Lycamobile - anyone?

Options
robatwork
robatwork Posts: 7,095 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
Hi,
Having seen an ad for lycamobile I checked their rates, and they seem very very good for dailling abroad. However their website is rubbish - you can't buy a SIM on there, and the bit where you choose a town or postcode seems very hit or miss, mainly miss. I got one hit where it showed me a newsagent in Switzerland...

Anyway has anybody actually bought and used a lycamobile sim - is it what's promised and how easy etc is it to top up?

cheers

Comments

• iyatoni
    Options
    Last week I submitted a complaint to the Advertising Standards Authority about Lycamobile, as I think their claim of "0p for Lycamobile to Lycamobile calls" are extremely misleading.

n86fb.jpg

The footnote says, "Maximum talktime thirty mins per call. Calls over thirty mins will be charged at nine pence per minute. A call set up fee of fifteen pence will be applied per Lycamobile to Lycamobile call."

So, this 0p per minute calls costs 15p to connect. Then there are no further charges for the first 30 minutes, after which time you're charged 9p per minute, which, you may note, is a higher rate than calling any of the countries on the list, excluding Uganda!

So exactly how is that free in any sense of the word? The fact is you're not able to get any free calls between Lycamobiles without paying 15p for the privilege. And then you only get 30 minutes "free", which equates to 2p per minute in reality.

:mad:
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,095 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good for you - has your complaint gone anywhere?
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    iyatoni wrote: »
    So exactly how is that free in any sense of the word? The fact is you're not able to get any free calls between Lycamobiles without paying 15p for the privilege. And then you only get 30 minutes "free", which equates to 2p per minute in reality.

:mad:

What sense of what word?

The word "free" does not appear in the advert.
  • wolfeyes
    Options
    People please beware the new Lycamobile Plus sim card that is being offered. I have found out that they are falsely advertising the fact that you can send international sms' but you cannot and they just blame it on the receiving network. I have been unable to use mine for 2 weeks and have been lied to and fobbed off continuously by many people through the so called 'help' number. Stick to you original Lycamobile Sim Card because you will gain nothing from 'upgrading'. Please spread the word I am trying to warn as many people as possible.
  • iampaki
    Options
    I am in Australia.. i have been buying Lyca Recharge vouchers from 7phonecard for several months now and they seems to be ok with the rate. Whatever rate they announce, we usually get them.. maybe they are new over here thats why they are giving minutes as promised!!!
  • flybird
    Options
    Totally agree with their issues. They setteled in France for 2 months now. Offerred great rates but although one can place online order for free, one cannot top up online and it is impossible to find a point of sales out of paris.
    Also they said there is no fee but there are when you call abroad.

Was welcoming them but put the sim in the bin as I can not use it because no credit on it.
  • MarkBargain
    MarkBargain Posts: 1,641 Forumite
    Options
    I agree that advert is highly misleading.

I read on another threat that T-Mobile has charged some people for calling Lyca phones rather than take it out of the customer's monthly allocation of minutes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure