxsat boxes will they not work either.
  • Fifer
    Fifer Posts: 59,413 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I didn't know about this and I'm not sure if it affects me. We have a Sky box left by the previous owner of the house which we occasionally use for FTA channels and especially to watch BBC or ITV programmes from different regions (for example, cheapskate STV didn't show the series of Lewis just finished, so we watched it on ITV London on the Sky box).

Am I right in thinking that the card only enables Sky 3, Fiver and a few other FTV channels (which we never watch) and I don't really need a new card for the FTA stuff?
    There's love in this world for everyone. Every rascal and son of a gun.
    It's for the many and not the few. Be sure it's out there looking for you.
    In every town, in every state. In every house and every gate.
    Wth every precious smile you make. And every act of kindness.
    Micheal Marra, 1952 - 2012
  • 2520years
    2520years Posts: 285 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Fifer wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that the card only enables Sky 3, Fiver and a few other FTV channels (which we never watch) and I don't really need a new card for the FTA stuff?

The freeview box has Sky Sports News, which the Sky box doesn't provide. The Sky box has some other channels but they're nothing to write home about. As you can see, most are available on Freeview anyway...

[FONT=Verdana, Arial]h##p://freesat.co.uk/index.php?page=whatson.Main&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=freesat+channel+list&utm_campaign=freesat
    [/FONT]
  • Fifer
    Fifer Posts: 59,413 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    2520years wrote: »
    The freeview box has Sky Sports News, which the Sky box doesn't provide. The Sky box has some other channels but they're nothing to write home about. As you can see, most are available on Freeview anyway...

[FONT=Verdana, Arial]h##p://freesat.co.uk/index.php?page=whatson.Main&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=freesat+channel+list&utm_campaign=freesat
    [/FONT]

I maybe didn't phrase my question too well. I'm aware of the differences between Freeview (we have two Freeview TVs, two Freeview PVRs and a Freeview DVD recorder :o) and Freeview from Sky (we have a Sky box but no subscription).

What I'm wondering is, will my Sky box still get the FTA satellite channels if my card expires and will I only lose the FTV (Fiver, Sky 3 and a few others). Or will I lose more channels?
    There's love in this world for everyone. Every rascal and son of a gun.
    It's for the many and not the few. Be sure it's out there looking for you.
    In every town, in every state. In every house and every gate.
    Wth every precious smile you make. And every act of kindness.
    Micheal Marra, 1952 - 2012
  • 2520years
    2520years Posts: 285 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Fifer wrote: »
    I maybe didn't phrase my question too well. I'm aware of the differences between Freeview (we have two Freeview TVs, two Freeview PVRs and a Freeview DVD recorder :o) and Freeview from Sky (we have a Sky box but no subscription).

What I'm wondering is, will my Sky box still get the FTA satellite channels if my card expires and will I only lose the FTV (Fiver, Sky 3 and a few others). Or will I lose more channels?

Sorry. Yes, it will effectively become a digital decoder. If your TV is Digital anyway you won't need your box. Either way, you won't need your viewing card.
  • Phantom_Flan_Flinger
    Options
    bladeguard wrote: »
    how does this affect the PVR Foxsat boxes will they not work either.

You won't be affected as it's not a SKY box.
    Dave. :wave:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport