Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > Any suggestions for removing Irn Bru stain .... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Any suggestions for removing Irn Bru stain ....
Views: 18,350
# 1
Papillon
Old 06-02-2006, 2:25 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Any suggestions for removing Irn Bru stain ....

.......from a cream carpet??

I've tried carpet/upholstery cleaner and that Oxi stuff but no joy as yet!

I think the main problem is that it was knocked over on Sat night but not noticed until Sun morning so it had time to soak in and then dry out!

I've heard that brake fluid should help but am a bit reluctant to try it in case the carpet ends up bright orange AND smelly!

Thanks

Papillon
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Oscar
Old 06-02-2006, 2:37 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

House insurance and a new one! Sorry cant help otherwise, use of brake fluid does sound a bit scary. Just a thought... I was once told with any stain just soak with water and dab with dry towel or the like continually as long as the orange colour from the irn bru is lifting. I have tried this on immediate spills and although can be very time consuming and lots of dry towels needed can be quite effective. I'm not so sure about it working on a dried in stain though.
# 3
squeaky
Old 06-02-2006, 3:08 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Send a message via MSN to squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papillon
.......from a cream carpet??

I've tried carpet/upholstery cleaner and that Oxi stuff but no joy as yet!
Hiya

If you look in the Cleaning section of the MEGA Index sticky at the top of the Old Style forum you'll find a number of threads listed under "carpets"...

..several of those threads might help you since they cover limeade, cranberry juice, tea...
Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
The Following User Says Thank You to squeaky For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Papillon
Old 06-02-2006, 3:46 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Lovely - thanks very much
# 5
comping cat
Old 06-02-2006, 4:18 PM

Send a message via MSN to comping cat

Im not quite sure what irn bru is, but you can remove dried in fruit juices, and cola drink stains with a glycerine solution (half glycerine, half water) leave for an hour, then rinse. If there is still a stain, rub with a laundry pre wash stick, and shampoo. Any remaining stain, you can try a little methylated spirit. HTH
# 6
Spendless
Old 06-02-2006, 4:43 PM

irn bru eeek . I was once told by a friend who worked for an insurance company that it was the hardest thing to get out. Let us know if you manage it.
# 7
skystar
Old 06-02-2006, 7:17 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I knew someone once who worked in the Barr's factory and they had "special" irn-bru remover. Might be worthwhile maybe giving them a call for suggestions.
# 8
skintscotslass
Old 16-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Getting Iron Bru out of living room carpet

Hi folks

Any thoughts on how to get a huge iron bru stain out of a carpet please? I have had a search but can't find anything on the forums.

Cheers

SSL xx
# 9
Fitzio
Old 16-05-2009, 12:30 PM

No idea what would work for irn-bru. Friends of ours had some spilled on their carpet and when they told their insurance company, they immediately said it wasn't worth them sending out a cleaning company and they would just replace it!
The Following User Says Thank You to Fitzio For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Bongedone
Old 16-05-2009, 12:41 PM

A magnet ?

Sorry could not resist.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bongedone For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
rainbowsprite
Old 16-05-2009, 12:41 PM
MoneySaving Convert

It was the same with my colleague when their daughter spilt irn bru. They were told by the insurance company that it was the one stain that they could not get out of carpets.
The Following User Says Thank You to rainbowsprite For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
gunsandbanjos
Old 16-05-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowsprite View Post
It was the same with my colleague when their daughter spilt irn bru. They were told by the insurance company that it was the one stain that they could not get out of carpets.
That and lily pollen.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
Bertrand Russell
The Following User Says Thank You to gunsandbanjos For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Pink.
Old 16-05-2009, 12:50 PM

Hi skintscotslass,

Like the others I don't hold out much hope, but there are some ideas on this thread that may be worth trying:

Any suggestions for removing Irn Bru stain ....

Pink
Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the In My Home (Includes DIY), I wanna buy-it or do-it, Greenfingered MoneySaving and Old Style MoneySaving boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pink. For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
skintscotslass
Old 16-05-2009, 1:14 PM

Thanks folks. I was thinking the worst but hoping for the best. I've always taken the 'don't have it in the house' approach.

I'll give my trusty stardrops a go. The good news for me is that the carpet is not that unlike the colour of irn bru (not my choice!)

Cheers

SSL xx
# 15
larmy16
Old 16-05-2009, 3:12 PM

Did it turn a brown colour? I only ask as a friend had a similar mishap with Orangeina and she never could get the stain out. It's a cautionary tale. I guess the only way round it is to have it in those plastic cups with the pop up spout to avoid spills?

No help I know, but we tried every stain remover known to man.
Grocery Challenge 139/240 until 31/01
Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

The Following User Says Thank You to larmy16 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
david39
Old 16-05-2009, 3:21 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Why not contact the Irn Bru makers and ask them if they can suggest something?

A.G.Barr p.l.c., Westfield House, 4 Mollins Road, Westfield, Cumbernauld, G68 9HD
The Following User Says Thank You to david39 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
skintscotslass
Old 16-05-2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larmy16 View Post
Did it turn a brown colour? I only ask as a friend had a similar mishap with Orangeina and she never could get the stain out. It's a cautionary tale. I guess the only way round it is to have it in those plastic cups with the pop up spout to avoid spills?

No help I know, but we tried every stain remover known to man.
That makes sense, I bet they have the same additives/colouring.

I dont touch the stuff. I stupidly allowed DD to have a party. The LR was out of bounds, but a couple of her friends went in and spilled the irn bru and a red/pink bacardi breezer. The pink/red came out but the irn bru hasnt budged a bit. I've never seen a stain like it. Lesson learned

David39 - Barrs claim that a cleaner does shift it, I cant remember what its called, but looking at my internet research, thats not any good either. Thanks for the thought
The Following User Says Thank You to skintscotslass For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
Tabatha Kitten
Old 17-05-2009, 8:54 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Irn Bru !! Blast from the past !
I didn't think you could still get the stuff !
There used to be a place in Atherton that made it but I think its now a housing estate !
It was the only thing guaranteed to cure a hangover !
I remember something on the news years ago about someone in Scotland trying to sue them because it turned their kid orange !
No chance for your carpet !!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Tabatha Kitten For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
Butterfly Brain
Old 17-05-2009, 9:00 PM

Have you tried dry foam carpet shampoo it says on the JML one that it will get cola and red wine stains out - so might work on iron bru and as an added bonus - Wilkinsons are selling it half price which is 2.50 for the applicator and a bottle of dry foam - I bought one today.
Bargain!
The Following User Says Thank You to Butterfly Brain For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
Miss Liquorice
Old 18-05-2009, 2:26 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I think you may be stuck with an attractive orange patch... maybe just spill irn bru all over the rest of the carpet to dye it all the same colour as the stain? Lol.

At my secondary school, in the science labs we had specially treated desks, so any acids or alkalis or anything potent could be spilled on them without them having any effect, our biology teacher was delighted with them and would show off with chemicals - until he got a letter one day from the company about 6 months after they were bought, saying don't get Irn Bru on them as it eats away at the bench! It hasn't stopped me drinking the stuff, but I do think twice before subjecting my stomach to it....
Trying to MSE my live-in boyfriend!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Miss Liquorice For This Useful Post: Show me >>