IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Selling/getting rid of >100 cd singles
Closed Thread
Views: 13,269
# 1
molit
Old 03-01-2009, 5:25 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Selling/getting rid of >100 cd singles

Hi,

Having a clearout, and I have too many cd singles - never listen to them, and want more space. Dont want to just chuck them in the bin. None of them are rare, basically chart stuff from the last 10-15 years.

From a quick look on ebay, indiually they are not going to sell for more than pennies, and I havent got the time or patiewnce to list them all on ebay individually.

Was wondering whether anyone had any ideas - I could bundle them up into groups of 5, but I cant imagine these selling miuch better. Am I better just taking them to a car boot sale, or donating them to a charity shop?

Would welcome the collective wisdom from those one here, as although I ahve some expericen of ebay, I think most people have more.

Cheers all

BTW if you want to scare youself, add up how much you have spent on things like cds or cd singles over the past few years. Reckon my mortgage would be almost paid off by now if I had been more sensible
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to molit For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
mnt99york
Old 03-01-2009, 5:31 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I sell CD singles on ebay and do quite well from it.

I get my stock off ebay too, from people selling off job lots like yours.

Selling them in lots of 5 is a waste of time - you can't get the titles into the listing name so nobody finds them.

The best way would be to sell them either individually or as one job lot - but don't expect mega bucks. For 100 singles, depending on the titles, I wouldn't pay more than 20-25 including postage.

Dance singles are worth a lot more than general pop stuff, because dance acts tended not to release albums so the singles are the only way to get the tracks.

As for how much I spent on CD singles back in the day, I dread to think. I've got a collection of over 4,000 all bought at between 2 and 4 over a space of 15 years! I'd never part with my collection though, I love them and I'm still adding to it!
The Following User Says Thank You to mnt99york For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
JCS1
Old 03-01-2009, 7:14 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

see if worth anything on magpie music: http://www.musicmagpie.co.uk/

and don't forget amazon marketplace as free to list.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JCS1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
chja
Old 03-01-2009, 7:38 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Sell them as a bundle of 100 - mention a few of the more memorable ones, but otherwise call it a lucky dip. Start at 99p, but make sure you get your postage cost right.

I imagine there would be a fair bit of interest (post the listing ref- i'd like a look myself )
The Following User Says Thank You to chja For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
molit
Old 04-01-2009, 12:58 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

well listed them all on ebay so will wait and see - link for anyone who is interested
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=280299475422

Also, thanks to all for your advice
No longer an accidental landlord, still a wannabe millionaire

Last edited by molit; 04-01-2009 at 1:18 PM. Reason: forgot to thank posters
# 6
butterfly72
Old 04-01-2009, 1:40 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I'm the same, I've got 100s of CD singles and albums. I've listed and sold loads of the albums and a few singles on amazon. Others that where only selling for a very low amount on amazon, I sold at a car boot for 1 each. I got rid of loads! Most of mine are alternative and indie and a few rare ones at that. Also got a job lot of rare vinyl and was only offered 100 for them all despite them selling for 20/30 a piece! I turned them down but now have to sell them individually. I'm gonna keep posting them on amazon and have another carboot in the summer. That music magpie don't seem to want any of them.

I was also thinking of listing them all and putting an add for a job lot on Gumtree. any other ideas?
Increasing my house deposit
Increasing my pension
Horse fund: 8/8K - horse hunting starts Sept 13
The Following User Says Thank You to butterfly72 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
soolin
Old 04-01-2009, 3:34 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

For rarer ones Amazon is always worth a lot, I've sold some really obscure ones there that are quite dreadful (i'm obviously getting old!) for upwards of 20.
I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
New to Forum? Guide
The Following User Says Thank You to soolin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
2009ismyyear
Old 04-01-2009, 3:38 PM
MoneySaving Convert

And talking of how much you might have spent on CDs etc - I've just been in the loft and 'found' all my books from Uni and when I was teaching - there are now 70+ books sitting beside me to be listed on amazon - must have cost me a fortune! But seen as they're not going to be used again I'm hoping to claw back a bit of that fortune by reselling them!

Last edited by 2009ismyyear; 04-01-2009 at 3:39 PM. Reason: typos
# 9
molit
Old 04-01-2009, 3:55 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

managed to get quite a bit fore my text books oj amazon - in general, there were a couple which didnt sell, but some did veuy well - far better to sell boooks like that on amazon than ebay
# 10
chja
Old 04-01-2009, 4:15 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Nice one - you'r just down the road from me !
# 11
Christina F
Old 04-01-2009, 8:14 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Has anyone had any experience of selling CDS via Music Magpie?
# 12
molit
Old 04-01-2009, 8:26 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

yep - used them once - personally I dont think that its worth it - each album gets at most realistically 25p, and they dont take popular albums. I got about 2 for 7 albums, which got rid of them, but I think for the rest I'll either sdrip them onto ebay, or do a car boot sale with them at 50p each - I think I'd make more in eitehr case
No longer an accidental landlord, still a wannabe millionaire
The Following User Says Thank You to molit For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Fedupagain
Old 16-06-2011, 9:44 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Just seen this thread and I know I am well out of date on this but as no-one seemed to mention this I thought it would be prudent to add in case someone else finds this thread like I did.

Music Magpie do not take CD singles and now pay 30p an album but will pay much higher for some more unusual titles. I sold one for 2.50 alone and generally get 30 for a bulk lot at a time.
# 14
soolin
Old 16-06-2011, 8:01 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

AS this is such an old thread I will close it to avoid confusion
I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
New to Forum? Guide
Closed Thread