Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    jimmy f
    7.50 Bt Alarm Call Charge !!
    • 6th Mar 09, 9:01 AM
    7.50 Bt Alarm Call Charge !! 6th Mar 09 at 9:01 AM
    Hello,
    My mother was diagnosed with dementia about 1 year ago and although she looks after herself well in her own home she falls victim to various scams asking for money etc. We are on the case as much as possible but there always seems to be something.
    We are having to filter out mail to remove these sorts of things before we redirect normal post to her. It was while doing this that we noticed that she had very high phone bills and this, we found out, was because she had been calling and arranging alarm calls via BT at 7.54 each time. She has no use for this service and is purely using it because it is there and she has got into the habit. Because of her condition (loss of memory) she has sometimes asked for two in one day. Her last bill was 275.00 and about 200 of this was due to this service.
    Firstly are the company legally obliged to tell you how much the service will cost before you go ahead and book it and also is there a way ,using power of attorney which we have, of blocking this number so that my Mother cannot get through?
    I did a test call to the 100 alarm call service and they made no mention of the cost until I myself asked, surely this is not above board.
    If anyone has any ifo we would be really grateful. Thanks
    James
    PS There is no way of reasoning with Mum in a situation like this.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

250Posts Today

1,139Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Warning! Twitter's app update's outrageously reset autoplay video settings, so you eat data at speed. Full help http://t.co/42tOE1EagR RT

• RT @Harry_Bhoy: @MartinSLewis Saved my gran £323 by changing her electricity provider,and haggled her free broadband from Virgin worth £264?

• RT @OfficialChops: @MartinSLewis Hello, Rio HD is free on sky store 'buy and keep'. Today Only. You DO NOT have to have a sky movies subsc?

• Follow Martin