Dodgy wording in a will ?

Options
John_Pierpoint
John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
I am the sole executor for an elderly relative who has just died. He was a childless widower.
He has left a two page will.
It looks pretty simple (and I have simplified it a bit more because I don't need to post two pages before asking the question)
There are some bequests handing out personal property.
Then there is a list of 10 people getting 5K each, mainly nieces & nephews.
At the top of the list the first two entries read:
I dog leave my elder sister cat the sum of five thousand pounds.
I dog leave my younger sister mouse the sum of five thousand pounds.
Then at the foot of the will there is an extra clause it reads:
I bequeath all the rest residue of my estate unto my executor upon trust that he shall divide the same amongst all the legatees mentioned in clause (x) of this my Will fractionally according to the value of each legacy bequeathed by the appropriate sub clause thereof.

Let us pretend that the total value of the estate (less the personal property bequests) is 100,000 pounds.
So it looks simple each "legatee" gets 5,000 as instructed by the will plus their 10 percent share of the residue. That is 100 - (10 x5) = 50 / 10 = 5K each. QED.
So 10 happy smiling beneficiaries will get 10,000 each.

HOWEVER cat and mouse are both dead.

So, because they are not dog's children, their 10,000 cannot be paid out. So the residuary is now 60,000.
Who gets what of that 60,000.
[Perhaps bequeath has a strange legal meaning I don't understand, but in my opinion there are missing words such as "being alive at my death" or "that shall survive me for 28 days" or "if either should die before me leaving children (which they did) then these children............. "]

Any thoughts?

John

Tag: Mr Dog
Partially Intestate

Comments

• floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    Options
    When was the will made? Perhaps it was written in the "style" of the time in which it was written, or perhaps he was not aware that those phrases would be expected by his executor?
  • s12s
    s12s Posts: 154 Forumite
    Options
    Is it Scottish or English? Not sure on English but for Scottish ones if its silent as to a 'whom failing' then the bequest falls and so the £10k that can not be paid out to the deceased legatees falls to the residue with the residuary beneficiaries sharing it. The clauses you have written are ones you might expect where someone intends the bequest to go down that line though its not wrong not to have them. I would be fairly sure that its the same for English wills.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,115 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I would have thought that cat and mouse's heirs will inherit their share.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,132 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Did either Cat or Mouse have children? If yes, then their £10k would be split equally between each of their children.

i.e. if Cat had 4 children, then they'd get £2500 each.

If one of them had NO children, then the £10k share would presumably be shared out amoungst the other 9???
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • celyn90
    celyn90 Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    In my understanding (I'm not a legal professional btw; OH just did his will a few weeks ago, so I've been reading a lot!) - if the will states a beneficary and the beneficary is dead then the will has to actually state what happens to their share otherwise it becomes residue; heirs or not. I don't think it passes to the children of the desceased beneficary directly unless that is what the will states (in OH's will for example, he was told to he had to state that in the event of his sisters death - if there are children, her share goes to them, if no children then it goes to his brother)

If the will was drawn up professionally then someone should have been nominated to recieve the residuary gift - what was left over out of the estate. It looks like from what you have posted that you should divide the residual; in the ratio the gift was divided originally - including the 10K originally for the deceased siblings amongst the other benfecaries as the will does not state explicitly that the heirs recieve the share. I'd ask a solicitor to check it over just to be sure.
    :staradmin:starmod: beware of geeks bearing .gifs...:starmod::staradmin
    :starmod: Whoever said "nothing is impossible" obviously never tried to nail jelly to a tree :starmod:
  • localhero
    Options
    Hi John_Pierpoint,

I am afraid this is a very poorly written Will and you are right to have concerns.

The specific gifts of £5000 each to the 8 nieces and nephews who survive the deceased are easy enough. Where cat and mouse have died before the deceased, unless there is specifically a substitute named to take the gifts, then those 2 gifts will fail.

Pinkshoes, what you are thinking of only applies where a child of the deceased predeceases leaving children and not in the case of the OP, as cat and mouse weren't children of the deceased.

The failed gifts must now be added into the residue and so that will be £60,000. Now we come to the tricky part. It seems that this must be divided proportionately among the list, and if they all received the same amount, then it will be divided equally.

However there is some poor drafting here, because it should say "I bequeath all the rest residue of my estate unto my executor upon trust that he shall divide the same amongst all the legatees who survive me mentioned in clause (x) of this my Will fractionally according to the value of each legacy bequeathed by the appropriate sub clause thereof."

Then it would be a simple case of dividing the residue amongst the eight. However it could be argued that the residue is divided by 10 and for the two that have died there is a partial intestacy of £6000 each.

Where there is a partial intestacy, the law will dictate where that money goes and there is a strict pecking order, which I won't go into here. Alternatively it could also be argued the other way - that the deceased actually intended the 10 to receive the estate between them.

Now if the closest relatives surviving the deceased are all the nieces and nephews listed in the Will, then there is no problem - you simply divide it among them. If instead there is a closer living relative like a brother or sister they might argue the £12,000 goes to them instead.

I wouldn't like to be in your shoes here, as you are legally liable - so if you distribute it among the 8 and a brother or sister argue later that there is a partial intestacy you could have problems.

Before you do anything else it might be an idea to gain the opinion of the Registrar at the Probate office as you may require the court to rectify or interpret the Will. I'm afraid the opinions of solicitors may differ so I would talk to the Registrar first.

I would be very interested to know if this Will was drafted by a solicitor. Anyway best of luck, and by the way bequeath simply means give.

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Public wealth warning![/FONT][FONT=&quot] It's not compulsory for solicitors or Willwriters to pass an exam in writing Wills - probably the most important thing you’ll ever sign.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Membership of the Institute of Professional Willwriters is acquired by passing an entrance exam and complying with an OFT endorsed code of practice, and I declare myself a member.[/FONT]
  • SmlSave
    SmlSave Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Gosh - i know it would be expensive but is there a solicitor near you that does free half hours?
    Currently studying for a Diploma - wish me luck :)

Phase 1 - Emergency Fund - Complete :j
    Phase 2 - £20,000 Mortgage Fund - Underway
  • John_Pierpoint
    Options
    Ho Hum, I rather expected something along the lines of Localhero's reply.
    When I extracted the will from a safe deposit box, I thought "this looks dodgy", so I spent the lunch hour in the local Library and convinced myself that the outcome is even worse than Localhero hero thinks; rechecking the intestacy rules confirms Localhero's analysis. [At one point I was wondering if I should invite Prince Charles to the wake, but now it looks like Alistair Darling is the only potential beneficiary who is not on the guest list.]
    I will post again after having a bit more of a think and explain that even allowing for the death of cat & mouse as surmised above there would be some gainers and some losers, as not all the other 8 are the progeny of cat & mouse.
    The hint is that he was a widower - yes he used to have a wife and guess what that wife had relatives too.
    The total involved is likely to be considerably greater than 100K, if you can tell me what will have happened to house prices in (say) a year's time, so we already have this possibility.
    "My mum dies 6 months ago so I'm going to get 1/8th of her xx,000 inheritance while those two barstewards over there, who I never liked anyway, are getting twice as much as me of mum's inheritance." I hope I am joking, but you get my drift!

Yes it is an English will, drawn up less than 10 years ago, by a now retired solicitor (I've been checking!)

Anyone else got some more thoughts?
  • John_Pierpoint
    Options
    SmlSave wrote: »
    Gosh - i know it would be expensive but is there a solicitor near you that does free half hours?

I think localhero has given me a free half hour already?
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,132 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The hint is that he was a widower - yes he used to have a wife and guess what that wife had relatives too.
    Yes it is an English will, drawn up less than 10 years ago, by a now retired solicitor (I've been checking!)

Was the will drawn up before or after his wife died?

i.e. if it was before, then did his wife have a will that stated that her assets went to him, and upon his death her share of X Y and Z would then be split amongst her relatives/siblings etc...?!?
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure