Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Budgeting & Bank Accounts > Can my bank close my account without telling me?? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Can my bank close my account without telling me??
Closed Thread
Views: 7,204
# 1
MrsPitcher2b
Old 14-11-2008, 8:26 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Can my bank close my account without telling me??

Hello all,

A few months ago i switched bank from barclays to another, i still wanted to keep the barclays one open though just in case!

About a month agho i got a letter from my new bank saying the switch is complete and if i wanted them to close my old account all i had to do was sign the bit of paper they provided and send it back to them. I DIDNT DO THAT!

I wanted to keep it open so i left it, a few weeks ago i got a letter from baerclays sayign that under blah blah terms of the banks agreement they can ask me for my money to clear the overdraft at any time (it was about 15 in the minus because of a failed direct debit which didnt transfer when i switched accounts) I just thought they was asking for this as i dont have an overdraft facility and they were just clearing up their accounts with the current economic state etc.

Today i went to a cash machine and checked my balance, to see if money i have transfered from paypal had cleared - When i typed in my pin code the machine said 'Request rejected by your card provider' or something like that.

I havent had a letter from barclays to say my aco!!!! is closed, nor did i ask for it to be closed, can they close it without my permission?

What will happen to my paypal money.?!
BCT:£16,500 £0 HFC CURRYS: £520 £0 HFC PC WORLD: £800 £0 ARGOS CARD: £795 £0 ADDITIONS DIRECT: £625 £0 NATIONWIDE CC: £1560 £0 VIRGIN CC: £1500 £0
# 2
richard9991
Old 14-11-2008, 8:51 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

they have prob blocked your card because of unauthorised borrowing ie bounced dd
# 3
Heng Leng
Old 14-11-2008, 9:19 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

They can close it, as you can when they want - they normally give 30 days notice.
The message on the machine suggests you card (and possibly account) have been closed.

Why don't you move your paypal money into your new account, and sort it out without loosing any money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPitcher2b View Post
Hello all,

A few months ago i switched bank from barclays to another, i still wanted to keep the barclays one open though just in case!

About a month agho i got a letter from my new bank saying the switch is complete and if i wanted them to close my old account all i had to do was sign the bit of paper they provided and send it back to them. I DIDNT DO THAT!

I wanted to keep it open so i left it, a few weeks ago i got a letter from baerclays sayign that under blah blah terms of the banks agreement they can ask me for my money to clear the overdraft at any time (it was about 15 in the minus because of a failed direct debit which didnt transfer when i switched accounts) I just thought they was asking for this as i dont have an overdraft facility and they were just clearing up their accounts with the current economic state etc.

Today i went to a cash machine and checked my balance, to see if money i have transfered from paypal had cleared - When i typed in my pin code the machine said 'Request rejected by your card provider' or something like that.

I havent had a letter from barclays to say my aco!!!! is closed, nor did i ask for it to be closed, can they close it without my permission?

What will happen to my paypal money.?!
# 4
MrsPitcher2b
Old 14-11-2008, 11:20 AM
MoneySaving Convert

The problem is i have already transfered the money from paypal to my account. i didnt know it was shut/may be shut - what will happen to that money? Will it come back to my paypal account?
BCT:£16,500 £0 HFC CURRYS: £520 £0 HFC PC WORLD: £800 £0 ARGOS CARD: £795 £0 ADDITIONS DIRECT: £625 £0 NATIONWIDE CC: £1560 £0 VIRGIN CC: £1500 £0
# 5
sutton111
Old 14-11-2008, 11:24 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

have you rang Barclays and checked if it is closed? you can retervie money from a closed account, my parents got money back after closing there co-op account after argos did a refund.
# 6
MrsPitcher2b
Old 14-11-2008, 1:11 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I have just rang barclays, and the account isnt shut but my branch has put a mark on the card, so i cant use it - but they wont tell me why unless i go down to the bank with ID

Considering i now live over an hour away from the branch i opened the account with and work 5 days a week 8 til 6 i seriously doubt i can do that - but they wont put me through to the branch as it is against policy.
# 7
DCFC79
Old 14-11-2008, 1:13 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Only way i can see you sorting it out is to leave work a bit early and go to the bank
# 8
TotallyBroke
Old 14-11-2008, 1:14 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

You should be able to go to any Barclays branch not just the one that you opened the account with. Most are open until 12 on Saturdays. One in West London is open until 5.30 on a saturday. Try ringing up and asking for opening times in your area.
# 9
MrsPitcher2b
Old 14-11-2008, 1:14 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Now i know why i left barclays in the first place!!!!!

I now have to take time off work to go and sort out something that no one can even tell me what it is!!!
# 10
Crap_with_money.com
Old 14-11-2008, 1:15 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Could you maybe write to them? Or ask them to put it in writing to you?

I think with some accounts you have to have a certain amount of money going into your account every month in order to keep it open - that was defo the case when my bro went travelling, as he added me as a second person on the account so I could transfer money every month for him.

xx
# 11
olly300
Old 14-11-2008, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crap_with_money.com View Post
Could you maybe write to them? Or ask them to put it in writing to you?
I agree with you. Put it in writing and send it via recorded delivery so they can't claim to have lost it. You can go to the post office on Saturday and do this.
# 12
abbynelson28
Old 02-12-2008, 4:27 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Yes as a banker barclays have right to close your account that too with prior notice. For your card they must have blocked it. try sorting out issue with the help of your attorney.

----------------------------------
Abby Nelson
merchant services

Last edited by abbynelson28; 06-12-2008 at 6:46 PM.
# 13
robin banks
Old 02-12-2008, 4:33 PM

All accounts can be closed by a bank, the main reason is persistant and unauthorised borrowing, bounced dd's etc.
# 14
Extant
Old 02-12-2008, 7:29 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbynelson28 View Post
Yes as a banker barclays have right to close your account that too with prior notice. For your card they must have blocked it. try sorting out issue with the help of your attorney.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin banks View Post
All accounts can be closed by a bank, the main reason is persistant and unauthorised borrowing, bounced dd's etc.
True. But we don't close accounts without giving notice unless there is "abnormal" behaviour, which amounts to either fraud or smacking our staff about.

If you're in debt problems, your account will first be referred off to Consumer Finance Debt Management, which is our collections/recoveries department. They then have set processes, but they don't go straight to closing the account - the typical process will be a termination of facilities letter (stopping card, cheque, asking for their return) and then a closure letter after that if the debt still isn't repaid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crap_with_money.com View Post
I think with some accounts you have to have a certain amount of money going into your account every month in order to keep it open - that was defo the case when my bro went travelling, as he added me as a second person on the account so I could transfer money every month for him.
None of the Barclays current accounts require a minimum monthly credit.

Quote:
I now have to take time off work to go and sort out something that no one can even tell me what it is!!!
Retail bank customer relations, 0800 282390. Call them and explain the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyBroke View Post
You should be able to go to any Barclays branch not just the one that you opened the account with. Most are open until 12 on Saturdays. One in West London is open until 5.30 on a saturday. Try ringing up and asking for opening times in your area.
Quote:
Considering i now live over an hour away from the branch i opened the account with and work 5 days a week 8 til 6 i seriously doubt i can do that - but they wont put me through to the branch as it is against policy.
True, you can go to any branch. They all have access to the same information.

Branch locator, including opening times: http://www.multimap.com/clients/plac...lient=barclays

Coincidentally, the branch on Regent Street used to open on a Sunday. Don't know if it still does.

Quote:
The problem is i have already transfered the money from paypal to my account. i didnt know it was shut/may be shut - what will happen to that money? Will it come back to my paypal account?
For reference, such payments are usually returned to the payee by the same system they arrived.
What would William Shatner do?
Closed Thread