Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

How to get a celebrity to come to your event?

Options
I help out at the local Sea Cadet unit and for our annual presentation evening, I would love to get a local celebrity to come.

We don't have the money to pay for one to attend so how can I emotionally blackmail one to come for free? Unfortunately well behaved teenagers who actually do something for the community that they live in isn't a news worthy item so we can't even get the local paper to attend usually or do a general piece on them so any tips would be gratefully received!
2014 Target;
To overpay CC by £1,000.
Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
£15.88 saved to date

Comments

• Marcheline
    Marcheline Posts: 450 Forumite
    Options
    Don't really have any tips as such, but am just wondering does anyone involved in your local sea cadet group have any contacts that they could use to help? Parents, leaders etc? If not, do you know of any past cadets who have gone on to become famous or who have done noteworthy things? If not, then could you contact the Council and ask for the Mayor to attend, just say what you've said here: that good kids never get rewarded and that it would really be great to see them get some recognition. Maybe you could try contacting a well known presenter from local radio to see if they could attend? Hope you find someone. I am disappointed your local paper aren't interested in covering the event, maybe put some pressure on them to get them to come.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,029 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The Mayor tends to be booked up well ahead, but it's a way of getting publicity, certainly.

The Media Trust may help you with getting publicity - they have factsheets on how to write a press release, and certainly our local Scouts and Cadet forces are in the local paper on a regular basis.

Ah, older thread here may be useful!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • brightonman123
    brightonman123 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    Options
    how about doing an appeal or group page on facebook etc?
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
  • mountainofdebt
    mountainofdebt Posts: 7,795 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks guys for your suggestions.....will certainly have a look into the Media Trust for ideas and inspiration!

Unfortuantely the only portential celebrity that any of the parents could contact is someone the Cadets would never have heard of so you might as well get anyone off the street ( I know it sounds ungrateful but you know what I mean,lol!) and we don't have any famous ex-cadets.

The Mayor has already been invited but has a prior committment so won't be able to attend. I know what you mean about the local paper - it makes you wonder why young people feel demonised in this country - if the people who attended the Unit were running riot, vandalising their community and general living up to people's expectations of how young people behave these days, then a) they would have pots of money thrown at them instead of having to beg every penny b) the paper would be down there like a shot.

We have thought of several celebrities that have connections with the local area - its just a case of contacting them and seeing if they can spare a few hours ..........
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,029 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can the national Sea Cadet HQ help out with famous former cadets? You might be surprised.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • TBeckett100
    TBeckett100 Posts: 4,732 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    where are you based as I know a few celebrities.
  • mountainofdebt
    mountainofdebt Posts: 7,795 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We're in S.Wales
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • madmonster
    madmonster Posts: 406 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I know a few people who live/work in South Wales, but I couldn't ask them, it's one of those things that is just not done. I don't even ask them for autographs!

However, I do know how to get hold of these guys. So have you thought about asking them via their agents. You can get details for agents on IMDB pro... www.imdb.co.uk (sign up for the free trial of pro) and if you present a good enough case to the agent, most times they will put it forward to the celebrity concerned. Be polite, be respectful and don't be afraid to beg and emphasis how much the cadets admire and respect xxx! - these guys have ego's.

Most of these guys are pretty busy and you may find that it will be a case of no, however, never forget that old adage "don't ask don't get!" Try to ask celebrities who live or work near where you want them... that way they've not got to take too much time out of their own lives to help out.

Good luck.
    comps total: Jan 2010 £6000:j

A-Z (124)
    [STRIKE]A B C D[/STRIKE] E [STRIKE]F G H I [/STRIKE]J [STRIKE]K L [/STRIKE]M N O [STRIKE]P[/STRIKE] Q R [STRIKE]S T[/STRIKE] U [STRIKE]V W X[/STRIKE] Y Z
  • aloiseb
    aloiseb Posts: 701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you got a local author? If the celebrity has something to sell they might be more interested....just a cynical thought!
  • oldtoolie
    oldtoolie Posts: 750 Forumite
    Options
    You really need to think positive. You say, 'emotionally blackmail' -- that wouldn't be a good idea even if you could do it. Why do you want to have a 'local celebrity'? If they have no connection to your group, what difference would it make?

Rather than grumble about no one paying attention to your group's good works, you should make a plan to publicise their activities. Did they participate in a beach clean-up? Are they doing something funny for Comic Relief? Are they taking sick children sailing? Those things would be of interest to local media. But they won't know about it unless you tell them.

Events like that are where you are more likely to attract the attention of a 'local celebrity' as well -- if you invite them in the right way.

Celebrities are celebrities because they are in the public eye and like it. So they are more likely to come to public events.

Are any of the celebrities on your list interested in boating or the sea? Do any of them like working with youth groups?

Celebrities are no different than anyone else -- they do things because they are paid, forced or want to do it. Since you can't do the first two, you have to focus on the last.

Larry
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport