PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Avoid using Gas and Electricity

The exisiting thread on this subject has become soooooooooo loooooooooooong, I thought it was time for another. Unfortunately, I've not been able to contact MIRRY (the OP of the original thread).

Please post your tips and hints here :D

Penny. x
:rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:

Comments

• pagangirl
    pagangirl Posts: 391 Forumite
    liz105 wrote: »
    Im very grateful that Im in a 1st flr flat with someone below who always has their heating on and and upstairs to insulate us!

I think the coldest our flat has been is 16 or 17 degrees before xmas first thing in the morning.

I live in a flat too - guy downstairs lives with his mum, just uses his flat for storarge/postal address for benefits, so no heat from down below, Have occupied flat next to my bedroom/bathroom wall, but living room/kitchen are on outside walls, so no heat there either. Some mornings I get up, temperature is down to 13' and it's baltic :eek:
    When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on :eek:

• seabright
    seabright Posts: 639 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We are eating Credit Crunch vegtables and pasta! I think it would only work with a thick bottomed pan.

Boil water in kettle
    Put veg or pasta in pan
    Add plenty of boiling water
    Bring back to boil and boil hard for a 10-20 seconds
    Put on lid and turn off the gas/electric
    Leave for 10-20 mins to cook, depending on veg/pasta
    Don't take the lid off!
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    In the evening I light tea-lights and candles which live on the hearth. They are reflected in the marble backing of fireplace and give out loads of cheap heat.

Good way to avoid putting fire on.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • I saw a tip in a magazine last autumn - save your hedge trimmings for kindling. So I did. Well, the builders thought it was hilarious. They recommended diesel instead. However, I had eight collapsible crates full of twigs and branches and we've had a free fire out of each one.

We also asked for our logs when the tree surgeon came to cut the conifers down at the front. They won't be ready until next year but hopefully they will save us some money too
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    In bitterly cold weather like we've got at the moment, close the curtains in unused rooms during the day, as well as at night. Even with double-glazing you'll be surprised how much cold you shut out. So even if you've turned your heating thermostat down, what heat you do get will stay in the room and not disappear through the glass.
  • p00
    p00 Posts: 824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We put a laminate floor in the lounge last year with a new skirting on top. I knew it would make the room feel a bit cooler but our house is usually warm anyway, but never the lounge since the floor.

Anyway I pulled the tv forward to sort out the cables and found a massive draft coming under the new skirting which you wouldnt get if you has a carpet. Out came the sealer gun and I put some along the skirting boards and hey presto the lounge is now much warmer with the heating turned down a couple of degrees.

So check for draughts in the places you wouldnt normally check.

xxp00
  • Sirbendy
    Sirbendy Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Post
    too right. We have some rooms with laminate flooring - hellishly cold. I don't have any mastic to hand, but I taped round the floor-skirting join with black electricians tape (ugly but cheap)..much better.

This house has put me RIGHT off laminate floors - only 2 weeks left though..the new flat only has 2 laminated rooms (kitchen and..erm..one onther that I forget..). carpets in bedrooms - bliss!
  • she_grinch
    she_grinch Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    I have just replaced all my knackered old carpet that I inherited 4 years ago in this house with laminate flooring and if I had nuts they would be frozen off by now!!!!!!
    NEVER AGAIN great to keep clean, lighter,brighter rooms now but absolutely useless to keep warm and I have bought a big rug for our feet!!!!!
    Pucker up and kiss it Whoville! - The Grinch:kiss:
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    I know a lot of people think carpets in bathrooms are unhygienic but they're certainly more warm and comforting to bare feet when you have to trot to the loo in the middle of the night when the heating is switched off. Laminate might be the latest fashion but every laminated room I've ever visited in winter seems to be colder than a carpeted one and leaves me with freezing feet.
  • she_grinch wrote: »
    I have just replaced all my knackered old carpet that I inherited 4 years ago in this house with laminate flooring and if I had nuts they would be frozen off by now!!!!!!
    NEVER AGAIN great to keep clean, lighter,brighter rooms now but absolutely useless to keep warm and I have bought a big rug for our feet!!!!!

We had laminate in here when we moved in and it was cold but we replaced it with real wood and it's fine.Infact the whole of the ground floor is wood flooring.We do have a huge rug down in the living room,just for comfort but otherwise it's great.
    Our kitchen floor is natural stone slabs,now that is cold but it looks so lovely I'd never change it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure