Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Debt-Free Wannabe > How do I cancel my Creditexpert free trial? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How do I cancel my Creditexpert free trial?
Views: 192,230
# 1
Chris120A
Old 26-12-2005, 9:49 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default How do I cancel my Creditexpert free trial?

I followed Martin's advice to get a free credit report from here:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi...23650,#finding

Not only have they started charging £4.99 to get your credit score (you can still view your report for free), but I seem to be unable to cancel my free trial! Anyone used creditexpert.co.uk and successfully cancelled? I can't find a "cancel my trial" button, page or form anywhere on their site!
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris120A For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
innovate
Old 26-12-2005, 10:12 PM
PPR
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

You can call them to cancel on 0800 656 9000 (Mon-Fr 9am-6pm, Sat 9am-1pm) . When I cancelled, there was even a special option (3) to cancel, and no questions were asked.

You said they started charging £4.99 for your credit score? They can only charge you the £4.99 if you have asked for your credit score, so if you did ask them, you will have agreed to some T&Cs related to the credit score. Sorry, don't know how you get out of this, i never asked for my credit score.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to innovate For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
K9cuddles
Old 26-12-2005, 10:15 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I think you can email them too.. but I phoned too. It works out to pay monthly and get reports every 24 hours if you want.. not sure you'd want to keep on tabs of it that much tho!!!
# 4
Chris120A
Old 26-12-2005, 10:38 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovate
YYou said they started charging £4.99 for your credit score? They can only charge you the £4.99 if you have asked for your credit score, so if you did ask them, you will have agreed to some T&Cs related to the credit score. Sorry, don't know how you get out of this, i never asked for my credit score.
Yes, you have to check a box, saying "charge £4.99 to my card" if you want a credit score calculated too. According to the article, you can get both a credit report and credit score by signing up for the free trial.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris120A For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
innovate
Old 27-12-2005, 7:53 AM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris120A
According to the article, you can get both a credit report and credit score by signing up for the free trial.
You may have overlooked that Martin says "And don’t order the add-on ‘credit score/rating’ services as they’re not refundable" and "Never be fooled into thinking this [the credit score] has a solid meaning with individual lenders though."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to innovate For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Chris120A
Old 28-12-2005, 12:24 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I have e-mailed them at CustomerService@CreditExpert.co.uk , with the subject header "Cancelled Membership", and giving them my username and password, telling them I would like to cancel. Do you think this will work? I tried the phone number, and was kept on hold for 15 minutes, I would have waited longer, but I have to go out in a bit.
# 7
dolia
Old 15-09-2009, 3:51 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I just called the number above to cancel my service: it took less than a minute.
The only info they needed was name, address, date of birth, mother's maiden name and they also asked if I had any questions. (ie, reason for leaving). My mobile network charged me about 70p for the call.

Sent me a confirmation email automatically, stating that I could renew the service at any time by using the same pins and details (don't know whether they charge from the outset - assume so), and that they would send me a confirmation email on the last day of my service, since the results can be viewed 30 days after last payment.

Absolutely hassle free.
# 8
debt_obsessed
Old 15-09-2009, 4:43 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I cancelled mine via email as I too was on hold for about 10-15 minutes. I received a confirmation email to say it was cancelled about 1-2 days later.
# 9
jatos
Old 12-12-2009, 12:20 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris120A View Post
I have e-mailed them at CustomerService@CreditExpert.co.uk , with the subject header "Cancelled Membership", and giving them my username and password, telling them I would like to cancel. Do you think this will work? I tried the phone number, and was kept on hold for 15 minutes, I would have waited longer, but I have to go out in a bit.
:S

Never send your password via email, seriously!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jatos For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
dazz7400
Old 16-04-2010, 8:16 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I just tried to cancel my membership with them by email. Must not be an option now, as i got the following automated response :

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THIS IS AN AUTOMATED RESPONSE. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL.

RE: Your cancellation Request

If you would like to cancel your membership, please call us on free phone 0800 656 9000.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am until 6pm and Saturday 9am until 1pm. The lines can be very busy so you may wish to avoid the peak times of 10am to 11am and 12pm to 2pm on weekdays.

WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW BEFORE YOU DECIDE TO CANCEL:

* We receive regular updates from lenders, so it is likely that your credit report will change. As a member of CreditExpert, you can check your report as often as you like.

* While you are a member we will also send you alerts to tell you when your credit report changes significantly.

* You can easily check your report before you apply for credit, to make sure everything is up to date.

* If you have a specific question about your credit report, please use this form: Website address deleted as I'm a new user. We will reply by e-mail as soon as possible.

FURTHER INFORMATION:

And remember, if you do cancel your membership, you can easily rejoin Credit Expert any time you need us.

If you are unable to call the free phone number, please call us on 0115 935 6700.

This is an automated response. Please do not reply to this email.
RBS Overdraft - £700
Vodafone - £509
Orange - £516.39
Total Due
£1725.39
# 11
drewdrop
Old 17-04-2010, 6:35 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi, it's the same with equifax, you need to ring them to cancel trial, I just had to ring Equifax again as they still billed me for another month, sorted easily though. £2 stat reports for me from now on ( not that I have a choice as had free trials with both Experian & Equifax)
DEBT FREE 27th MAY 2010
Paid off - o/d £2750, loan £23000 (11 mts early), CC @ £14000

# 12
Lottebear
Old 17-04-2010, 8:04 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

We have problems cancelling in the end OH went through to sales to speak to someone and they did it over the phone, the line to cancel was always busy!
Competition Wins 2013 - Caribbean Sauce, Kleenex Cup, 48 bags of Crisps.

Best Wins ever - Honeymoon worth 4.5k - Hoilday to Antigua worth 2k - Afternoon Tea - £250 Toys
# 13
keraunoscopia
Old 15-05-2010, 1:14 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Credit "Expert"

Amazing thing just happened. I called Credit Expert to cancel my account after months of attempting to get the information on my credit record correct. The guy on the phone asked if there was any particular reason I wanted to cancel and I said I had given up all hope of correcting my record. He asked me what the problem was and I explained that my account information was missing despite exhastively updating my last 11 addresses. Something pedantic was incorrect- like having a house number instead of a flat number... He said he would actually sort it out for me and it should be up to date tomorrow. Time will only tell...

But in answer to your question. You can call them on 0800 656 9000 and press 4 to cancel.... or sort something out that you've been trying to sort out for ages. They are about the most annoying company I've ever come across but unfortunately they almost have a bit credit record monopoly going on
The Following User Says Thank You to keraunoscopia For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
La escocesa
Old 15-05-2010, 1:19 PM

You can also cancel at the same time as having them correct something - you'll still be able to log on until the end of your current month and check that they've sorted whatever they said they would.

I was on hold for about 15 mins but it's freephone so just put it on speaker and carried on with whatever I was doing...

HTH
Aiming to clear £15k by 06/04/2015...
# 15
primecut
Old 18-06-2010, 6:38 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Cancelling payment to creditexpert

People are having difficulty terminating payments to this company as the only way to do it is to ring them and the voice on the other end says 'they are very busy' or words to that effect.

The best way to stop payments if you are paying by debit card is to ring the your bank and request a new debit card.

Hope this is useful.
# 16
PNPSUKNET
Old 18-06-2010, 8:08 PM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by primecut View Post
People are having difficulty terminating payments to this company as the only way to do it is to ring them and the voice on the other end says 'they are very busy' or words to that effect.

The best way to stop payments if you are paying by debit card is to ring the your bank and request a new debit card.

Hope this is useful.
No it wont as its continues auth
The Following User Says Thank You to PNPSUKNET For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
sadkate
Old 12-09-2010, 2:46 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Email just prompts instructions to phone

I've just tried emailing to cancel but all I got was a reply instructing me to phone them (although I can't because their lines are closed on a Sunday).

My payment is made via a credit card: is there no way to cancel payments to them?

If this was a Direct Debit I'd just cancel it and wait for them to take action.
# 18
fermi
Old 12-09-2010, 2:55 PM

Easiest way is to just ring the tommorow on 0800 561 0083.

They will cancel it there and then and send you an email to confirm cancellation. Make sure you have your report/customer ref no. to hand.
I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Bankruptcy, Credit Cards, Loans, and Benefits boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com | > New to Forum? Click for Guide <

Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
# 19
vdeepan3
Old 17-09-2010, 10:27 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Not that hard

I just called them on the number mentioned on the above replt. 2 minutes wait and it they accpeted the cancellation straightaway. Quite easy!
# 20
mrsdarbs
Old 17-09-2010, 10:38 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I've had two reports over the past 3/4 years from Credit Expert - both on the free trial and i just make sure I phone up and cancel before they start charging me. Never had any problems from them and they've always been dead helpful.