Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    LouBLou
    Am I liable for estranged husband's debts?
    • 29th Mar 09, 12:12 PM
    Am I liable for estranged husband's debts? 29th Mar 09 at 12:12 PM
    This might have been covered elsewhere - if so, I'm sorry for the duplicate post.

I separated from my husband last year but have yet to start divorce proceedings. We agreed at the time to separate our finances (mainly debt!) and did so fairly amicably and with the bank's support.

It has since become clear that he isn't keeping up his repayments and, due to a clerical error at the bank, payments have been taken from my savings account for his loan and credit card repayments. The bank originally failed to remove his name from the savings account but this has now been done and the money is being returned to me.

Anyway, it got me thinking about whether the bank could legally take the money from me if he isn't making his payments. I am still his wife and I'm worried that might make me in some way liable. In this instance I'm getting the money back but it's made me worry about what they could do if they put their minds to it...

Does anyone know for certain either way?

Thanks in advance...Lou
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,686Posts Today

8,337Users online

Martin's Twitter