Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    johanne
    Taking in a student as a lodger - advice please!
    • 28th Dec 05, 8:28 PM
    Taking in a student as a lodger - advice please! 28th Dec 05 at 8:28 PM
    Hiya,

I have a really good mate who is a student... i need someone to help me with the rent and it seems ideal for him to move in as we get on really well and have done for 6 years weve known each other and he needs somewhere to live.. now my questions are as follows:

1/ I know hed be exempt from paying council tax.. SO would i still get my 25% discount for being the only council tax paying person in the house?

2/Does 265 PCM sound fair for:

Medium sized bedroom - a double supposedly
    Use of kitchen/bathroom/2 living rooms (im going to convert my dining room into 2nd sitting room when i get a lodger)
    Gas
    Electric
    Water rates
    dial up internet
    Basic cable tv
    Use of landline phone

Also have a takeaway and off licence on the bottom of the road.. aswell as a bus stop for a main bus route into the city centre and incidently the same bus he needs to get to go to his mums house!

(Just a side note ... my rent alone is 425 a month for a 2 bed terrace house....because i live in liverpool and rent here is high because of the capital of culture 2008 thing! Including council tax i pay out 640 on basic bills alone each month so it isnt even half my outgoings)

3/ Is there anything else financially i have to consider about taking in a lodger? Especially a student? (only ask cos of the whole council tax situation)
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,584Posts Today

6,120Users online

Martin's Twitter