Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Phones & TV > Mobiles > Re: Unlocking mobiles (untested) (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Re: Unlocking mobiles (untested)
Closed Thread
Views: 144,109
# 1
fuelman
Old 21-09-2003, 7:03 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Re: Unlocking mobiles (untested)

Insert by Martin

The original post on this thread has dissappeared, so I thought I would write a mini-intro to start it off.

What is unlocking?

This means enabling your phone to work with a compatible Sim card from any mobile network. It is possible to simply unlock a mobile phone by putting in a code found via software. *

Isn't it illegal?

Nope, this is a common misunderstanding.

UNLOCKING - which means being able to use your phone with any network's sim card in it ( legal).

UNBLOCKING means making a phone work when a phone is rendered unusable after a report of theft. *Unblocking is illegal and therefore should not and does not form a part of this thread.

Many mobile retailers and networks will offer to Unlock a phone for you - for a fee, this thread is about how to do it for free.

Martin

As the top thread is deleted, I have copied links from MoneySaver Rebel's post below, to some websites which offer unlocking codes.

http://www.unlockme.co.uk/dct4free.html

http://www.irwebonline.com/

http://www.dr-nokia.co.uk/

http://www.techgsm.com/

http://www.cubwolf.co.uk/

All Sites are legal and software is also legal freeware.

rebel

Now back to Fuelman's own post

well spotted, i have downloaded the unlocking program and it works. I just unlocked my nokia 3510i which was locked to orange.I might start a wee sideline now. ;D

Last edited by MSE Martin; 27-01-2005 at 1:02 AM.
# 2
SPL
Old 22-09-2003, 1:27 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Superb stuff. Especially if you buy phones from Ebay or other second hand places. There's usually stalls at markets for this type of thing but they charge a tenner a time. Nice one Kellamne. ;D
# 3
Sarahsaver
Old 22-09-2003, 6:55 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Help a sometimes not very technically minded person here...
now ive seen an offer on a phone i like but on a different network does this mean i can unlock it myself?
and excuse me for asking this but if the file is on my pc how does it get in the phone? do i need a cable or just input codes?
help!
# 4
MSE Martin
Old 22-09-2003, 7:50 PM
Money Saving Expert
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I think this is a particularly good tip. At the least it is a saving of roughly 30 that the networks would charge you to unlock your phone (and their delay). I have checked the legality with top Carphone Warehouse boffins.

It's important we differentiate between unlocking a phone - and unblocking a phone that has been reported lost or stolen. I am only referring to the first case.

Carphone Warehouse say

"It's not illegal, and you can supposedley get it done at some of the smaller retailers or find out how to do it through the internet. You can also request if from Orange, who will charge approximately 30 and may make you pay the outstanding line rental on your contract."

Rest assured this will be Money Tipped soon!
The Following User Says Thank You to MSE Martin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Old 22-09-2003, 11:17 PM

I finally registered_but on a different PC (dont know if that makes a difference_but I couldn't log in to type this).

I am now looking to buy a cable to unlock the 3310/30's that my mates have_such a popular phone.
Has anyone tried this yet, and is the software with it on subscription_or freeware (like the above calculator). The plan was to buy the cable as a co-op, to offset the cost, then i would keep the cable at the end, distributing any further profits evenly afterwards.

Note to SARAHSAVER: The software generates a code to type into phone_but as noted it may breach your annual contract?? I did mine on PAYG.
# 6
Old 22-09-2003, 11:20 PM

just realised how dodgy name above looks in context to the subject title...nothing to worry about though
# 7
kellamne
Old 23-09-2003, 3:14 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

(Login problem->Realised I was using wrong password_DOH!)

REPLY TO:
"kaz Posted on: Sep 22nd, 2003, 9:07pm
hi all,
I'm having trouble with unlocking the phone. My problem is that when you type in the code as shown ,what happen next?Is the phone supposed to send a kind of message after the last code is entered?
thanks
kaz"

When I unlocked mine I had to take out the sim card, put battery bck in and then turn it back on_and just type the code in. The unlock message came up straight away, and instantly recognised my new O2 sim card following this. Hope this helps.
# 8
debeast
Old 23-09-2003, 11:16 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Wow very cool gonna unlock every phone i see now !!!
# 9
dazzyjay
Old 23-09-2003, 1:32 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I get the file up and running, then it says. Projekt 1 . Class not registered you need the following file to be installed on your manhine. MSSTDFMT.DLL with just ok as a option

In the instructions for the unblocking program it says If the program asks for MSSTDFMT.DLL then double click "Easy Register.reg"
and click YES. Then Right click MSSTDFMT.DLL and select Register.

only I do not get this option, I am running on XP Pro
can anyone help
cheers
Daz ???
# 10
Old 23-09-2003, 5:56 PM

I am looking to unlock my t68i phone in a few months for a trip i plan to go on in which i will be using another sim card for that country.

can anyone tell me where i get the info for this? it looks as if this one posted is only for nokia phones?
# 11
Old 23-09-2003, 6:16 PM

Quote:
I get the file up and running, then it says. Projekt 1 . Class not registered you need the following file to be installed on your manhine. MSSTDFMT.DLL !with just ok as a option

In the instructions for the unblocking program it says If the program asks for MSSTDFMT.DLL then double click "Easy Register.reg"
and click YES. Then Right click MSSTDFMT.DLL and select Register.

only I do not !get this option, I am running on XP Pro
can anyone help
cheers
Daz ???
The file "Easy Register.reg" is located in the insatllation folder. You need to double click it and then right click MSSTDFMT.DLL

Can someone please confirm what has to be typed into the phone -- the instructions say "Type First code into locked phone... " - what do you type in? The first line starting *#pw etc or all 7 of them? Also, once a line is entered, do you have to hit anything else after the last '#' or should the "Sim Restriction Off" message come up as soon as the last # is entered?

When it suggests trying the +7 or +5 number, does this mean typing in the line that ends with the +7 or +5 or does it mean changing the +1 digit in the first code to +7? I don't want to guess otherwise I may use up my 5 goes!

Red
# 12
Old 23-09-2003, 7:08 PM

;D
I had an Orange mobile which I 'paid' Orange to unlock (I say 'paid' as they never charged me in the end). I asked them to do this as my mother-in-law lives in an Orange dead zone, and I needed an alternative sim. (no jokes about mother-in-laws...) Just recently, I upgraded my telephone, and yes you guessed it, the phone is again locked. When I rang in to confirm that I had taken delivery of the phone, I asked the Orange representative if I had to pay again to unlock the new phone. He said yes, but recommended there were plenty of people out there who could do it for 10. I searched the Web and found http://www.unlockme.co.uk/dct4free.html for my Nokia phone. It worked fine. Most of the people who charge 10, are using this or similar software. Thank you ORANGE for saving me 10 at least....
# 13
megajjc
Old 23-09-2003, 10:53 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Send a message via AIM to megajjc

Hi Everyone,
Does anyone know how to unlock a samsung T100 or have any ideas on where to find info on unlocking it???
""Big up the Martins Massive"" ;D
# 14
Rebel_UK
Old 24-09-2003, 12:56 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi All,

As a member of another forum that is generally directed to mobile phone users retailers etc, you might like to try this little program (link Below) it is the easiest Nokia DCT4 unlocker I have used, and there is a document file that explains exactly how to use it. Some DCT4 unlockers only work on Win98 or 98SE This one works on all Windows O\S's

http://gsmhelp.info/download.php?id=258

Document File http://members.aol.com/rebeluk/nokiadct4unlock.zip

All Files !Checked for viruses but Please Recheck yourselves.

If you cannot connect to the link, try this thread http://gsmhelp.info/viewforum.php?f=66 (DCT4 Code Generator Files) and select the topic : Another One THX to Rebel UK.

Rebel
# 15
criple
Old 24-09-2003, 1:00 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I must be well thick as i followed the instructions but all i get is, this file is too large for norepad would you like to use wordpad instead. If I right click it doesn't come up with 'save target as' just the usual delete, rename etc, does this mean I haven't got winzip and I need that do you think? cheers
# 16
Rebel_UK
Old 24-09-2003, 1:35 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi Criple,

Sounds like you don't have any unpacking (uncompression tools) programs on your pc try www.winzip.com, download and install it you can use it unregistered you just put up with the nag screen. Once installed when you double click the zip file winzip will open the archive for you, select edit\select all and extract all the files to a directory on your pc. then you can run the program.

here are a few links for people looking for tools\cables\software to unlock your phones, and it is not illegal to unlock a phone however it is now illegal to unblock a restricted\stolen or reported lost phone.

http://www.123unlock.co.uk/

http://www.irwebonline.com/

http://www.dr-nokia.co.uk/

http://www.unlockme.co.uk/dct4free.html

http://www.techgsm.com/

http://www.cubwolf.co.uk/

All Sites are legal and software is also legal freeware.

rebel
# 17
criple
Old 24-09-2003, 2:09 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thanks rebel,

I've downloaded winzip but it still only seems to be opeing the code in wordpad. I'm a bit tired now so i'll try again tomorrow, thanks anyway, Steph
# 18
Old 24-09-2003, 2:36 AM

i,

All three Nokia phones I have owned have been unlocked - i.e. I have been able to pop in other sim cards and use them without any problem. I recently got a free upgrade on T Mobile and gave the phoen to my wife who has an O2 pay as you go sim card which she is now happily using. So before you try to unlock - just try another sim card it may work.

B
# 19
Old 24-09-2003, 4:45 AM

please could you send an e-mail to me on how to unlock my mobile phone
# 20
uungy
Old 24-09-2003, 5:19 AM
MoneySaving Convert

As of yet the FREE unlocking is only available for the Nokias. Older phones ie 3310,8210,3330,5510.... need a cable and (free) program to unlock it (which is simple to use). Here are the instructions needed to unlock the phones with via codes.

To find out the unlock code its very simple when you know how. First you need
the IMEI, network code and phone model.

To find your imei type *#06# in to your handset.
Network code is the network the phone was locked to, ie orange uk, vodaphone uk, etc ....
then the phone model (they all are considered type 2 except for 7650 and 3650 look at the program for more info)

Type in the Imei

select the network code (or type it in if you know it already)

Calculate!!

You will then recieve a list of 7, 15 digit codes. It will look like this:

#pw+852471670066473+1#
#pw+783170102173573+2#
#pw+189234006714231+3#
#pw+797870310510572+4#
#pw+895831117360732+5#
#pw+948332463665631+6#
#pw+787430007566133+7#

For different networks they lock different locks. Each code also unlocks different locks.
You need to type your code into your handset as follows

You should always try code 7 then 5 and 1.

So you would type
#pw+705550724347656+7# - code 7, or other codes

so to all three codes.

remember you only have five tries, after that you have a problem, if it says not accepted dont
try the same number again.

To get the 'p' push your '*' key 3 times, the 'w' is the '*' pushed 4 times.

When the lock has been removed it will say "SIM restriction off" or something similar.
Closed Thread