🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Granite floor tiles in a Bathroom??

Options
Hello,

We are in the process of getting a new bathroom and wanted to splash out (!) on granite floor tiles.

Has anyone any experience of granite as floor tiles, please?

A mate has granite worktops in their kitchen and says they constantly need cleaning and is not sure they would have them again

Are floor tiles the same??
We have 2 young boys, so there will always be water on the floor! Plus they sit on the floor when we all get up in a morning, so granite may be too cold as well??

I have seen on here about quartz glitter tiles - does anyone know if these are the same??

We are having a white suite and gloss white furniture, plus gloss white tiles, so we wanted to splash out on the Black Galaxy Granite floor tiles to add a bit of luxury to the room (only going to do the bathroom once!!)

I have seen Black Galaxy Granite in B&Q for £60 a sq mtr (Bathroom showroom where we first saw them was £95 a sq mtr), but the ones in B&Q on display were not as shiny (unless they had not been coated - I should have asked!)

Sorry for ranting on!!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• andyhop
    andyhop Posts: 1,996 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Granite and white gloss looks fantastic,heres one we did for a customer £125per sqm
    IMGP0731.JPG
    I have fitted granite from ebay for another customer where he paid less than £21per sqm,all calibrated and cut/bevelled edges,was cheaper chinnese but for the money was good
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
  • mallymal
    mallymal Posts: 216 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    IMHO granite will be ice cold under foot, when you get out the bath, or go for a pee in the night with bare feet.

I/m also not a fan at all of tiles of nay type on a suspended wooden floor (i assume your talking 1st floor bathroom). Despite all the fancy sub floors, flexible adhesives etc on the market, I just worry about the amount by which a timber subloor expands & contracts.

My sis had ceramic tiles on her bathroom floor, laid by a pro, and they have moved a thou.

Your choise of course, but just my 5 penneth :rolleyes:
  • Stone_Gazer
    Options
    ANDYHOP....Star Galaxy does NOT come from China :confused:

China has no star galaxy/absolute or any other INDIAN stone quarry! What they do have is cheap chinese granite and IMPORTED Granite ie. from India.

No wonder everyone i speak to hates supposed chinese granite.

Emerald Pearl...Nice color tiles.....so...£125 was this for tiles or installation?

Company i work for sell these at £35 per m2 and there from Norway!

Sorry Phague,

Galaxy tiles will be fine for the Bathroom and yes will look good with white.
    Quartz will come in alot more expensive! ie. Double
    Cold!!! Any tile would be called mate!
  • bagby
    bagby Posts: 828 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    my sister bought some flooring which which was very high shine black with silver flecks in (looked like the picture shown) but it was like the laminate flooring - it looks fantastic and they arent as cold as tiles. I had tiles on my kitchen floor and boy was it cold underfoot.
  • Lotsachangeplease
    Options
    Hi,

You'll be fine with those.

The Granite House in Bicester supply lots of the shops with granite tiles, but will also sell them to the end user at trade prices. Last known price for star galaxy was £22.60+VAT per m2. The tiles are fully calibrated and of a very high quality.

Hope that helps
  • olias
    olias Posts: 3,588 Forumite
    Options
    You could lay that electric mat type underfloor heating under the tiles, I believe that's what it's designed for.

Olias
  • Auntie-Dolly
    Auntie-Dolly Posts: 1,008 Forumite
    Options
    They would be cold underfoot & I'd be worried about them becoming slippery when wet.
  • whitts
    whitts Posts: 328 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had granite tiles put down last year in my kitchen, bathroom,cloackroom ect went for star galaxy, looks stunning we had underfloor heating put down to take the chill off, which is great, i was concerned about slipping but has not happened yet but we have slippers on around the house(non slip soles!)

Would do it again, the main issue was understanding all the different types and colours!
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,893 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    andyhop wrote: »
    Granite and white gloss looks fantastic,heres one we did for a customer £125per sqm
    IMGP0731.JPG
    I have fitted granite from ebay for another customer where he paid less than £21per sqm,all calibrated and cut/bevelled edges,was cheaper chinnese but for the money was good

Did they pick all their white tiles to be of completely random sizes on purpose? there's barely one the same :confused:
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • paintpot
    paintpot Posts: 764 Forumite
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    Did they pick all their white tiles to be of completely random sizes on purpose? there's barely one the same :confused:

I wondered that. It looks odd. Why has the tile to the right of the toilet been cut when the one behind the toilet is a whole tile for example :confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport