Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > How long does a butternut squash keep? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How long does a butternut squash keep?
Views: 27,408
# 1
AlwaysHappy
Old 06-12-2008, 6:46 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default How long does a butternut squash keep?

Yikes! Have just found a butternut squash in my garage which got delivered in my vegetable box - perhaps 6 weeks ago. It still looks the same, will it be ok or should I be throwing it out and slapping my wrist for being so wasteful?
I'd left it to one side as I didn't know what to do with it, so again, ideas would be great. Many thanks.
Sealed pot challenge member 205
733.70 2014
365 in 365 days member 29 10/365

I'm not a failure if I don't make it, I'm a success because I :tried!
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Zazen999
Old 06-12-2008, 6:50 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Properly hardened they will keep until the Spring.

Halve it, take out the seeds and fluffy bits, peel it and slice it [so that the outside bit is about an inch thick], and roast in oil with paprika. Lovely.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zazen999 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
thriftlady
Old 06-12-2008, 7:31 PM

You will know if it has gone off because it will have soft, discoloured patches on it. As Zazen says it will keep for months especially somewhere cool like a garage. All winter squashes (pumpkin, butternut etc) keep really well
The Following User Says Thank You to thriftlady For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
champys
Old 06-12-2008, 8:00 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Yes they should last for months in a cool spot - as long as the temperature remains above zero/

As for what to do with it, some of the easiest dishes to use it in are soup or risotto. Alternatively, cut it in half (if it is not too big), spread olive oil and crushed garlic on the cut sides and bake cut side down in the oven to serve as a side dish. Or cut into chunks and use in mixed roast winter veg.
The Following User Says Thank You to champys For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
PixiePie
Old 06-12-2008, 10:20 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I had one in our larder for about 4 months - cooked it (just simply roasted it) and it was yum. They seem to keep forever in a nice cool dark place

We tend to have it weekly and do the following with ours:

Make soup (from raw ie not roast first) (1 squash, 2 leeks, 2 carrots, 2litres stock, cumin and coriander - simmer for about 1 hour (we like ours really squishy, probably could get away with 35 mins if you chunk small), bung in a tablespoon of red lentils 30 mins before the end, then cool for 10 mins and blend) (we love this with seedy bready and a dash of chipotle tabasco sauce on top)

Cut into chunks (skin on) and roast then:
Have as a side dish with chicken thighs or something
Have as a side dish, but with extra roast veg (eg onions, leeks, carrots etc)

Halve and roast until soft, scoop out, mix with cous cous and herbs, and put back in the shell, bake with some cheese on top (sometimes go all exotic and fry off some onions and garlic and mix in too! Or use up any left over meat by mixing it in as well)

Make into mash (roast then mash up)

Put chunks on kebabs

Umm, that's about all I can think of from the top of my head - but I'm knackered...will have another think
Do not feed the trolls please.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PixiePie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Greatexpectations
Old 07-12-2008, 12:31 AM
MoneySaving Convert

ooh this has just reminded me that I still have a butternut squash in the cupboard that has been there more weeks than I can remember - thanks all for the advice and recipe ideas - I won't throw it out now but will hopefully make something tasty instead.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greatexpectations For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
SpoonyOh
Old 07-12-2008, 1:30 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I kept one in my fridge for three weeks, then parboiled and mashed it for my baby - he quite liked it and it tasted good. The rest went in the freezer for future consumption. My pumpkin didn't fare so well outside of the fridge sadly.....
The Following User Says Thank You to SpoonyOh For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
fishing-girl
Old 07-12-2008, 11:48 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

i had one in the fridge for 6 months, my husband eventually painted a face on it and a note that said EAT ME.it was still fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to fishing-girl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
MRSTITTLEMOUSE
Old 07-12-2008, 12:04 PM

I keep my veg outside in a shaded garden shed.Stuff keeps for ages in here.I've just used a squash I bought in April.It was still perfect and tasted lovely.
The Following User Says Thank You to MRSTITTLEMOUSE For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
mummysaver
Old 07-12-2008, 12:08 PM

They keep for ages and ages. I cut mine in half, scoop out the seeds, plop on a bit of oil, garlic powder and paprika and roast, then scoop out the flesh (much easier than peeling them). They make great soup, mash, curry with chick peas, with bacon in a risotto.

Don't forget to wash off the seeds, pop them on a baking tray, sprinkle with salt, and chilli if you like, and bung in the oven as it cools down, nice toasted seeds to go with a glass of wine!
The Following User Says Thank You to mummysaver For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Mander
Old 07-12-2008, 2:20 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I'm sure it will be fine--they keep for months in a cool place. I never peel them first before cooking. I tried it once, following a recipe, and it was just too hard! I always cut them in half and put them cut side down in a baking dish with a little water in the bottom, and bake until the skin is turning brown and the flesh is soft.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mander For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
AlwaysHappy
Old 07-12-2008, 5:21 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks so much for all the replies, it doesn't look as if its changed texture so looks like thats at least one more meal taken care of!!
# 13
newlywed
Old 08-12-2008, 9:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixiePie View Post
Make soup (from raw ie not roast first) (1 squash, 2 leeks, 2 carrots, 2litres stock, cumin and coriander - simmer for about 1 hour (we like ours really squishy, probably could get away with 35 mins if you chunk small), bung in a tablespoon of red lentils 30 mins before the end, then cool for 10 mins and blend) (we love this with seedy bready and a dash of chipotle tabasco sauce on top)
sounds yum. Just decided what to do with the bnut squash that's been sat for 3 weeks in the kitchen
Grocery Challenge August = 220 (in my dreams!!)
DMP support thread (member #32)

# 14
looktothefuture
Old 08-12-2008, 10:35 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I've grown up on all sorts of squash and from experience, they can keep for up to 4 months if they are kept in a cold and dark place.

I do so many different dishes with butternut squash - I do soup, mash, rissotto, roasted squash - and loads loads more!
# 15
AlwaysHappy
Old 17-01-2011, 8:30 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default How long does a butternut squash last?

I bought a butternut squash in December (when they were on offer at aldi for 69p), totally forgot about it until came across it in the cupboard just now. Looks ok, but don't want to roast it, waste the electricity and it be off - how can i tell if its ok?
Many thanks Always Happy.
733.70 2014

# 16
diluvsdiscounts
Old 17-01-2011, 8:36 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I have made a butternut squash rissotto tonight with my last one that I grew in the summer.
I'm certain yours won't be off.
Happiness is a journey,not a destination.

Weight loss 18.5lb/16.5lb
The Following User Says Thank You to diluvsdiscounts For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
ifonlyitwaseasier
Old 17-01-2011, 8:36 PM

so long as it's not "squashable" you'll be fine
Nonny mouse and Proud!!
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
!!
Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

The Following User Says Thank You to ifonlyitwaseasier For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
sarahsarah
Old 17-01-2011, 8:39 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

If it goes off it will just be the skin that goes off first, or a bit of mould will grow on the nobbly bit... Even when it does this its still usually firm inside!

If you wanted to be sure though couldn't you cut in half and roast like that?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsarah For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
meritaten
Old 17-01-2011, 8:42 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

you would be able to tell by the skin! if it looks ok on the outside its fine inside! honestly hun, I have used them after months of storage and they have been perfectly edible.
There sure are a lot of laws in this country - but there aint much Justice!!!
(Dean Koontz - One Door Away From Heaven)
# 20
AlwaysHappy
Old 17-01-2011, 8:42 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

crikey guys, thanks for the amazing quick replies, am off to shove it in the oven now ...... yum yum (hopefully!).
733.70 2014

The Following User Says Thank You to AlwaysHappy For This Useful Post: Show me >>