PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Selling but asbestos in artex. Advice requried ASAP

Options

Comments

• edgex
    edgex Posts: 4,177 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    g_fella wrote: »
    I've yet to see the full report, I have seen what was passed onto my estate agent. It was only part of the report, and the contents of the email which I mentioned in my original post.

I wont name the company that did the survey, but I can confirm that they are indeed a member UKAS (your 2nd link).

I've yet to see a HIP (dont get me started on that additional tax imposed by the government) that goes into any detail about things like potential asbestos in the artex. Without doing the test, you cant tell. If you can show me a HIP producer that goes into that much detail, then I will use them on my next sale, as there will be nothing left for the solicitors/surveyors etc to do.

Thanks for the links tho, all info helps.

simple:

tell them that you cant even consider anything whatsoever until you have a copy of the full & complete report
    & then find someone that can read it for you. ask around to see if anyone knows a good surveyor, or an asbestos removal firm.

did the prospective purchaser have a proper survey done, or just have the test done?

did you have a survey done, as part of the HIP?
    if you did, what sort of survey?

where is the asbestos though?
    have they said its in the artex, or the insulation?
  • g_fella
    g_fella Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    poppysarah wrote: »
    But a surveyor will know the age of the house and possibly comment on there being asbestos which he'll recommend another expert tests and investigates.

When my surveyor did his report when I bought the place 5 years ago , there was no mention of asbestos in the artex, or even the possibility of it (at least I dont think there was, I dont have it at the moment as the solicitors borrowed it). Of course I didnt have the full structural survey done, I did the homebuyers survey as clearly the place wasnt falling down and the property was only 22 years old.
    However, I'm not sure it would have stopped me buying the place anyway. It's safe as long as you dont upset it. As I say, the place me and my girlfriend are buying was built in about 74 and I fully expect it to contain asbestos in the artex (now that I am fully aware that it is possible). Dont think it will stop us buying the place, will just make me think I have to take precautions should I need to anything to it.

I think I need to sleep on it (not the artex) as I'm starting to get really annoyed by the whole situation. Millions of houses have been bought and sold in the last 30-odd years. How come I have to have someone with 'issues' make the only reasonable offer I've had on mine.
  • poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Options
    Some reading for you
    http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070513031905AA630IB
    http://www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=48105

It is safe as long as you don't disturb it. But it's obviously disturbing the buyer who's trying to use it as a lever. Your decision. The next buyer might also notice it. Or not. A risk though.
  • g_fella
    Options
    edgex wrote: »
    simple:

tell them that you cant even consider anything whatsoever until you have a copy of the full & complete report
    & then find someone that can read it for you. ask around to see if anyone knows a good surveyor, or an asbestos removal firm.

did the prospective purchaser have a proper survey done, or just have the test done?

did you have a survey done, as part of the HIP?
    if you did, what sort of survey?

where is the asbestos though?
    have they said its in the artex, or the insulation?

Thanks for the sensible advice.

My buyer has so far just had the asbestos test done, as he has a mate of a mate of a friend (or something) that had problems with his house sale (or purchase) because of the artex. He hasnt had the rest of his surveys etc done yet, and I dont suppose he will while he's got this big black cloud of potential scare tactics over his head.

The HIP I had done contained the following :
    Energy Performance Certificate (waste of time)
    Sale Statement
    Title Information - Official copies, Filed Plan
    Local Searches
    Water Drainage Search
    Lease check

i.e. No survey - It's just not part of the HIP. It's his responsibility as the buyer to pay for this and be happy with it.

As for whether the report says the asbestos is in the artex or the ceiling, I'm still trying to ascertain from the bit of the report I've been given. Certainly the only test sample taken from my flat was from the "Textured coating to ceiling". In fact I quote the most interesting line from the report, which I intend to use in my reply to my agent.

"Asbestos materials have been positively identified to the textured coating to the ceilings of the property, however no remedial action is required to be completed to render them safe"

It goes on to say that precautions should be taken IF any maintenance or demolition were to take place. As I say, I only have part of the report, and really really want to see the rest of it.

The more I talk about this, the more I think I shouldnt be paying anything towards the changes he would like to make. However, I dont want to lose this sale, so may just offer him the £50 for paint that 1984ReturnsForReal suggested :money:
  • poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Options
    I read the test takes 10 days to confirm asbestos. Was it day days since the test was done?
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    g_fella wrote: »
    "Asbestos materials have been positively identified to the textured coating to the ceilings of the property, however no remedial action is required to be completed to render them safe"

Send that back through your solicitor if they are already conversing. Our solicitor is so dry when she states the obvious back to people, it makes me laugh.

You'd just get a note:

re: request for 8000 reduction due to necessary remedial work, I would refer you to your own report...
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • g_fella
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    Send that back through your solicitor if they are already conversing. Our solicitor is so dry when she states the obvious back to people, it makes me laugh.

You'd just get a note:

re: request for 8000 reduction due to necessary remedial work, I would refer you to your own report...

You just made me smile for the first time since I got the phone call/email at 4pm this afternoon. And you've just given me another statement for my reply. :D
  • g_fella
    Options
    poppysarah wrote: »
    I read the test takes 10 days to confirm asbestos. Was it day days since the test was done?

It's been about a week, and I've read that it doesnt actually take 10 days for the test. It takes about 5 mins for test and 9 days 23 hours 55 mins to write the report.
  • edgex
    edgex Posts: 4,177 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Seems like they havnt read the full report then.

I cant remember if it has happened, but a few years ago the HSE were 'discussing' having artex with asbestos taken off their controlled list, as its not much of a 'threat'

If you can get someone else to look at the report, when you get it, & confirm that no action is neccesary.
    Or, if you wanted to, get another firm in to do another test, so you know for sure, & if this sale dosnt go anywhere, if anyone in the future brings it up, you already have the info.
  • g_fella
    Options
    Thanks edgex, hopefully I might get my hands on the full report tomorrow. Either way, I still reckon it's his problem, and certainly not something I am going to lose £8k on. He's quite likely to come across artex (and asbestos) in a lot of properties he looks at. Probably a lot of it hidden under skimming.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure