Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    MSE Martin
    0 WOW
    Buying perfume/aftershave for Christmas? Slash the cost!
    • 5th Nov 03, 8:37 PM
    0 WOW
    Buying perfume/aftershave for Christmas? Slash the cost! 5th Nov 03 at 8:37 PM
    It's said more purfume is sold on 24 December than throughout the whole of August. So if you're going to end up buying perfume, do it now via special discount websites and slash pounds off the cost.

Where should I try online?

Two good online retailers for the smelly stuff are Fragrancedirect.co.uk* (first one to try, good for benchmarking the price) and Halfpriceperfumes.co.uk.

These tend to sell testers and imported perfume/aftershave from other markets (grey imports).

This shouldn't be a problem, but it can mean 'unboxed' perfumes - which may be annoying if it's for a gift. But a quick tip to overcome this is if you do want to do it as a gift, simply go and buy a nice looking gift box and pack it in that; the cost saved on buying the perfume should more than cover it.

Of course not all cheap online perfume is what it says on the box (if there is a box) so it's always worth a healthy degree of skepticism though I'm often told my own John Rocha aftershave bought this way still smells good

Where else should I try?

Shopbots (special websites that find the cheapest online price for an item) are also fantastic at tracking down big internet savings. Kelkoo, Pricerunner and Shopping.com are a few good engines that will trawl sites such as Strawberrynet.com and Sospecial.co.uk

Read my Internet Shopping article for more ways to save money online.

A few examples of the savings

Hugo Boss 'Baldessarini' 75ml aftershave lotion - £31 at Boots, or £14.99 at Fragrance Direct = a saving of over 50%

Gucci 'Envy' 50ml eau e toilette spray - £40 at Boots, or £19.40 at Pharmacy 2 U = a saving of over 50%

Christian Dior 'J'adore' 50ml eau de parfum - £44 at Boots, or £29.99 at So Special = savings of a third

Martin

* Using these links helps the site stay ad-free and free to use, as they’re ‘affiliated links’ which invisibly take you via commercial price comparison services like Moneysupermarket or Find, which then pay this site per click. You shouldn’t notice any difference, the links don’t impact the product at all and the editorial line (the things I write) is NEVER impacted by the revenue. If it isn’t possible to get an affiliate link for the best product, it is still recommended and still included. For the sake of transparency go to amazon.co.uk, argos.co.uk or tesco.com for an unaffiliated link. Click on the following link for more details on how this site’s financed.
    Last edited by Former MSE Natasha; 05-12-2006 at 8:12 PM.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

159Posts Today

2,597Users online

Martin's Twitter