Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales > Ebay buyers getting worse - what to do in this ca... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Ebay buyers getting worse - what to do in this case?
Closed Thread
Views: 756
# 1
minnie123
Old 15-04-2009, 9:55 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Ebay buyers getting worse - what to do in this case?

Hi I am really noticing a lot of buyers taking the pee recently. I sold a jumper the 5th April I only wore it once was in perfect condition a buyer won the item for 99p. She didn't pay then on the 6th day she emailed asking what material the jumper was made from. I said I was unsure as I had cut the label out. Still no payment so on the 8th day I start an unpaid dispute. Today she has emailed me this

"Hiya, i asked what material the above top is made from and you replied you didn't know! As you can't advise me of this, i would like you to cancel my bid and cancel the unpaid item. Thank you"

Now in my opinion a buyer should ask all questions prior to bidding on an item. The item only sold for 99p so it's not a case of the money, but I don't wish to cancel the transaction because I don't think buyers should be able to keep bidding then changing their mind.

Can I just wait until enough days have passed to give her an unpaid strike? Can she leave me negative if I do that? What would you do? :confused:

Cheers
Eleventh Heaven (#123):
# 2
soolin
Old 15-04-2009, 9:56 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

She can leave you a neg whatever you do, personally I would go for a full strike on the basis that as she is TSFE she'll probably not last long as a bidder anyway.
I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
New to Forum? Guide
The Following User Says Thank You to soolin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
minnie123
Old 15-04-2009, 10:06 PM

I think you are right - if she had emailed straight away apologised and asked to cancel the bid in a polite manner I would have probably obliged. But her emails are like she expects whatever she wants - it doesn't matter who she messes about. Sorry to sound thick but what does TSFE stand for Soolin?
Eleventh Heaven (#123):
# 4
JemJam
Old 15-04-2009, 10:08 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I'd def strike too, it's up to the buyer to ask questions before they bid not after; some people have no common sense about things?!
Debt which IS NOW GONE before 31.12.2011: CC - GONE!!! Loan: GONE!!
The Following User Says Thank You to JemJam For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
soolin
Old 15-04-2009, 10:09 PM

TSFE - Too Stupid for Ebay.

Don't forget that if she is daft enough to do this to you she may well be a serial TSFE and already have strikes. Make sure you have your seller references to exclude these bidders from your aucitons in future:

Start from here to set buyer requirements to exclude overseas bidders or bidders with NPB strikes etc.

http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI...ockPreferences
I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
New to Forum? Guide
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to soolin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
bluebell_lily
Old 15-04-2009, 10:10 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie123 View Post
I think you are right - if she had emailed straight away apologised and asked to cancel the bid in a polite manner I would have probably obliged. But her emails are like she expects whatever she wants - it doesn't matter who she messes about. Sorry to sound thick but what does TSFE stand for Soolin?
Too
Stupid
For
EBay

Have you also blocked her in your Blocked Bidders List?
The Following User Says Thank You to bluebell_lily For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
minnie123
Old 15-04-2009, 10:12 PM

Thanks - she has bad feedback already from selling so maybe my strike will get her kicked off!!

It's a shame you can't see if people have strikes already.
Eleventh Heaven (#123):
# 8
soolin
Old 15-04-2009, 10:17 PM

Set your seller rpeferences and then every now and then log in safely and then (only when logged in safely) go to this link:

http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI...ityLog&guest=1

and see how many people have failed to be able to bid on your auctions. It is quite suprising

I've just checked mine and I have someone blocked due to too many unpaid item strikes and they have almost 700 feedback! others tend to be around the 100 mark.
New to Forum? Guide
The Following User Says Thank You to soolin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Hintza
Old 15-04-2009, 11:09 PM

BUT

How can you list an item of clothing without stating the material? One if my pet hates is not knowing whether a shirt is cotton or poly/cotton.
# 10
minnie123
Old 15-04-2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hintza View Post
BUT

How can you list an item of clothing without stating the material? One if my pet hates is not knowing whether a shirt is cotton or poly/cotton.
How?? well you just go into ebay, click sell, write your listing and on the bit that says material leave it blank.

The end of the day it is down to the buyer to make a decision on if they want to bid on the item or not, depending on the info they have got from the listing, or asking the seller a question.
Eleventh Heaven (#123):
# 11
chja
Old 16-04-2009, 6:43 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie123 View Post
How?? well you just go into ebay, click sell, write your listing and on the bit that says material leave it blank.

The end of the day it is down to the buyer to make a decision on if they want to bid on the item or not, depending on the info they have got from the listing, or asking the seller a question.
Spot on.

Did you have any other bidders that you could make a 2nd chance offer too ?
The Following User Says Thank You to chja For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
FloFlo
Old 16-04-2009, 8:08 AM

Did they reply through the unpaid dispute console if they reply through th dispute then they can leave a negative. If they havent replied through the console by the 8th day you can give them a strike close the unpaid dispute and they cant leave a negative as if they do ebay will remove it.
The Following User Says Thank You to FloFlo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
minnie123
Old 16-04-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloFlo View Post
Did they reply through the unpaid dispute console if they reply through th dispute then they can leave a negative. If they havent replied through the console by the 8th day you can give them a strike close the unpaid dispute and they cant leave a negative as if they do ebay will remove it.
They didn't reply through the console - they did the "ask seller a question". I haven't replied I am just waiting until I can strike them. I'm glad ebay will remove the negative I have got 700 plus feedback 100% positive. I know a negative is going to happen one day the way ebay is getting but I want to try and avoid it.
Eleventh Heaven (#123):
Closed Thread