Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    purple spider
    How long are insurance companies allowed to keep my details for?
    • 24th Oct 08, 2:44 PM
    How long are insurance companies allowed to keep my details for? 24th Oct 08 at 2:44 PM
    This week I got a phone call asking me about car insurance for a car I haven't owned for at least two years!! The company in question was one i used for a quote for three years ago when i compared prices, but i didnt use them as they were way too expensive.

I explained this to the caller, telling them i no longer owned the car, and to remove my records from their system - but they obviously didnt listen to me as i received a letter this morning saying that i previously asked for a quote, and I could get a free month if I renew my insurance with them. It even has my old car's registration and details on the side panel . I know the guy I sold it to, and he's insured it so the companys information is way out of date!

I'm really not happy about my personal details remaining with the company, and wondered if anyone knew how long insurance companies are allowed to keep my personal details on their system as I thought that companies were only allowed to keep you on file for a certain amount of time, while your details were relevant, certainly not for this long, especially as their information is now totally out of date.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,160Posts Today

6,355Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MoneySavingExp: Hi folks - the site will be down from 10pm tonight until 8am tomorrow while we re-charge the batteries with some behind?

• Uk dominating world long jump.Who'd have thought it. Kathy Cook's British 200m record about to go I think. #Beijing2015

• RT @MoneySavingExp: If you're affected by the #HSBC payments glitch, here's what you need to do (more to follow, when we get it): http://t.?

• Follow Martin