Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    MrsPitcher2b
    Can my bank close my account without telling me??
    • 14th Nov 08, 8:26 AM
    Can my bank close my account without telling me?? 14th Nov 08 at 8:26 AM
    Hello all,

A few months ago i switched bank from barclays to another, i still wanted to keep the barclays one open though just in case!

About a month agho i got a letter from my new bank saying the switch is complete and if i wanted them to close my old account all i had to do was sign the bit of paper they provided and send it back to them. I DIDNT DO THAT!

I wanted to keep it open so i left it, a few weeks ago i got a letter from baerclays sayign that under blah blah terms of the banks agreement they can ask me for my money to clear the overdraft at any time (it was about 15 in the minus because of a failed direct debit which didnt transfer when i switched accounts) I just thought they was asking for this as i dont have an overdraft facility and they were just clearing up their accounts with the current economic state etc.

Today i went to a cash machine and checked my balance, to see if money i have transfered from paypal had cleared - When i typed in my pin code the machine said 'Request rejected by your card provider' or something like that.

I havent had a letter from barclays to say my aco!!!! is closed, nor did i ask for it to be closed, can they close it without my permission?

What will happen to my paypal money.?!
    BCT:16,500 0 HFC CURRYS: 520 0 HFC PC WORLD: 800 0 ARGOS CARD: 795 0 ADDITIONS DIRECT: 625 0 NATIONWIDE CC: 1560 0 VIRGIN CC: 1500 0
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

161Posts Today

2,631Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Disgraceful upsell on "The Bank" on BBC2. Young woman goes in for £1,500 loan gets sold £3,000 more. A BANK'S JOB IS TO SELL NOT ADVISE!

• Facebook's the new eBay - 27 tricks on flogging stuff for FREE... http://t.co/E9jppI9cn2

• How many times have you (or your household) switched energy provider in the last 5 years? PLEASE VOTE... http://t.co/UIUfLij3Zl

• Follow Martin